Who is EHX going to go for next??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemiracle220, Jan 16, 2014.

1. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

So everyone is cool with EHX kloning the klon, but rallied around PaulC when the evil Danelectro copied the Timmy? I don't follow the logic there.

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

well, PART of the logic is that Bill actually has no product
    and PART of the logic is that we really like Paul as a human bean
    but PART of your point is that there is no logic:beer

3. etc

etc Member

I'm surprised they haven't tried making a tape echo yet.

Or how about another Echorec clone?

4. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

The Cornball

5. mcnabbanov

mcnabbanov Member

fwiw i'd still buy the Timmy from you Paul! have a tim and timmy already though, love em.

just seems to make sense for them, given the vemuram debacle people willing to pay $400 for it

6. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

I think that it's because the Timmy is both readily available and reasonably priced. The Klon is neither of those.

I have also noticed that people around here generally tend to have more favorable things to say about PaulC than Bill and I'm sure that factors in for some people as well. I, however, have had no direct dealings with either.

7. ispunk

ispunk Member

Big Muff with toroidal transformers?

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep I'd buy the orig at slight premium just based off principle.

9. Mothman

Mothman Member

I dunno... they're a business of a certain scale, and they would make what they think is going to resonate with the largest number of buyers. The Klon? That's an easy one. A TS clone? Ditto. A Nano-sized Muff that sounds decent? Yep.

A Maestro clone? Hmmm.

EHX is a pretty unusual outfit. They've come out with complex stuff that probably took beaucoups development time and money to realize (Ravish Sitar, Talking Machine) that I can't imagine a single other company throwing the same resources into, because the end market is so incredibly limited. I'd love to know how many units of either of those were actually sold, just for curiosity's sake. But I get the sense (maybe a carefully manufactured sense, but it's there nonetheless) that Mike Matthews makes what he's interested in, and figures the rest will sort itself out. I kinda doubt anything Timmy-ish is on his radar. But a Maestro clone fits in with Mike's image as a late-60's music raconteur, regardless of whether the average Joe walking through a Guitar Center somewhere knows or cares about ancient fuzz technology. It's a fool's errand to try and guess what such an unpredictable character might do, but I have my own personal wish:

A Nano-sized Deluxe Electric Mistress that really duplicates the sound/functionality of the original. Hell, if Mooer can cram one into a matchbox for $88, surely Mike's team can get one in a Nano. (No, not the Neo Mistress, and not the Stereo Electric Mistress, either. Better than that.)

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Since when is Paul a bean? :huh:D
    Is that why his pedals work and sound so good?
    For a very reasonable price?

11. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

if i'm correct, it's a reference from the BFG by roald dahl.

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

13. Faldoe

Faldoe Senior Member

exactly. And that was what was so douchey on Danelectro's part when cloning the Timmy in the first place.

14. thedroid

thedroid Member

15. blaster

blaster Member

Paul C's Timmy will always be in demand. The Timmy is the best pedal I have and I have a lot of pedals. Paul C. is one great guy.

16. djluis48

djluis48 Member

Im buying some EHX pedals this year. Already bought the Soul Food. The next one might be the Tortion and then the Satisfaction. Then if funds allow it, might grab the Glove OD. Awesome 2014 line EHX!