Who Here Plays a Signature Guitar Because You Like How It Plays/Sounds Not Because...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Josh O, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

...it's played by that person? I was thinking about this the other day after looking at some of the new Charvel EVH guitars. I have an EBMM John Petrucci JP6 and I love it through and through, by far one of my all time faves. Now don't get me wrong, I think Petrucci is awesome, I have his solo album, saw him at a clinic earlier this year but I'm not the biggest Dream Theater fan and I can't say that Petrucci is one of my guitar heroes per se. But his model guitar is such a well laid out, very ergonomically correct, well built guitar I would've bought it if EBMM simply called it "Guitar". Who else here plays a signature model guitar primarily because it fit your needs, not becuase "insert name here" plays one?

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have a Brian Setzer Signature Gretsch, and I don't play anything like Brian does. I just loved his tone. I actually don't like that it has his signature on it. But it's a great instrument, and fun to play.

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

If you look at my sig, you can see that I don't mind owning a sig guitar :) I also owned a a Jimmie Vaughan strat, a bunch of James Burton teles, a Sambora strat and a donahue tele. And a Clapton strat, lest I forget :)

Do I own them because of the name on the headstock? Nope. Do I own them because they sound and feel great? Yup. I mean, who here will disagree that a Robert Cray strat sounds like a dream? Who will disagree that the neck on an SRV strat is a thing of beauty?

On the other hand, I would not own a sig guitar of a guy I can't stand. For example, no John Mayer strat for me. I know it's supposed to be a great guitar, but no thanks, no way... my loss I suppose.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have a Fender CS Clapton Strat, and would've bought it regardless of what they called it. That boost knob is addictive and does so much with the tone. Tons of lattitude. I first played a friends for about 5 minutes and was immediately hooked. They could have called it their Cowshit Strat and I would have still bought it. AC

5. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

EJ strat. I am a fan of his music....... but I wouldn't own one if it wasn't the best strat I've played.

6. gapple88

gapple88 Member

Fender CS Robert Cray,

Tried it, like it very much...

Till i saw the price :jo :eek:

........Bot it

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Not a big fan of Les Paul's music. Love the guitars.

8. LTE

LTE Member

A Joe Perry Les Paul (1st run). Very thick guitar all round (body and neck). I get great jazz tones. Plus, because the guitar is so heavy, nobody ever asks to borrow it.

:D

9. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I don't care for EJ's tone, but I picked up an EJ at GC and it was just the best feeling and playing strat I ever had. The neck was just made for my hands. I might change out the pickups for something hotter though.

10. phretbored

phretbored Member

GIBSON JOHNNY A....

....an amazing looking, playing, feeling, and sounding instrument

....even in my hands :D

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Another EJ owner here. I actually like the fact that he doesn't have his signature anywhere on this guitar. I have a few other strats, but this one has been my main gigging guitar since I got it last August. I love the feel and I love the tone. It sustains better than any other strat I own.

12. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

Add another Johnny A player here.

I do like a lot of his stuff, but that isn't what sent me in the direction of this guitar. I was looking for a 336 and a friend told me about the Johnny A he had played on a NAMM trip. His description piqued my interest and one thing led to another. I am very happy with this axe.

13. anyone

anyone Member

EBMM Van Halen(EVH?) then Axis. Great playing, feeling and sounding guitar. I could never play like the guy and wouldn't really want to, but I love the guitar. Do wish it had a conventional tone knob though...

14. broknstuff

broknstuff Member

I don't actually own it, but I was going to post to say the EBMM JP6. I keep an eye on ebay for it now and again... Don't like dream theater that much, but that guitar neck/feel is absolutely fantastic. Actually when I first played one years ago I had only heard of who JP was, and never heard any of his music. So I loved the guitar without any preconceived notions/tones in my head.

15. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I wanted a strat with a neck like a PRS. The EJ is closest to what I wanted, and it has nitro as well. The guitar has surpassed all my needs and then some.

16. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

so i have to ask... why wouldn't you own one "Even if it was the best strat you played"? i hear stuff like this a lot in regards to signature instruments. not that i mind or anything so don't take my question wrong... but i'm curious as to why?

=======================================================

as for the original question: i own an EJ strat... have none of his music in my collection

i own a les paul... and have none of his music in my collection

i like the features on these guitars... pure and simple... so -to me- didn't make any diff what these guitars were called.

17. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I have an EVH. I really wanted a straight out rock guitar and picked up an EVH out of curiosity. I fell in love with the neck and had to have. I thought about it for a while as owning the guitar with THAT paint job is a little annoying. It's really a cool guitar with a great neck. I may just put an ax sack over it if I ever have to play out with it.

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I play a Les Paul because they rock, not because I want to be associated with Les Paul or his playing. I've gone to great lengths air-brushing out SRV's signature on the headstock of an SRV neck that I own. I'm gonna find a cool sticker for the back of the headstock of my JV Strat. At least it IS on the back of the headstock...

jb

19. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

SRV Strat - best guitar I've ever owned or played - hands down.

Dick Dale Strat - cool switching and awesome color.

Eric Johnson - really, whatelse can be said?

Reverend Horton Heat Gretsch - Got that great Gretsch sound.

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Just out of curiosity- do you cover logos too? Like the Fender and Gibson logos on the headstocks, or cover or remove the logos from your amps?

I'm not asking to be a knob- Donovan had the Gibson logo on his J-45 covered with white tape when he went to India with the Beatles. When I'd seen the Foo Fighters in the past, they had the Mesa logos on their amps covered with duck tape. After I had some quality/customer service issues with an amp company I removed or covered all the logos on their amps and cabs I own.