Who here owns a Dr. Z Mini Z?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by firebird1999us, Jul 7, 2006.

1. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I'm very intrigued by them and am considering picking one up...I obviously don't expect to use it in a live situation or for rehersal. I'm just looking for something portable that can get a cranked sound without killing small woodland creatures.

So who has it and how do you like it?

Chris

2. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I used to own one and it sounded incredible. I sold it because the 8" speaker didn't have the bottom end in the medium gain range of the amp. Sounded amazing cranked though. Definately worth the money! It is however louder than you might expect...only 1/2 as loud as a 50 watt amp. When it is cranked it is still way too loud for a bedroom amp.

3. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

See I'm kind of going back and forth on this one because I know the tone is there and it will be just the sound I want -- but I'm worried that it might be a novelty amp. Don't get me wrong I've got all the versitility I need in my guitars tone pots/volume controls so that isn't the issue. I guess the volume thing is what's got me thinking. Although I want an amp that I can run flat out and even 18 watters can be a bit to much for that sometimes.

Do you think it would work well in small acoustic volume gigs situations? Ever plug it into a 4x12?

Chris

4. OLIE J

OLIE J Member

I have one and love it. Great little amps. I even use mine at band practice quite often. It can be a little loud for bedroom playing when you have it cranking, but it sounds so good!

5. Tasweigan

Tasweigan Member

I own one of these little beasts and they are great. Yep, they are louder than you might imagine but you get that "real" amp feel.
    I have gigged mine in a solo/duo accoustic format and it works great for this. Nice cranked amp tone that won't blow the accoustic player out of the room. Love the load in! I also just for kicks one night used it in a cover band playing mainly rock/pop covers. We miked it and it sounded pretty huge hearing it coming from behind and also out front through the PA.
    One guy in the audience even said I was too loud!!! I said, "Yeah, those 5 watt amps have a tendancy to do that"! As the band got louder it started getting a little thin, but it cut the small club pretty well. Not much of a clean sound to be had though. It's very handy for rehearsals too if you're just rehearsing in the house or garage.
    Sounds great into other cabs, although it does run at 4 ohms.
    Hope that helps.

6. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Awesome -- thanks for all the responses guys!

Anybody else want to share some Mini Z experiences?

Chris

7. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

8. rooster

rooster Member

I'm in the minority. I played one, had to replace a preamp tube. Didn't like it much. I'm not really into the whole "micro-amp" thing. The speaker sounded ratty and tinny, and the distortion sucked. Didn't much care for the cleans (what there were, which was not much with the EL84), either.

But that's me. It looked really cool, though.

rooster.

9. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Wow -- great videos!

Do you know about how high he was turning up in those clips?

Chris

10. kaseri

kaseri Member

Based on the tone I would say that BW has the volume up around 3 O'Clock on the dial. Thats rather loud when it comes to the Mini.

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Man, Buddy needs to lay off the fried foods or something.

12. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Theres a Bad Cat Mini Cat II in the emporium right now that you may want to consider as well. I've heard good things about them.

13. CrossHair

CrossHair Member

When I got mine the damn speaker had a problem so I returned it... can't comment... was disappointed. I bet you get it and hope you are pleased.
    Ken

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

You want my opinion?

Tiny amps from boutique makers are a waste of time and money.
    You'd be better off buying something like a BF Vibro Champ (best BF tremelo as well), get it tuned, play it and watch it climb in value too.

That is what I think, anyway.

Best, Pete.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Hard to argue with Pete's point of view. For that matter, BF Princeton Reverbs and tweed Champs are in the price ballpark too, and very cool. They sweat just like the boutiques.

16. myles111

myles111 Member

Chris,

You have no location specified here but if you are near Los Angeles you are more than welcome to borrow mine and try it out.

If you look on the Brad Paisley website at www.bradpaisley.com you can see how many of the tracks on his current CD had the mini Z on them.

17. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Myles -- I really appreciate the invite but I'm actually across the country in Cartersville, Georgia.

I've been waiting for the newer Orange Tiny terror to come out and I think I might just wait for that since I like my Rockerverb 50 halfstack so much.

Chris

18. myles111

myles111 Member

Chris - happy playing with the Orange!