Who invented pinch harmonics?

rosscoep

I have read a number of threads lately wherein a claim is made that one famous player or another "invented" pinch harmonics. Ridiculous is what I say. Like questioning who invented the guitar strap. My pinching came totally naturally as I began playing. I wasn't attempting to emulate anyone. It happened, I thought it sounded cool. I did it again. I suspect many innovations in mechanics/technique occurred in the same way.

Tonefish

Wiki says it was Roy Buchanan. I just starting doing it at some point too. No one had shown me or told me about it. Hmmmm...I think physics invented it....we just had to find it. Well I just learned that this is what "pinch harmonics" is. I'm surprised it wasn't "invented" or "claimed" much sooner than Roy.

I was gonna say it was me. Since I do them and no one ever showed me how, that means I must've invented them, right? So I'd appreciate the credit when you guys use them. Not like I'm asking for royalties or anything. Just the props I'm entitled to.

People have been using their fingers and pulling overtones out of strings
since ancient times.

At least since Nils Lofgren.

Fat Fingers on that New Spector ARC 6 USA Guitar

nils11-15-072web_1.jpg

Taken backstage last NOV 15th he was playin in someguy from Jerseys Band

diego

I strongly believe that it was Barney Rubble, but then there arguments that Fred Flintstone was the first as well. There are even proponents for Dino.

JonR

No it was Most High Supreme Commander Generisimo Augusto Pinochet it that he has so many accomplishment his guitar playing sometimes gets overlooked
Yeah, I think he got the idea after stringing up some opponents with piano wire...
(no pain, no gain...)
:D

kimock

Unless you think Al Gore is God, that's poly-ticks, and we don't talk about poly-ticks or real-itchin' here: we're internet guitar players, we cain't haindle the truth.

I'm just gonna have to assume for your sake that that was a typo, and you meant Ali-G, in which case I think you're probably write.

watch yer step.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom