Who influenced Evh's stage presence?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Steve1216, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Steve1216

Steve1216 Supporting Member

I've always thought Eddie Van Halen was a perfect storm. His totally unique take on lead playing goes without saying. His great rhythm playing, too. But he was also an amazing riff-writer. And music writer, in general. there were plenty of shreddy peers. But they were all lacking one or more of these components, which put him above the pack.
    But there was another thing about Eddie that was much more intangible. Charisma. I don't think I've ever seen anyone that made me believe in the undefinable 'it' factor of being a star that some people are just born with. The dude looked *so* cool. From his over the top energy, to his confident strut and the way he moved while playing, to the paint scheme of his guitars and attire, and just the general smiling vibe he gave off that emanated pure joy from his playing. Whenever I was a kid and there were a million shredder guitar players, none made me want to be them as much as Eddie. But it was just impossible to be that cool.
    So my question is, where did he get all those evh stage moves and stuff? Dlr was so obviously influenced by Jim dandy. And evh had influences on guitar. So what about his stage stuff? Has he ever mentioned? It sure wasn't Eric Clapton.

dennis1077, BADHAK, monty and 3 others like this.
  2. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I'm just in awe he was able to jump around and show so much energy and still play while drunk. I'm not dogging on him at all as I've loved him from the beginning, but I can't even play buzzed sitting on my couch and he is covering a 500 sq.ft. stage and not missing a lick (in the old days anyway).

goodertone, BADHAK, massacre and 3 others like this.
  3. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I see a little Chuck Berry and Angus in there. But then again nearly any rock guitarist with some degree of showmanship has gotten something from Chuck Berry whether they know it or not.

fretless, sanrico, massacre and 3 others like this.
  4. drewl

drewl Member

Smiling from watching all the ladies in the audience?

He didn't fall into the cheesy heavy metal standard moves, maybe taking the smiling cue from Hendrix?
    Townshend would say that even when smashing or humping guitars, Jimi smiling made it less threatening or less evil.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I always thought his on stage act was an amalgamation of Hendrix's R&B circuit honed showmanship and early punk's energy.

muzishun and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  6. mango

mango Member

Not a lot of adrenalin to be found on a couch....well ok sometimes .

A-Bone and NortheastHick like this.
  7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I aint seen nobody do this before him
    [​IMG]

Tony, monkmiles, monty and 3 others like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Well, Eddie is a bit more graceful at it...

Bullhonky Deluxe likes this.
  9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Don't you imagine all the cocaine helped?

10. mango

mango Member

^ Peruvian adrenalin

Tonekat, Finewhine, Mr Boggie and 6 others like this.
  11. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

love EVH's playing etc, saw him in '86....sadly if you read a lot of the old interviews and know his history, i think his use of alcohol sort of lowered his inhibitions on stage....off stage, from stuff i've seen he looks like an introvert, and seems very uncomfortable in interviews....in that regards he is similar to Hendrix....and of course if you sort of read into the band troubles VH had w/ DLR in the 84/85 years when DLR left....to me it's sort of sad they split, DLR is the classic extrovert, the band should have just let him do his thing and get the band the publicity he desired and the band needed....oh well....i think EVH also had that youthful energy in his performance (regardless of substance), and in early interviews he always referred to himself as a "young punk"...in a lot of ways, i think the band sort of was fueled by the energy of punk rock also...but they channeled it in their Southern CA ways....

12. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Weed whites and wine, or rather Schlitz

13. somecafone

somecafone Member

According to "Van Halen Rising" by Greg Renoff, Ed used to play pretty much stick-still.
    He and Alex both wore nothing but jeans and flannel shirts or t-shirts.

His evolution into a smiling, flying, blitzkrieg of energy and charisma was a result of (in no particular order) alcohol, coke, and Dave.

[​IMG]

BADHAK, HoboMan, Jester and 1 other person like this.
  14. thecornman

thecornman Member

My understanding is the alcohol was where his stage presence came from.

15. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

16. rwe333

rwe333 Member

See some Grand Funk era Mark Farner in there...

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Eddie liked a buzz and playing in front of thousands of people certainly is a buzz .... so the alcohol probably magnified the natural buzz. He was in his element and just doing his thing. He's a natural with the guitar and with showing off his chops... that's where the smiles and energy comes from.

BADHAK, JiveTurkey and muzishun like this.
  18. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

19. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

My understanding was that Dave got them moving and established 'mooves'.

You still need a beyond competent photographer to capture it or 'set it up/staged' (like the few in this thread, even that famous VHII in the studio photos were staged, setup by DLR/Zlozwer) to be captured, coach you etc... In walks Neil Zlozower, who has a certain 'style' all of his own and knack for getting those RnR shots that seem mythic. He toured with VH thru 1980 and was considered a 'member', so you can imagine him giving advice..."Ed next time, do this, it comes out better on the camera". He continued taking many of their iconic shots afterwards as well as many others we all know and love.

And for every great shot there were a thousand that went to the trash, and back then a band had control of that kind of thing, so you'd only seen the 'cool' ones to begin with, imagine that, controlling your image.

I've seen some amatuer shots of the same stances (they had them, choreographed sometimes), and they just look, well, unspectacular.

And some people are just more photogenic than others....The Beatles are hella-photogenic, almost never a capture were they look goofy with eyes closed, weird face crap...and that's alot of pix by a lot of different people.

http://www.vhnd.com/2011/08/22/meet-van-halen-photographer-neil-zlozower/

http://atlasicons.photoshelter.com/...N+EVH+&I_USER_ID=U0000.dfmUltV1w0&_ACT=search

http://zloz.com/rock-and-roll-prints/pages/van_halen.htm

http://zloz.com/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    B Money, fishleehooker and gdomeier like this.
  20. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member