Who here...

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
WHY would you do that, it sounds like a good way to destroy a guitar.
It's a thing ...

Yeah, I've read about the concept but don't feel that my bolt-ons need it, nor could I bring myself to try what seems like a potentially perilous tweak anyway.

Tony Done

I've done it once, recently, after reading about it in this forum. I think the idea is that they should only be backed off a little, just enough to allow the neck to settle well back into the pocket under string tension. It also allows the opportunity the get the strings into good alignment with the neck.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
It is? I have never heard of that, but hey there are all kinds of things they say to do. I saw a guy on the internet tell people to bias their amps by putting tubes in and turning the bias up until they redplate, then back off(something you should NEVER do as it wont just destroy your tubes but possibly your amp as well.)
Yeah, as mentioned above, there was a recent thread about it. Several youtubes were cited IIRC, and a few TGP luthiers chimed in and were not as dismissive as I expected, so there's potentially some validity when performed properly.

Mr Fingers

No. That's not how you get strings aligned. To align strings, take off all string tension, loosen the bolts, and then restire just enough tension to make the strinbgs run straight; wiggle to get things where you want, and then tighten the bolts before tuning up. Loosening the neck bolts under string tension is a transparently ridiculous idea. Must be a misunderstanding.

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve done it. However, I didn’t notice that it made any difference.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I don't actually believe that their is, it is my opinion, but it is based in facts. Fact, strings exert ALOT of pressure, fact, loosening the screws on the neck under tension not only would put pressure in the wrong places on the neck and screws, fact, the friction fit between the neck and body is paramount to keeping the neck fixed in place properly, and fact, doing so could break screws, strip screw holes, and break the bottom of the neck. There to me seems no reason to do such a thing, and every reason to properly remove the neck if necessary....and I have never met anyone that thinks you should take a neck off of a guitar by loosening the screws with the strings in place.....too many reasons not to , not enough reason to in my book(people say all sorts of crazy things, and on the internet, too many gullible people willing to parrot garbage. if it sounds dangerous and stupid it probably is). I am not calling you stupid, but you asked the question and I gave you my honest opinion as a guitar player, former woodworker, and general music enthusiast.(the screws cause a friction between the neck and body of the guitar and this is a very strong force that is necessary.....I would bet they are saying that it would snug the neck to the body, a proper fit will do all you need to seat the neck where it should be, and most strings exert enough pressure under tension to hold the neck in place properly). (if there is a gap or the neck is not seated properly then it more than likely will seat itself without having to loosen anything anyway).. Like I said, people believe what they want, and you will too, you obviously find it interesting or you would not be defending it.
WTF are you going off about?? I asked you no question, was only trying to be helpful by informing you of the previous discussion without passing judgement either way, and you're ranting away on something without first doing even the most cursory review of the subject.

Sheesh ...sorry I tried to help! :facepalm

Last edited:

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
I have done it with two guitars. Seems to have worked well. Again, just a very slight loosening. Seems to have helped sustain.

specialidiot

most likely to seceede
Platinum Supporting Member
I just did a few days ago, and I often do the first time I fit a neck to the body. I brought it to tune and noticed one side off a bit. I loosed the screws just a couple of turns and I could feel the movement, and it pulled right in line.

No bolts broke, no necks snapped, nobody's day was ruined. Actually now that I think of it the neighbor lady mentioned that I had a little skip in my step that day.

Trending Topics