who is building outside the box?

JRuss1525

Hey! First time posting on here. I have played my fair share of boutique strats and teles (suhr/Anderson/Mel/Nash etc) and currently have an awesome Mel as my mail guitar. While these guitars are stellar, they tend to be mildly tweaked reincarnations of the good ol classics. As I'm gassing for a new build, new or used, I was wondering who is really thinking outside the box these days? Would love a single coil strat or tele build, but am looking for something a little more on the wild side!
Let me know what you guys think
Jake

jgreen8240

Have you looked at Malinoski Guitars. He makes some very interesting variations. His Rodeo for instance. Great guy too.

MalinoskiRodeo169a.jpg

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
Malinoski came to mind first. I believe he directs the build, it's a custom guitar, and you may get some input, but he's the design/build commander. A lot of his stuff looks great, and the sound clips are terrific, you might want to ask how he works with customers. No judgment about the business model, just a note that this is how I think he works. Outside of that, Agape/Rich Chaffins loves to work off different ideas. I believe Paul Eliasson does some different things. And Steve Benford has tiers of models all the way from his semi-custom models to building a completely custom shape.

shawnerie

My Mel is also my main guitar - an awesome axe btw! I just took the plunge for a Forshage Neo which I am hoping will be stellar as well! It's going to be a full hollowbody. Maybe you could look at a hollowbody?

White Buffalo

wow, i just made a pretty much identical thread! will be keeping my eyes on this one. personally i'm looking to order a teuffel niwa, but want to know about what else is out there that's completely unique and non-derivative. i was, for a period, interested in versoul guitars as well.

jtkung

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Kauer does some cool stuff that's definitely outside the traditional S/T box.

JRuss1525

Wow thanks for all the great responses guys! Haha id almost call the amount of options overwhelming. I really like some while some are... just a bit too wild lol.
I really dig the malinosky builds a too

My Mel is also my main guitar - an awesome axe btw! I just took the plunge for a Forshage Neo which I am hoping will be stellar as well! It's going to be a full hollowbody. Maybe you could look at a hollowbody?
Gerard is really a great builder! I got mine second hand, but for the price I paid it is unbeatable! The forshage neo's look really intriguing as well. Looked at some of his other builds.. some are really sweet, some wonky but really cool, all around really innovative looking.

Gonna take the time to check out all these cool builders... my brain hurts haha

JRuss1525

There are lots of great modern guitar builders out there who aren't doing updated takes on Fender and Gibson. See:
And many more ...
Check out modernmojoguitars.com or Jamie Gale Boutique Guitar Showcase for more examples. This is indeed the Golden Age of Luthiery!

Lots go great stuff here too... I find the aristides pretty intriguing.. Using non wood tone material called Arium in the guitar is bizarre. Kind of reminds me of the older modulus guitars.

shawnerie

Wow thanks for all the great responses guys! Haha id almost call the amount of options overwhelming. I really like some while some are... just a bit too wild lol.
I really dig the malinosky builds a too

Gerard is really a great builder! I got mine second hand, but for the price I paid it is unbeatable! The forshage neo's look really intriguing as well. Looked at some of his other builds.. some are really sweet, some wonky but really cool, all around really innovative looking.

Gonna take the time to check out all these cool builders... my brain hurts haha

Yes Gerard is really a great builder, my Melancon has tone for days. So sweet. I'm not sure how a guitar can beat that tone.... still thinking really.

JRuss1525

So much cool stuff.. Unfortunately I'd have to sell an arm and a leg to have a lot of them built and it seems the second hand market for most is very limited.
Still really dig a lot of the Malinoski shapes.. It seems he's stopped making custom builds though which is unfortunately and is working directly with a couple of guitar dealers.

Yes Gerard is really a great builder, my Melancon has tone for days. So sweet. I'm not sure how a guitar can beat that tone.... still thinking really.

What type of Mel are ya rockin?

Zamm Guitars

Jesselli Guitars, Joe apprenticed/worked for Jimmy D'Aquisto for almost 10 years and Keith Richards has had him build him 3 guitars that he still uses to this day!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom