• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Who is playing a Roland 60 for jazz?

Hatim

I have a couple of jazzgigs coming and I am looking for a not too expensive combo to play with double bass, saxophone and a singer. I am playing a '56 Gibson es-125.
Are you happy with the Roland 60 or are there better alternatives?

Hans

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I was using the Cube 60 for rehearsals for a while. It produced some nice jazz tones with my 335.

But last Friday night at rehearsal I was playing a jazz tune with my Explorer through the Cube 60 and it sounded thin. I was blaming the guitar but thought I'd plug it into my Super Reverb just to be sure. All of a sudden it sounded rich and full...perfect for the song.

I had been happy with the Cube 60 for rehearsals up until that little test, and as a grab and go I'd still use it without hesitation, but don't think I'd consider using it as my #1.

Last edited:

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone else using one for jazz gigs?

I have a Cube 30 I've been using on some jazz gigs and it's been working well on both the JC and Black Panel models. These are mostly drummerless trio gigs, so the 30 watts is fine.

I'm thinking about the new Cube 80x. Wondering if it'd make a good jazz amp for louder gigs. I'd still have my tube amp for my rock gigs though.

daddyo

I have a Cube 30 and what really makes it come alive for clean and jazz tones is a bit of compression. I use a Allums modded CS3 with just enough compression to give it that slightly squished tone.

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Cube 30 and what really makes it come alive for clean and jazz tones is a bit of compression. I use a Allums modded CS3 with just enough compression to give it that slightly squished tone.
Cool, that makes sense. I find on the Black Panel model, if you up the gain knob a bit you do get some of that tube-like compression too.

Waxhead

i've used mine on a bunch of jazz gigs and sessions and it sounds great
I gigged with a Cube 60 with a trad jazz band for 2.5 years. With a Gretsch into the JC-120 clean channel, touch of in-built reverb it did the job well. Very rugged, reliable and compact. Best SS amp in it's class IMHO.

Trending Topics