Who, in your family, inspired you to play?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by frickengruvin, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Porrig

Porrig Member

My Mum with her love of Elvis and Buddy. My Dad because he actually built the first guitar I ever played. I owe them, bigtime.

2. Pitar

Pitar Member

This, exactly.

3. StratGuy22

StratGuy22 Senior Member

My dad who just turned 77 worked his ass off at 16 and bought a piano. Self taught I grew up listening to him play and sing. He also plays accordion at family reunions there were always a couple accordions, and a violin around.

I took piano lessons from age 6 until I was 18. At 14 I traded my first keyboard for a guitar. But my love for music came from him.

<3

4. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

Both my Mom and Dad. Mom insisted on 2 years of piano lessons to learn how to read music and understand theory. Dad had a mid 30's plywood archtop that he had repaired several times, and the first song he taught me and my twin brother with cowboy chords was "Never Mind the Bumblebee." In 7th grade a classmate showed me barre chords and the rest is history.
    The neck has been broken twice, and a lot of the finish is gone, but it hangs proudly on my studio wall to remind me where I came from. I played it at his funeral.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My dad played guitar and taught me and I took piano lessons. Then I had a cousin who was a pro and he really got me going. But, first it was my dad.

6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I grew up watching my dad play guitar on church. I begged him for a guitar but he never bought me one because he assumed I would play it once and never play again. When I was 17 I bought one for myself and haven't stopped playing.

He has told me a few times that he wishes he could go back and buy me that guitar when I kept askedng him.

7. wilerty

wilerty Member

My mother forced me to play piano for four years starting at age 8. I hated it. Ibought my own guitar at age 14.

8. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

9. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I had some older 2nd cousins who played but I didn't know it until I was grown. I'm the first in my family to play. I listened to lots of "records" when I was a kid.

10. BKL71

BKL71 Member

My mom took guitar lessons when I was around 2 or 3 years old. She never really learned to play, but I was always fascinated with her guitar, which was a Kay acoustic that was essentially a Gibson Hummingbird copy. I plunked around on that after until my parents bought me my first electric guitar for Christmas when I was 11. I was home for Labor Day last year and my mom had been cleaning out one of the closets and found her old Kay acoustic. She gave it to me, I put some new strings on it and cleaned it up a bit, and it actually sounds pretty good. I won't get rid of that guitar for anything.

11. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

My Mom's side of the family...ALL of them players and some on national tours.
    8 kids, all players most of their kids were players.
    Having come from a Pentecostal background, I suppose that helped.
    They were all pretty serious about their bluegrass and gospel.
    We were also closely attached to a local family that had national success and played with ALL the gospel/bluegrass greats.(Still tight with them)
    Monroe/.Flatts/Scruggs/Scaggs/Stewart/Jimmy O.....List goes on and on. (Really....They knew and worked with all of them)
    When you have any or all of the above spend the night at your house multiple times.....You are known and accepted as one of the greats. All happened locally and we didn't think much about it.
    Until recent years...we now know they are almost as legendary as those mentioned.
    I ran into Bill Monroe years ago and asked about "them" to let him know where I was from and were friends.....he talked as if they were family. They also played in his band for years.
    My family worked with Stonewall Jackson and was tight with Loretta Lynn. My Uncle's band/ buddies went with her on tour and played in her band for YEARS. She wanted the whole band (60's)...All went except my Mother's brother...He decided family was more important.
    She was known for using all Ohio players from this area as they were badass players. Some I know are still alive.

12. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

The Beatles.

You figure there's got to be a family connection somehow if you go back far enough.

13. DavidG

DavidG Member

My older brother(59). That was 43 yrs ago. We just had a 3 hr jam this evening that I had a blast at. Good times.

14. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

My father was from Spain and was a big Flamenco music fan. He met and became friends with this guy when we lived in California in the early 60's. Mario was touring the club circuit then. Mario settled in NYC in the late 60's and we lived nearby in CT. He used to come to the house a lot and we would go to his apartment in the city. As a young boy I was fortunate to find myself sitting at the feet of one of the masters of Flamenco guitar as he played in our living room or his. Although I don't play Flamenco or classical guitar I still love listening to it.

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Nobody in my family inspired me to play. I just wanted to play after listening to Peter Frampton, The Stones and Led Zeppelin. I found an old guitar in my grandfather's garage and away I went.

16. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

The day I brought my guitar home was a BAD day in my house. Mom & Dad were not happy at all. Probably was the motivation I needed.

Things have changed and now they claim to have always been supportive. I remember it differently.

17. blaster

blaster Member

My Dad. He taught me how to play in the mid 60's. I will never forget my dad playing his 54 Les Paul Custom through his Ampeg Reverberocket at night with a slight tremolo and reverb...He had a great sound that I love to this day. My Dad passed away in 93, but I will never forget his gift of music to me.

18. Celery Man

Celery Man Member

I think my mom read some study at some point about musical kids doing better in school. I have two older sisters, we all started on the piano when we went into kindergarten at 5/6. I was into it at that point, I wanted to be a big kid like my sisters, playing the piano, but I would've started taking piano lessons at 5 regardless if I was into it or not. But, like I said, I was into it, it took, and music was my "thing" growing up. I skipped trumpet and started out with brass on the French Horn in 5th grade, then after expressing interest in playing guitar, celebrated Christmas in '96 (when I was 11) with a new Martin DM, and with an AS Standard Stratocaster the following year. Still have and love both of those guitars. I love my dad for other reasons but also for seeing how serious I was about wanting to play the guitar, and setting me up with quality instruments.

19. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

My mother's piano playing was definitely an early influence on me. Not to mention all the early 60's folk records she and my dad played. But it all started when I found mom's cheap, Asian, totally unplayable acoustic guitar caked with dust in the back of a closet.

But my musical genes somehow came down to me through my great-aunt Ruth. She was a delightful lady and sort of famous back in the day for her ability to sit down at the piano at parties and fake/play by ear whatever songs people asked her to play. Thanks to her, I guess, I was able to pull off that totally impromptu version of "Bobby McGee" on request at a bar gig last night. So thanks for that, Aunt Ruth.

20. frickengruvin

frickengruvin Silver Supporting Member

Great stories...all of them! How about adding a picture of the family member in their music inspiring pose!