• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who invented the pedalboard?

peter_heijnen

This week a friend gave me the official Rush biography so that's what im reading at the moment. I really enjoy the stories from the very beginning and being a fan for 40 years next year i can't think of anybody before Alex Lifeson using a pedalboard. However, there must have been players before him organising their pedals on a board.

Who can come up with the earliest known pedalboard in recorded history?

Last edited:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Hendrix at Stockholm , ‘68 had a wah and a fuzz... by Woodstock he had fuzz , wah, univibe, at band of gypsies he was using Octavia live also ( not sure the earliest he used it live, it was on records of course)
Page live with LZ had wah and tonebender.
Beck with yardbirds had fuzz, but not sure he used a wah live.

Those are the earliest uses of a number of effects live that I can think of, I’m not sure who in the 70s mounted it on a board...

StompBoxBlues

Well...NOT Hendrix, that's for sure.

It just struck me, it would (seem to me) been so out of character for Jimi, if pedalboards had been around, to show up with some neat, clean pedalboard. Now someone probably is going to dig up a photo with him with one, but I still don't think so.

Also, back in the day there were not that many pedals. Would have been silly with a pedalboard in the 60's, early 70's. I would bet it began being used more widely in the 80's some time.

peter_heijnen

I would bet it began being used more widely in the 80's some time.
The question isn't about when boards were being used widely, it's about who had the idea first. And also boards were meant to be practical instead of neat. ;)
If you wanted a board you had to make clamps and stuff to fasten pedals on a wooden shelf, unless you had acces to real tools and good materials. But we're talking early 70's or even late 60's. I can imagine the first board being thought of by a roady/guitartech being fed up with arranging several pedals night after night.

Last edited:

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, definitely not Jimi... using several effects on the floor does not constitute a "pedalboard"

I'm thinking maybe Brian May? Steve Home might be a possibility....

LeicaBossNJ

Oh yeah local musicians in the 60s used to take Polaroid photographs of their pedal boards and post them on the bulletin board at the local hang out.

Another musicians with pin notes to the pictures like "that wiring is sloppy" or "what kind of diode is in that fuzz face?" or "how are you powering your board?"

Good times.

Trending Topics