Who here still has full stacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Darth Weller, Jul 29, 2018.

1. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

Exactly. In this town you're lucky if you can your Blues junior up to 4:)

2. Produktsumme

Produktsumme Member

Trust me, BE100 without a (preferably V30 loaded) quad? A crime.

3. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Got rid of my full/half stacks back in the late 70's. The clubs are smaller and there's not quite as much room onstage.

Back in the "good old days" the other guitarist and I both had full stacks.

Darth Weller likes this.
  4. Serenity

Serenity Member

I have a Marshall 8100 with a 4x10, but i don't gig with it anymore.

DiPa and Darth Weller like this.
  5. MantraSky

MantraSky Supporting Member

It’s been a while since I’ve used 4x12’s since the 80’s where I had six 4x12 cabinets four Marshall 50w heads and two that were set up with Fender heads “foot switching” to play either Marshall & Fender together or alone (Depending how large the gig).

Since the 90’s on, 2x12’s have been my “easier to carry” where they work for me and my Alltime favorite would be my 10yr old Bogner OS closed 2x12 (V30’s), along with my BE-100 that Dave has done some great mods for me, great combination of clean to high-gain for gigs, modeling for studio sessions.

Darth Weller likes this.
  6. InkStained

InkStained Member

I have a full stack in every room of my house.

Including the bathrooms.

7. JonSick

JonSick Member

I still use full stacks. The rare time where you get a competent sound guy, it sounds glorious. Where you get an idiot, nobody sounds good anyway so meh.

However everytime there's a guitarist with a modeller running direct to PA, it always sounds digital and often the guitar tone is this haze you hear over the top of everything. But at least the snare and vocals are extremely clear.

8. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

Both cabinets I own have V30s but I was meaning the amp head would be up for sale... just wonder what I could get for it..

9. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

i been trying to get rid of 2 UK made JCM Lead 900 4-12 for a few yrs. Priced $500 for the pair or $300 each.
    Theyre in almost new shape.
    i cant give them away

SA wouldn't even take em on a trade in. a local mom and pop offered me $150 for the pr. on consignment.

i'll just sit on them no rush.

10. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

That’s the downside to them.. they’re incredibly tough to get rid of

11. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

I have a full stack +.
    The + is a 2x12.
    I never use it as a full stack . I keep one cab down stairs unless I'm in a band then it stays in the band room and one cab upstairs.
    The 2x12 is for working on amps so I have a decent reference .
    Say what you will but nothing sounds like a 4x12 . except maybe 2-4x12's

Darth Weller and jdel77 like this.
  12. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

I never had a problem selling them. Of corse mine have always been in good shape.You see alot of people wanting $400 or $500 for cabs with holes in the grill cloth and big rips in the tolex

13. jdel77

jdel77 Member

A full stack of what?

InkStained and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  14. Darth Weller

Darth Weller Member

THIS! I remember the first time I saw Overkill, Bobby G had 2 full stacks, one on his side, one on D.D.'s side. At one point the P.A. cut out and you could hear the band, sans the singer just fine from where I stood, both stacks on. But many bands with 1 zxe man seemd to have a 4 x 12 per side of stage in the day.

Ever since I've had a thing for splitting my sound field, even if in the day it was putting a 1 x 12 combo in one spot and my 4 x 12 cab in another. Now that I too have submitted to the 2 x 12 being the new standard, I'm running that abnd my 1 x 12 combo at the same time with a drummer and I use 2 combos chained when playing at home. So full stacks may be rare, 1/2 stacks a good bit less common ( Last few times I've been out though, I've seen guys still using them in clubs) so I can see down the road wheeling a dolly in a show with a 2 x 12, 1 x 12, 1 x 15, 2 x 10 to spread about the stage. " Hey, this is what makes my sound, I brought 3 mics, here's this ( hand him $20-$30) the 2 x 12 is dominant, the 1 x 15 and 2 x 10 start both at about half what the 2 x 12 's slider is at and the 1 x 12 is a wet box, treat it like a rythem guitarist. Thank you."

Just like great LPs have the guitar in several channels, spread across the field. One day I plan on buying an old church to use as a private club/martial arts school/home and I plan on having guitar and bass cabs spread out the same. Love being wrapped up in sound.

el_bastardo likes this.
  15. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Mine aren’t stacked up, but I have them. Four at my house, two at another location where we practice. Nothing else sounds as good.

DiPa, ColonelForbin and Darth Weller like this.
  16. Darth Weller

Darth Weller Member

So if you roll in a 4 x 12, most of them having the same footprint as a 2 x 12, and you don't jack your amp volume above the Soundman's abilities ( I guess soundmen are expected to know even less of their craft, versus when a good one in the day could level out a jet engine's noise and a fart to be the same volume.) they'll not want you back because you rolled in a scary 4 x 12?

They notice that, any national and international acts still use 4 x 12s?

guitarbilly74 likes this.
  17. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

I have a 15W 1x12 combo. I’m able to get the volume up to about 3 or 4 at the places around here. At those volumes, I’m already a problem. If you roll in there with a 4x12, you’re going to get asked to turn down before you even turn the thing on.

At a gig on Saturday, the sound girl asked our drummer if he could hit softer than the opening band’s drummer, before we even got on stage.

I was half joking about not being asked back. But it really is a constant volume war at every gig. If you have more than 5W, you’re overpowered.

I stopped bringing my AC-30 to gigs when I walked in one night and the sound guy said, “I’ve dealt with those before, you’re going to need to keep that as low as possible”. They judge you before you even plug in.

18. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

You don't wanna know!

19. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

based on the answers so far and the lack of pictures, not may out there have full stacks let alone gig with them. Not unexpected...

Darth Weller likes this.
  20. Pongo

Pongo Member

I've got a 4x12" that a friend built for me. Mix of H-75 and M-65 Creambacks, rear-loaded, slight tilt. Has a hinge back, if I ever wanna go for a more open sound (which I've done for like all of five minutes, but it's still a nice option). Its dimensions are somewhere between his favorite Soldano and favorite Marshall cab -- I'll have to ask which ones.

While it's a complete PITA to move, it sounds better than any cab I've ever had. And all my amps have good MVs, so even at nighty-night volume, it still sounds great and lush (though obviously cranked is better).
    [​IMG]

Ages ago, I swapped a 5150 + 4x12 for a Mesa Mk IV + horizontal 2x12; the MkIV sounded so much better and was so much easier to cart around, I convinced myself that 4x12s were pointless relics.

Nah.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Darth Weller likes this.