Who is still digging their Dual Drives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzyguitars, Aug 4, 2005.

1. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Who is still digging their Dual Drives?

I have been seeing a few popping up for sale.

Tell me why you are keeping it.

Tell me why you unloaded it!

Is it because Pro Analog is coming out with a new higher gain pedal.

I think it is called something royal with cheeze

too cooL!

Its giving me some major gas!

2. muddy

muddy Member

ME!!! here, i JUST posted this in another thread earlier; it should give you an idea how i still feel about this amazing ped:

there certainly aren't anymore getting put up for sale than all the other ped's out there. guitarists are a fickle lot. i don't sell mine for one very simple reason; it delivers as promised! and for a "live" situation pedal, there are none better. if you can turn up, you've just found heaven.

ml

3. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Still using it, still happy with it.
    If you use it at home, crank the gain channel and wail away, that's where the fun is.
    But if you get to use it live with other musicians where your amp is up to speed, the diverse attributes of the pedal and the 2 channels really open up. You get some pretty acute EQ changes at this volume and the gtr/amp feedback and resonance gets unreal.
    OR, everything Muddy said!

It's also a perfect pedal to throw in your gig bag for the unknown amp or jam situation you may encounter. Responds really well to gtr. volume settings at any gain level on the pedal.

4. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I still use mine religiously. :)

It's very dynamic and transparent, so I find using it to coax some more overdrive and sustain out of my setup works wonders.

It's currently my dedicated lead pedal and it rocks my JTM-45 like nothing else I've ever tried :cool:

Between that and my Supa Quack, I'm convinced Scotty has one of the best ears in the business :dude

5. duende

duende Member

Yep... just got mine back from Scotty. He was nice enough to give it a little tune-up. Boy did I miss it though!!! Can't wait to get to the studio and open it up for reals thru a cranked amp.

Yeah there has been a few for sale, but there's been WAY more new reviews on HC of new happy DD owners...

There's so many different timbres in the DD. It can wear many hats....
    I tune mine to be raunchy and sputtery with feedback just begging to be had. At times, depending how I hit my guitar, it reminds of a tube Over Drive... say an original Chandler Tube Driver meets a Varidrive runing telefunken 12ax7's...

But like Muddy says... guitarists are a picky bunch. And it really depends on how it works in your own set-up.

I WAS into goosing it with my Klon, but I've done some major re-evaluation of my board lately, and I'm sorry to say, but I'm going to try to give the Klon a little vacation from my board for awhile. I'm really not digging the way it's buffer makes my DD sound, my Echoczar, or my COT50 for that matter.

So... now I'm going to try and substitute the COT50 for it... And see how that does... but as soon as I get some extra cash, I'm ordering Scotty's power driver.

Yep... that's my story on the DD!

6. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Just ordered one Bro !!!!

7. duende

duende Member

You had to have one first... didn't ya!!!:mad: :p

Damn dude... you better give us a full report!! INCLUDING MOST IMPORTANTLY... how it does slamming the front end of the DD!!!

I've yet to hear one... beta tester never made it out to the west coast...

anyways congrats.

Alex

8. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

Still Loving the Dual Drive for all the reasons mentioned above. Nothing else does what it does. An amazing box for subtle (or not so subtle) fine-tuning of EQ and overall tone in the studio.

One of the best ears in the business? I'll go a step further: Scotty has TWO of the best ears in the business, and he uses both of them from what i can tell.

I continue to have similarly enthusiastic relationships with my Proanalog MKII and Scary FAce, and his Powerdriver is next on my list.

9. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I'm still diggin' mine also for all the above mentioned reasons. I took it off the board for a few days and found myself missing it too much. Duende, don't give up on the Klon just yet. Mine was off the board for months and I just set it up behind the DD. I'm in love all over again. The DD feeding the Klon really sets a new standard for me.

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I think you nailed it right there (atleast in my instance). It can take a signal, keep everything you love about the original signal and can boost frequencies from there. The OD part of the pedal really works well on top of an amp's original distortion.

11. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

It could very well be my desert island pedal. The DD has become the standard by which I judge my other pedals with regards to dynamics, transients, and amplike feel. It's the one pedal which keeps the Eternity from getting too egotisical.:)
    Definitely waiting to hear how the PowerDriver is.

12. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Haven't had my Dual Drive for very long, but I can't imagine being without it. I really agree with all thats been said here, and I can totally relate to what cubba65 said about the "home" vs. "cranked" applications...I can get great tones in either situation by approaching the pedal differently for each. Very adaptable.
    The main reason I love the pedal is for its clarity and depth of dynamics. Its hard to describe, but most pedals that retain clarity and definition when playing chords still seem to kill the natural resonance of each individual note in the chord to some degree...sort of a flattening of the dynamics. The DD is the only pedal that I've ever played which retains the natural balance of resonance of the notes within chords when heavily overdriven. Love it.
    Oh, and running my D*A*M '66 or MKII Tonebenders into the front end of the Dual Drive just makes me laugh...sick, sick, sick. For some reason the DD just gives a new character to those fuzzes and makes them compress and decay in a whole new way. I am not usually a pedal stacker, but this combo just rips.
    I'm off to the blood bank to make some money for my Power Driver piggy bank. :D

13. cubba65

cubba65 Member

I'm with e-flat on this one.

I told Scotty one day I was using his Dual Drive as a master volume for my other drives.
    The silence was deafening!!!
    (I love to tell him stuff like this, if only to ruffle his feathers)
    :p

The thing is like a little amplifier, so it's only natural that it would work great as a stacking pedal too, especailly if you're running it at higher voltages.

Hmmmm.... since I mentioned higher voltages, anyone have a voltage preference for the Dual Drive?

I prefer the 12V one that Scotty offers. I've tried it with 9V and 18V, but for me, the 12V offers the best balance of dirt/clarity.

14. duende

duende Member

Hey CBeeper,

don't get me wrong. I will always have BIG LOVE for the Klon... It's just time for my ears to have a little re-set and takes some time off from the sound of it's buffer.

15. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I'm a 12 volter my self. It seems to be the best balance overall. Has a bit more clarity but still drives like a mo'fo'.
    Duende. I got cha' man but believe me you won't be needing too much of a rest with the DD in front of the Klon. The buffer was bugging me big time too but it seems to be transparent with the DD in front. I had a cool tone going with these two my Tele and a Route 66 the other day. i had the Klon with the gain down low and the volume up around 3 o-clock, treble at 12. It was a great rhythm tone until I kicked the DD in. Yowza! It pushed the Klon over the edge for some nasty leads.

16. duende

duende Member

Yep... Cubba, I have to say you are 100% correct about 12V. I WAS using it at 18V, but then I did some re-arranging of my Juicebox, and now I'm running it a 13.2V. Don't have a 12V outlet.... go figure.

17. duende

duende Member

Where's the Klon in your chain??? Just curious.. because I hear the buffer no matter where I put it. It messes with my Cot50 and Echoczar too. But for some songs... I like what the buffer does... :confused:

Anyways... glad to hear it's rocking for you! :dude

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I got a Dual Drive early on - got to sample one on tour - and I love it. Both channels are very useful. I use it with a 12v supply.

I only have the Drive @ 12:00, but I love the tones of both channels there - I'm not much into high gain. It really sings with great clarity. I can't see ever selling it.

19. Ken

Ken Member

Yup...Still using the Pro Analog Dual Drive...

Nice little preamp ;)

20. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Yo Fuzzy,
    didn't you just purchase Leons double D?.......
    You'll have to give your opinion.....
    I'm glad I bought one . the thing seems to go were you point it. As far as OD type things go, it's a gooder... Klon who? .......
    Just kidding.. The Klon is a great pedal too.. but I do preffer the DD....

Oh I forgot to mention.. get a power supply of some sort.. the Dual Drive treats a battery like it walked down the wrong alley..