• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who Here Likes Marty Robbins?

radicool

I'm in. Marty was great, a real talent. On a related note, a couple of months ago I was in the tiny little town of Wilcox, Arizona. There's not much in that town, but what they did have was a little Marty Robbins museum. I had no idea that such a place existed. It was closed the day I was there, so I don't know what was in there.

scotty31

My father in law is a big fan. Rates him above Elvis.
When i first heard him, i immediately thought of Gene Pitney (who my dad played regularly when i was young and i do enjoy), but there is a very different element to Marty.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
My dad used to play his records when I was a kid. He’s a big NASCAR fan, so there was that connection with Marty, but he legit liked his music as well.

I have early memories, from preschool age, of playing on the floor in my parents room, dad “doing bills” at his old rolltop desk, and Robbins playing on the turntable. Then dad walking around the house singing White Sport Coat.

cameronwho

Silver Supporting Member
Marty Robins, Jim Croce, and Johnny Horton were the first artists I remember listening to as a kid on 8 track. I didn’t learn until years later the title of that album was Gunfighter Ballads. I always thought it was a guy’s name: Gunfighter Ballis.

Finj

Grady Martin played the wonderful guitar fills on "El Paso". I don't believe he repeats himself once.
I recently heard "El Paso" while driving to Texas - It was Marty, it appeared to be the exact same track we're used to hearing but it had none of those wonderful guitar fills - Just space between the vocals - Any info? Also, The Tubes used to perform "El Paso" live, way back in the day - Absolutely killer! - Cowboy outfits, fake blood... :)

PRW

Check this one out with Tompall and the Glaser Brothers backing him (not great quality but shows how he could bring the goods live).

PRW

He also wasn't a bad race car driver, started 35 NASCAR races over the years and had one top-five (at Michigan) and six top-10 finishes (two in the prestigious Southern 500 at Darlington, one each at Talladega, Daytona, the former track at Ontario, California, and Michigan). Those are some tough places and that ain't a bad record for someone just doing it as a hobby.

Trending Topics