Who here, used the TGP emporiums to sell or purchase guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by p6x, May 5, 2020.

1. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I have bought, sold and traded guitars, amps and pedals in the Emporium with only two very minor issues when I was the buyer. I have also done three excellent trades that went without a hitch. I stopped selling online a couple of years ago due to PayPal’s very biased dispute resolution policies that almost always favor the buyer, and their 6 month return policy. However, I have bought two Gibson Historic Les Paul’s in the Emporium using PayPal in the past year and I am very happy with both instruments. My most recent purchase was a terrific R4 a few weeks ago that completely exceeded my expectations.

I would not do a bank transfer for any online purchase. And as I mentioned above I don’t care for PayPal as a seller due to some of their policies As an alternative I have used www.escrow.com for a couple of guitar and amps sales, which I highly recommend. Both the buyer and seller are fully protected. Their fee is very reasonable, doing transactions through them is very secure, and I’ve been very happy with their customer service.

2. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

One of my favourite guitars came from a TGP member, using bank transfer and Canada Post.

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

No way would I do a bank transfer even if I was in the same country.

4. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I don't think anyone is gonna bank transfer a stranger money. That would not be smart. Paypal offers some protections and you would be wise to use that instead.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't do that.

5. boo radley

boo radley Member

Everyone hates Paypal....Until they're a buyer. :)

Bought and sold on eBay, Reverb, TGP and Craigslist. Truthfully, the only two guitars that didn't arrive as represented in the ad were bought (well, one was traded) here. I think that's simply coincidence; people are people regardless of marketplace.

If you insist on bank transfers, it doesn't matter what platform you use to sell, because you won't.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I do plenty of buying and a bit of seling on TGP. Never any issues. However, I only use PayPal for buying and selling, anything else is for @ssholes :)

7. outdoorpja

outdoorpja Supporting Member

Yup, plenty of use on my end and no issues. and paypal is a necessary evil for ease and protection.

8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Bought and sold probably 50-60 guitars here. Never had a problem.

9. Golem

Golem Silver Supporting Member

I use it. I've bought guitars from here and traded with cash exchanged. I don't think I've ever fully sold a guitar here but I do include reverb links so who knows.

10. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

It is The Way.

Embrace it and let other platforms whiff the vapor of your departure.

PickPlucker likes this.
  11. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

Bought Sold and traded lots of guitars on here. People on here are easily checked plus it's up to you to do some checking.
    What your asking a buyer to do is not going to happen unless they already know you.
    Buying here is safer than eBay or reverb in my opinion.
    Nothing is 100 percent .
    Sorry but unless I knew you to many demands.
    Good luck

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Most of my current gear has come from TGP members and the Emporiums. Never had an issue. I always use Paypal as well, and never the gift option.

13. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Silver Supporting Member

I have had good luck

14. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Have had lots of good transactions here and will be using it again more going forward.

15. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

The cautionary tale here is anyone, long term member, good reputation, A+++++ feedback — ANYONE who won’t use PayPal is suspect.

I don’t like PP much either, but when the guy said “bank transfer only” he went from “long time good guy” to “someone I don’t really trust.”

I don’t buy pedals from people I don’t really trust, as I said above. I sure don’t drop thousands on expensive guitars for them.

FlyingVBlues likes this.
  16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've used TGP emporium for quite a number of deals up to USD 3K-4K per deal. I usually look at post counts. If someone is willing to rake up 500-600 post counts or more just to cheat people - there are easier ways to do it.

If they write in their signature who they've dealt (assuming post count is below 500), I'll then contact 1-2 of those they've dealt with to get objective review of the person and the transaction.

Never had any bad experience here. Use paypal all the time.

It seems those who screw TGPers are certain famous boutique amp builders, luthiers and pedal makers. I think there are more cases like these than all the TGP transactions combined. Sad.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  17. spi

spi Member

I haven't yet.

What's the etiquette for payment on Paypal? Do people expect to use friends&family for payment? Or do you use regular Paypal payment for the protection. If the latter, does the seller pay the paypal fees, or expect the buyer to add the fees if they want the protection?

18. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Typical in my experience is regular PP, seller pays fees and prices accordingly. If a seller insists upon F&F, I won’t deal. I have successfully offered asking price with regular PP instead of F&F on items I really wanted. I’ve also had that offer turned down and told the seller “good luck with the sale.”

If someone insists on F&F they are suspect. It violates PP rules and there is literally no good reason to do it when you can work the fee into your bottom line.

19. MCSS1970

MCSS1970 Silver Supporting Member

This is from the Emporium rules:

11. PayPal Gift is not an approved form of payment due to its lack of protection for buyers. Ads may not ask for PayPal Gift nor may sellers request buyers pay via PayPal Gift.

FlyingVBlues, spi and David Garner like this.
  20. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

My experience as well...