Who is doing a great job of modding pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toneman335, Jun 28, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

I am aware to a certain degree of Keeley and Analogman but not of anyone else out there modding pedals. How would you rate the two I mentioned plus list anyone else out there that you think is doing a great job in the modification of pedals.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

3. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Maybe not the same stature as Keeley, Analogman or Allums, but $uperpuma does solid work...

http://www.superpuma.net/

He's the one making the Beavis-sanctioned Trotsky Drives these days.

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

your local tech or any geek with an internet connection. srsly.

diystompboxes and **************.org

edit: oops. nevermind on that second one.

5. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I just picked up a Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver and it seriously blew me away. I did not expect it to sound that good.

I've also owned an Analogman modded TS9 and it killed the stock TS9, IMHO. But as I'm not much of a tubescreamer guy anyway, I sold it.

I have also used home mod diagrams to mod my own pedals, and they have not sounded so good. So I'd prefer to go with people whose mods I have heard and liked. But, it's also possible that I'm just not very good at modding. So maybe what I'm really saying is don't buy pedals modded by me. ;)

6. ?&!

?&! Member

I've had good luck with Keeley stuff and Analogman stuff. I've done some Monte Allums mods, which are simple and sound great. My favorites are Brian Wampler's Indyguitarist.com mods, though. I bought his mod book, then scoured Craigslist for cheap pedals, and went to town. Everything was well documented and explained, and every mod was a noticeable improvement.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I'd say analogman is the best for doing stuff with more vintage tones and keeley does more of a hotrodding thing. Other guys out there doing stuff are mohomods, vodka mods, cmatmods, indyguitarist, ronsound (for big muffs), weed...that's all I can think of right now.

8. JeffE

JeffE Member

Mark Humphrey - famous for his Boss CS3 compressor "Atom Smasher" mod.

9. emeka

emeka Member

+1- I love Analog Mike's mods- one of my friends just got back his DMM from analogman and the mods made it so much more useful (not like it wasn't great in the first place).:dude

10. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

When I signed up at indyguitarist I was senta link that had several mods you can do yourself to several pedals. Easy enough for anyone to do it.

11. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

+1 for Brian Wampler at IndyGuitarist! Great guy, great work, great sounding pedals!

12. peacebone

peacebone Member

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah, definitly Brian at indyguitarist.com.

Buy his book, which teaches you to mod pedals just like (well, you know) analogman and Keeley. It's all stuff that has been researched by DIY guy's anyway. I've taken some decent pedals and made them amazing with Brian's easy instructions. It takes a little patience but definitly worth it. He and others have done the ground work, just buy some decent tools and join the fun.