• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who Here Likes Marty Robbins?

DRS

The whole NASCAR thing is fascinating. Marty once deliberately hit the wall to avoid t-boning another driver who had spun out and thereby saved the other driver's life.

PRW

The whole NASCAR thing is fascinating. Marty once deliberately hit the wall to avoid t-boning another driver who had spun out and thereby saved the other driver's life.
While he was alive, Marty traditionally closed the show on Saturdays at the Opry. The reason for that is that he'd go race at the Nashville fairgrounds short track ... where he actually won races on the local level ... and then run to the Opry to sing. That was during the days when the Opry was at the Ryman, the race track was only 2.6 miles away from the Ryman. The new Opry house is like 12 miles away from the track.

Stx

I was just noticing two days ago, that the average age for "Big Iron" fans has suddenly dropped to 11 years old.
Video game. 14 MILLION hits, and an unbelievable flood of grotesque mishmash re-edits that have appeared on Youtube, mostly in the past 10 months or so. The record is immortal for the foreseeable.

'56 Merc

Love Marty. I've always been a sucker for those guys with that kind of vocal range,Marty, Roy Orbison, Chris Isaak, Narvel Felts, Freddie Hart, Raul Malo.
Some early country fuzz tone
With some B3
A favorite of mine

Tahitijack

My Dad was a big fan, played his albums when I was a kid. As I grew up I started to appreciate the music. As has been said he had so many things going on, I always thought a biopic about Marty's life should be made.

27sauce

He did that one to get out of trouble with the IRS. Royalties from this one and El Paso went straight to his debt. He also did some travel PSA’s for El Paso and his estate donated the use of “El Paso” to UTEP for use in their fight song.

His failure to pay taxes resulted in some great music. National treasure for sure, lol.

Lwilliams

Gold Supporting Member
Love Marty Robbins.

My bass player from back in 86 - 95 was Marty's last touring bass man. He has tapes of recording sessions he was playing on for Marty. We've listened to them a few times. Unfinished, rough mixes. There was some really great stuff to come.

When we do listen, he usually has to stop the tapes. He becomes really emotional.

(He also toured as Jerry Lee Lewis' bass man before Marty.)

Reactions: BJW

stanshall

some of the great Grady Martin's best records were made with Marty Robbins, and I'm a big fan of Grady Martin's playing

truth be told though as a teenager I learned about Marty Robbins from the Dead's versions of El Paso

and Kingfish's version of Big Iron too

Peppy

Love Marty Robbins.

My bass player from back in 86 - 95 was Marty's last touring bass man.
An acquaintance of mine was supposedly Marty's last guitar player. John "JD" Hoag. JD also toured with Nokie Edwards towards the end of Nokie's days and was also a member of one of the versions of The Ventures. JD had lessons from Chet Atkins. As fine a local guitar player as I have ever heard. JD died from SARS-CoV-2 about five weeks ago.

stephenT

My first two albums I owned, 11 years old,.. were Marty Robbin's "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs" and The Ink Spots "Greatest Hits". Third was Ray's "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music".

Still defines my interests today.

Trending Topics