Who is designing Two Rock Amps

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
Correct. I was referring to the drama. Also the never ending "high priced Dumble clone" which seems to be forever attached to the brand.
People get jealous of seeing others succeed. I am sure it's tiring for those involved....the ones actually taking the risk, the ones putting their heart and soul into it. On the other end of the spectrum, those that fail are mocked and ridiculed.

jpage

Correct. I was referring to the drama. Also the never ending "high priced Dumble clone" which seems to be forever attached to the brand.
No offense, but isn't that 'attached to the brand' because it is an accurate description? I don't think anyone would dispute that they are indeed 'high priced'... and they are at the very least based on Dumble designs, correct? Is it the word 'clone' that is the issue for you? Again, no offense, I own plenty of high priced amps myself haha.

I think the drama here is based solely on the claim by the apparent new ownership group that the talent he cut loose is somehow still involved. That's a nice trick, fire a guy then tell everyone that'll listen that he's actually still there...

Joe Mlog

First, let me say I have no dog in this fight. I'm out of Two-Rock and everything amp business related, have been for a few years now. I just find it fascinating that 15 years after staring the company the conversation, and perhaps the perception, is little changed. I don't disagree that the Krinard situation as presented is a bit dramatic. But I don't know the particulars. That said I have nothing but complete respect for my co-founding ex biz partner and the folks at PBG.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
and they are at the very least based on Dumble designs, correct?
Dumble tone rather than "clones", at least at first IMO. The first amps built by K&M were based on the tone of Kimock's Dumble IIRC. I think that later models, up to the Classic series (Type 3, etc) were variations on that theme. None of these models were exact clones as far as I know. I'm not mechanically inclined. Beginning with the Classic Series TR started getting away from D style amps and designs, and introduced the Classic Reverb, a one channel amp and the Mayer Sig, also a one channel amp. I think that the only Dumble clone that TR built was the TS1, and that was a very limited type thing. Most of these newer amps are no more expensive than the competition IMO, and some are less expensive. I think the only current production D style amp that TR sells is the Coral, and it's no clone.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Dumble tone rather than "clones", at least at first IMO. The first amps built by K&M were based on the tone of Kimock's Dumble IIRC. I think that later models, up to the Classic series (Type 3, etc) were variations on that theme. None of these models were exact clones as far as I know. I'm not mechanically inclined. Beginning with the Classic Series TR started getting away from D style amps and designs, and introduced the Classic Reverb, a one channel amp and the Mayer Sig, also a one channel amp. I think that the only Dumble clone that TR built was the TS1, and that was a very limited type thing. Most of these newer amps are no more expensive than the competition IMO, and some are less expensive. I think the only current production D style amp that TR sells is the Coral, and it's no clone.
This was a fascinating thread to read. I've got one of the original Emerald 50s, not the Emmy Pro model. Do you (or anyone else) know what it was based on? There's almost zero information out on the web about it.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
This was a fascinating thread to read. I've got one of the original Emerald 50s, not the Emmy Pro model. Do you (or anyone else) know what it was based on? There's almost zero information out on the web about it.
Hit up Chad.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not familiar with the Emerald 50. I think it has more of a Marshall type overdrive whereas the Emerald Pro has a more traditional Dumble type OD. Chad at TR would have the answer.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
So what's the status on the quality of the two rock amps now?? I'm interested in getting one :)

Trending Topics