1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Who inspired you to pickup the guitar?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sean French, May 18, 2011.

1. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

For me it was Ace.:dude
    Year was 1978.I was 12 years old.

[​IMG]

2. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

3. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

Billie Joe Armstrong
    [​IMG]

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

First Lightnin', then Jimi!

5. foureyes

foureyes Member

6. mannish

mannish Member

Uncle, older brother & older brothers records. I remember hearing Lightnin' and Freddie King records.....Muddy Waters is the reason I continued to play

7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Dad & Slash

Later I found out about Jimmy Page who inspired me to keep it going..

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I don't think it was any one person, but the Kingston Trio is a possibility. But I think it was music in general. I'd like to say the Beatles or the Kinks, but I already had a guitar before they were around. (Yes I'm old, be turning 60 Monday.) They did inspire me to play it more though.

9. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

My uncle who played Chet Atkins style stuff in a gospel band followed by Ace Frehley.
    Irony?

10. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

Clapton... I heard "Disraeli Gears" on WBZ on the night it was released.
    [​IMG]

11. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

My wife got a Taylor acoustic from my mom. However, wife decided she didn't want to learn guitar anymore, so it sat collecting dust. I couldn't stand to see a fine instrument sit like that, so I started teaching myself via books. One group class and two private instructors later, I'm still going! Moved on to electrics though. :aok

12. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

13. AlChuck

AlChuck Member

My path is pretty weird... my first influence at about 12 was - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass. I had a friend who played trumpet in school and I figured, hey, maybe I should get a guitar, that would be easy to learn! Then we could have a band like the Tijuana Brass. (I had no idea at the time but the guitar player in that band was John Pisano, a terrific jazz player.)

But it wasn't easy to learn, so I quit, and didn't touch it again until I was about 16, when I started to get into the Beatles. I had a next-door neighbor that had been playing since he was in elementary school and he turned me on to Goodbye by Cream. By the time I heard the break at the end of "Sittin' On Top Of the World," I was hooked. Started to learn to play for real and kept on going...

14. Bankston

Bankston Member

A lot of guys in my neighborhood played guitar. One of them moved to Nashville as part of Tracy Byrd's band and is now in Mark Chesnutt's band. He's an absolute monster player. So part of the motivation was social acceptance.

But the main inspirations were the Rev. Willie G. and Brad Gillis/Jeff Watson.

15. Keasley

Keasley Member

1977 (78?) 10 or 11 years old, a friend and I cut out coupons from the newspaper (remember them?) for these super-cheap copies of 'Love You Live' by the Rolling Stones from a local record chain (remember them?). I don't even think I knew who the Rolling Stones were, except maybe Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash and I'd probably heard the name 'Mick Jagger'. But my friend's big brother was into the Stones, so we were going to be cool and each buy our own Rolling Stones record.

Live version of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' on side 4 I believe. Live in Paris France. The Ron Wood guitar solo completely blew me away. I used to put it on over and over again and (literally) jump around with a tennis racket until my mom bought me an SG copy and Kalamazoo practice amp from the pawn shop.

The Kalamazoo amp had to be chucked after it started delivering an electric shock every time I plugged in my guitar. The SG copy got smashed by a friend in a battle of the bands contest around grade 10 :bitch
    In retrospect, the Ron Wood solo was utterly unspectacular and I wouldn't even put him in my top 100 today. But that **** slayed me then.

16. janosfia

janosfia Member

My dad always had guitars laying around the house from his gigging band days. I used to fool around with them but never got serious about them.

Then I discovered David Gilmour and everything went from there.

My dad eventually gave me his 1976 Guild 12-string, and two circa 1960s/1970s amps. A Gretsch Nashville and a Gibson LP-12.

17. Nick67

Nick67 Member

women...called them girls when i was 11.

18. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Original inspiration was Michael Allsup.

[​IMG]

Very quickly overruled by one James Patrick Page.

[​IMG]

19. Thundrstruckk

Thundrstruckk Member

Billie Joe Armstrong

[​IMG]

and

Angus Young

[​IMG]

Weird combination, I know.

20. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

[​IMG]

As shamed as I am to say it, I heard Texas Flood on Guitar Hero I. I was like hmmm, that is awesome! Then I watched 'live at el mocambo' and it was game over.