who is 100% satisfied with theyre rig?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TimSt.L, Feb 20, 2012.

1. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I've been playing for close to 20 years and I see no end in sight for guitar related purchases. So I was wondering if there are actually people in the world who are absolutely 100% content with they're guitars,amps, pedals etc.
    I just randomly mentioned to my fiance a paint scheme I was thinking about for my ESP eclipse and she kinda snapped a bit, "it just never ends does it?" " you will never be happy no matter what you buy, there will always be something else", then she said, "yakyakyakblahblah" (something like that).
    But it finally got me to understand that I don't believe I ever WILL be 100% content.
    It's way too early here to get philosophical. But I just wanted some other people's thoughts.

2. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

I may not be 100% there but i'm about 98% there...I'm the happiest i have ever been with my tone and see no reason to change anything..

There is a couple things i want such as a Callaham tremolo installed on one of my strats ..Then replacing the tuners on another strat with Sprezel Trim loks..I would also like a top shelf hollow body such as a Gretsch,Yamaha,Heritage or Gibson..These are not needs though...

I have found that since i have come up with the system i'm using every time i try something new it quickly gets sold ..So i quit trying new gear after several purchases and have now just decided to stand pat with what i have....

3. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Im finally happy with my main guitar, and my amplifier. I SHOULD be happy with my backup guitars because they all sound and play like a dream. But I still find myself on the lookout. And it's too early to tell about my pedalboard. I JUST changed over from multi fx processors to single pedals.
    I am very happy I at least have my three main components in the bag. Great guitar,great amp,great cab. The rest is just details I guess.

4. xroads

xroads Member

Guitars/amps are tools to make music. Over time, I develop interest in another type of music or styles. This is when I think about buying something else.

For my longtime musical style (rock) I have pretty much found the instruments I want.

5. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

This seems to be a constant topic, I am pretty happy at the moment but all of that may change with a sudden gust of GAS. I cannot fool myself into believing that hunt will ever entirely dwindle but I have been steady with guitars for a while and have been running the same amp for a couple years, the rest, well, that's been a little more transient in nature but tonally fairly the same for a while.

As they say, the only constant is change....

6. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied with my rig because I haven't spent enough quality time with every piece of gear available to be able to make such confident qualifications. Don't get me wrong, I really like my gear a lot. I just am conscious of what is out there. I guess I should thank TGP for that lack of ignorance! ;)

7. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Me. I have not bought a piece of gear in over two years. I have an Axe FX Ultra, a PRS Singlecut, and a couple of nice strat types. As far as amps and pedals, I can't imagine why I would ever buy another tube amp or another pedal. I love them, but I have a nice collection that's gathering dust since I picked up the Ultra. It has been an absolute GAS-ender.

Re guitars, in a perfect world it would be nice to have a tele and a 335, but that would just be gravy and I wouldn't want to carry more guitars to gigs anyway. I suppose the best measure of being satisfied is that I could easily sell some unused gear and raise the money for a new guitar or amp, but I haven't done so.

8. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

Me personaly, I'm allways on the lookout for the next pc. of gear to buy then sell for a loss. I always envied the guys who have played the same guitar/amp setup for yrs, like the old blues guys.

If you can find the IT guitar and amp, and have a backup for each and some decent pedals that should be it.

9. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I have way more gear than I need, and I no longer focus on searching for my tone. I have a little one and a beautiful wife that are more important to me than GASing for stuff I'll likely use sparingly. These days I really appreciate the qualities of the guitar/amp/effects I may be using rather than trying to find some elusive tone.

10. Sean French

Sean French Member

I am.
    After 30 years I'm back to basics and could not be more happy.
    Amps: Marshall JMP 2204 EL-34 and a Fender SF Vibrolux Reverb that was tweaked by Alan Philips.

Guitars: McCarty, ES-339, LP Tribute(P90's) and Tele.

A few od and other pedals to keep things interesting.

Simple yet, I get everything I need or want.

11. weathertite

weathertite Member

I don't think I could say I'm a 100% satisfied, but I think I have a problem with shiny things. So many options available, but I can't afford to try them all, thus I went with an Ultra and FRFR. Now there is the new model II. Do I need it? Probably not. Do I want it? Yes. Why? Shiny things......
    It's an addiction....
    My wife calls it passion....
    I say addiction....

12. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

I think this is the key for tone satisfaction or at least for me...When i had tons of pedals.amps and guitars and was constantly swapping this pedal or that amp and guitar in and out of my line up..It seemed like i was always searching for my tone..Instead of working for it....

I have since cut down severely on my gear and used the money to make each guitar amp and pedal specifically voiced..As well as each guitar customized for exactly what i want both tone and playability wise..

What i have found is since going to a smaller gear line up i spend my time working with what i have to get the exact tone i was searching for..

For my tone desires the old saying less is more has really done wonders for me....

13. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I am 100% happy with my main guitar, amp, and pedals. :aok

14. goodwater

goodwater Member

though I always keep chasing shadows and am on the lookout for something, I'm extremely satisfied with my rig and honestly (for me) don't think that there's anything that I could do to improve it (for me)

country rig: Nocaster into 66 Princeton
    rock rig: LP into Marshall 1987x with a Budda Wah and a Klon clone

Ta Da!

15. RCM78

RCM78 Member

At the moment I am. But I havent had the chance to play through a PT100 yet...

16. Faded

Faded Member

I am happy with my live rig, a Mark V and a Historic '55 Les Paul, because its portable and sounds incredible. I keep buying and collecting guitars/amps because I'm always looking for new sounds in the studio and to inspire my songwriting.

17. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I have other guitars and am always looking for stuff because I love vintage instruments / equipment but I am 100% satisfied with this setup:

'66 ES-330 or Custom Shop Tele into DAM 1966 or Pigdog Electric Eye, Lumpys Jelly Roll, Boss TU2, Boss DM2 (3005 version) into Deluxe Reverb or Allen Encore.

I really can get whatever sounds are in my head with that. Anything else I own or desire to own is fluff for the most part.

18. pigman

pigman Member

I'm 100% satisfied that I've achieved a balance between power and portability, money and mojo, time and tone. The reason I know is that I've sold nearly every piece of gear I've bought over the last 5 years. I've settled into a few absolutes: curly cables, minimal effects (if any), and solid state amplification. To me, a pure tone is where the joy of guitar playing lies, but since wood and wire change with the weather, it's important to limit the number of variables.

19. s2y

s2y Member

Completely satisfied. Doesn't mean I don't want more. ;)

20. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Nothing in life is perfect.