1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the best guitar luthier in NYC area?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 241guy, Feb 16, 2009.

1. 241guy

241guy Senior Member

Who does the best guitar work in New York area as far as set ups, fret dress,grind & polish, neck twists,plek etc? Just looking for ideas and new locations. Thanks guys.

2. Chi

Chi Member

Norio Imai- Imai Guitars in Manhattan
    Leroy Aiello - Mandolin Brothers

:BEER

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

John Bertsche at We Buy Guitars in Nassau, Long Island..he is top shelf!!!

4. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

I'd go with John Bertsche as well.

5. MOJO

MOJO Member

i think he use to do work on other instruments, but not sure if he still does...you could give Roger Sadowsky a call and find out.....he's in Brooklyn

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

I was also going to say Sadowsky. After playing some of his basses, i could just imagine what he can do for a guitfiddle.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure if he's still at Sam Ash Huntington but Larry Fitzgerald is one of the better repair persons in the area. I believe he worked for both Rudy's and Mandolin Bros.

8. repairmyguitar

repairmyguitar Member

9. axe4me

axe4me Member

10. okbutjustonce

okbutjustonce Senior Member

Matt at 30th Street knows his way around a geetar.

11. 005

005 Member

12. davidos

davidos Member

+1 for Evan.... GREAT work and super nice guy.

13. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Sorry Folks- IME there is no one "Best" guy in NYC. They all have things they do better than others. By virtue of being in their shops for the the last 10+ years, you get to know these guys, and their work. Just like any contractor each one has a specialty. I use different guys for different things. Other things to consider are price and turnaround time. Also most of the cats here are techs, repairmen...not luthiers IMHO. A luthier is different than what you're looking for. Though they do come in the same package from time to time.

Flip Scipio is the grand poobah 'round these parts, but you'll have to kiss the guitar goodbye for a while. There's the guy at "we buy", Norio...all the usuals aready named here from Mando and Rudy's. Evan will get a shout out as he's a forum guy with a loyal client base- good prices/solid work. Matt Brewster will take care of stuff while I wait, I like that...he's not too precious about anything, more pratical. Norio is great for in town vintage work on pricey gear that I'm looking to resell down the road potentially, it's nice to say he did the work as it usually help insulate the piece from losing value. Larry Fitzgerald has done 5+ fret jobs for me over the years and is a great tech, but he's way out on LI and as such there's the time factor to consider. Acoustics get seen by different guys than my electrics, and the Fenders have a different tech than the Gibbies! For acoustic top cracks I go to Bob Jones, for....on and on.

Get to know these guys and get a feel for their work. Also, you need to be very upfront with yourself about what type of customer you are, how anal are you? How important is this job, and is it worth nearly double the cost and time to bring it to the "Big Cheese". I've been pleased with cheap stuff as often as let down by pedigree repairs. You also need to be very, and I mean very specific about the kind of job you want, and do it without being a dick about it. Tough for sure.

Best of luck,

JD

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    enharmonic likes this.
  14. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Great post Jack. I really don't consider myself a forum guy though as less than 1% of my clientele is from online forums. I do check them periodically though as I love to see what folks are talking about. I have great relationships with several techs in the area and often give them business when I am overbooked. This has been happening more and more unfortunately (or fortunately in this economy).
    Best, Evan

enharmonic likes this.
  15. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Not meant as a slight. I just know that you've got a satisfied customers here...that's all.

16. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

no worries Jack, your post should be a "sticky" as it is an accurate picture of NYC and this question comes up a lot. I really like the way you think about this as it leaves room for mutual respect and expectations from both tech and client. I wish all clients were like you.
    Best, Evan

17. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

18. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I have gone to Evan a half-dozen times and he has always done good work for me! :)

19. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I've been extremely satisified with both Flip and Norio.....top notch all the way. Both are also great guys.....

Eugene

20. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

best "luthier" in the NY area?
    John Monteleone