Who here is OCD about their guitar looking matched (hardware, etc)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ledzep618, Feb 2, 2015.

1. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I used to be outright militant about it. Now, I honestly don't care. A year ago you wouldn't have caught me dead with a guitar that didn't have matched hardware. Now I'm rocking an SG with chrome hardware but mismatched gold pickups and a Strat that has been gutted and has electrical tape covering the middle and neck pickup slots and a p90 in the bridge. And guess what...I scrapped all the parts from extra stuff laying around and both guitars totally rip beyond their original state.

2. gigs

gigs Member

All my guitars get worked on, parts swapped/replaced, etc. I don't care if things match. I got other OCD things to take of.

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

OCD? No.
    But I prefer the hardware to match.

4. dubdub

dubdub Member

Me, lol, I have to have matching covers on the pickups

5. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

Definitely have to have everything match on my guitars and looking pretty :aok

6. bentonfalls

bentonfalls Member

Not really, but when it comes to the shoulder strap, heck yes, for me, the color/design of the strap has to match the vibe of the guitar.

7. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

I can just about put up with mixing polished stainless and chrome, but wouldn't mix chrome and nickel.

I'm really picky about plastics matching too, which is why I bought a LP Custom instead of a standard!

8. rotlung

rotlung Member

I own three guitars. They are all butterscotch blonde teles with singly ply black pickguards. How's that for OCD?

9. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

It's obviously beautiful to have all styles of the guitar in harmony together and look really classy! But at the same time I like when hardware looks out of place and just retarded. I don't know why. I've thought about putting frets of pure gold (just brass but pure gold sounds sick!!!! Who knows if it works good) or a gold tailpiece on my chrome hardware black 72 telecaster custom. And also just really aged pickups look cool to the point where they don't look gold anymore

10. jpervin

jpervin Member

Well played, sir!

11. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Big time. I get all sweaty if I see mismatched knobs or pickups or pickup rings or whatever.

12. Kato10

Kato10 Member

I'm OCD about everything, my guitars, my cars, my motorcycles, etc. Don't see that changing.

13. rummy

rummy Member

I like things matched, but I don't think that makes me OCD.

14. HCarlH

HCarlH Member

My '87 Japanese Squier came with a single layer pick guard like in the 50s. I bought a 70s style neck with jumbo frets several years ago and changed the pick guard to a 3 layer to match the period correct 70s look.

Now, I'm refretting the original neck to put back on and I'll get another single layer pick guard to match so it's period correct once again.

I don't even play Sweet Home Alabama with a humbucking guitar. :nono

15. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

I like the straps to match the color of the guitar, if possible. I also prefer nickel hardware over chrome, and only after I bought a nickel 57 classic plus to put in the bridge of my 1980 SG standard did I realize that all other hardware on that guitar was chrome. Oops!

But yes, I prefer all my hardware to match. And we won't even get into color matching on my car...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  16. kev

kev Member

the only time it really bugs me is if I was the one to have lost or busted the ONE matching part...LOL

Albert Einstein's closet called, it wishes to know when the guitars will be returned to complete the seven day set as per spec...:D

seriously, great approach, just needs three tweeds for your dry/dry/dry mono rig!!

I am seriously jealous!

17. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

'65-mid/late '70's Gibsons always kinda bothered me.

18. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I have a couple strats that are pretty modded. They look like players.

19. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

20. Mars Rover

Mars Rover Member

Who thinks this guitar looks bad with mismatched pickup colors? It doesn’t bother me too much but I may get a cream HB eventually. I bought this new a year ago when MF was blowing out Blacktop Jazzmasters for $299. I didn’t care for the black guard and all black plastic parts so I changed to tortoise and cream. I bought a cream plastic cover for the HB but it won’t fit, probably because the pu is f-spaced. If I can find an f-spaced nickel cover, that may look better. At that time, the only drop-in fit tort guard was made by WD for $80 but I got one for a $30 bid on eBay. I could not find white or cream JM witch hat knobs so these are strat knobs. Fender now has cream JM knobs that I have on order but are now on backorder forever. I think I’ll get them eventually, MF updates me weekly. If you get one of these, be prepared to upgrade the pots, jack and tone cap (which was the wrong value).
    [​IMG]