• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who is singing that Simple Man cover?

catpeople

I've heard a recent cover of Simple Man at the store quite a few times recently. Who sings it? It's probably the most oversung and overwrought performance I've ever heard, and it completely misses the point of the lyrics. Simple. Not histrionic. Anyway I'd like to know who that is so I never buy their records by accident.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Yer being somewhat...literal here, no?

Should the song have only one chord? Since, it's about being Simple.

Not that I am a fan of this cover--it's bad.

sws1

I love that cover. I actually prefer it to the original.

And I completely disagree with the notion that a song about being a simple man can't be sung with some aggression. Absurd.

Go Cat Go!!

Holy Cow! I had to look it up as I had never heard it. Sounds like an American Idol audition, an unsuccessful one. I agree with the OP.

IMO American Idol has is ruining vocalists the world over. Every utterance and vowel has to be on 10 and the vibrato is way over the top. Dynamics are out the window.

JohnLnyc

Holy Cow! I had to look it up as I had never heard it. Sounds like an American Idol audition, an unsuccessful one. I agree with the OP.

IMO American Idol has is ruining vocalists the world over. Every utterance and vowel has to be on 10 and the vibrato is way over the top. Dynamics are out the window.
I think you have it the wrong way round.
POP music these days is influencing those "Idol" vocalists. They are basically mimicking what they are hearing on the radio, convinced this is the road to success (which it unfortunately is for too many).

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
I don't much care for the cover either. I tend to be of the mindset that if you're going to cover a song, you should make it your own and make it good. 311 failed miserably at making The Cure's "Love Song" their own. A Perfect Circle succeeded at making "Peace, Love, & Understanding" their own, but it wasn't any good. All Shinedown did was turn Simple Man into an Unplugged session for MTV.

Misterbulbous

It's about as bad as the cover of Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch.

Both songs seem like a desperate attempt to get radio airplay and since today's radio stations are playing nothing but 70's and 80's classic rock, it's probably not an unwise decision by these bands.

Big Boss Man

If it is the Shinedown cover, then it is Brent Smith singing. He is a very good singer so I would not write them off completely. I can understand feeling that the cover is oversung because it is. They have lots of good songs of their own where that type of vocal performance works great though.

billfoma

"I Dare You" was their first song that made me take notice of how good Brent Smith can sing. Simple Man is a bit over the top, though.

msteeln

I recall a small house party video where this song was sung/played quite well, maybe by the guy in question, didn't find it over done at all.

6shotsdown

I'm floored by all of these reactions to this cover. The guy has a great voice and crushes this song. To each their own I guess.

Also, that Bad Company cover by 5 Finger Death Punch is a lot of fun.

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
^^^I think most people are recognizing the guy can sing, but goes way overboard with it.

5 Finger Death Punch doing Bad Co. is one of the worst things I've ever heard.

jbird

Maybe my Dad would've played the original for me, but I would play Shinedown's version for my son! Great cover!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom