• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who is the Most Tasteful Guitarist?

DirtLover

Silver Supporting Member
There are too many "correct" answers, or, maybe, there is no correct answer... whoa!

For me, the guys that come to mind are Gilmour and Knopfler, not to say there aren't dozens of other great answers to the question. Honorable mention for a guy that doesn't always get recognition for being, among other things, an excellent guitar player. Bruce Cockburn. Check out the tasty leads in Burden of the Angel Beast:

...and DirtLover, that guy is tasty.

Last edited:

WordMan

Homo Logos
Platinum Supporting Member
Sir?

You are asking my POV on tasteful guitarists?

I assumed the Conventional Wisdom answer, which I am totally comfortable with, is Gilmour. Jeff Beck is my guy, but he is a vocalist who plays guitar and enjoys taking risks that one could argue are more in your face vs. tasteful. Gilmour always stays tasty.

Of the Bygone Greats, any list that didn’t start with Charlie Christian would have to be questioned. The whole reason he is Charlie Christian and one of the Top Three Most Influential Guitarists of the Modern Era - along with T-Bone Walker and Mother Maybelle Carter - is because of his taste and how he took a horn soloist approach to becoming the first Lead Guitarist.

If I am going to offer a personal choice, the one that comes to mind today is Peter Green on The Super-Natural. Hearing him will notes to sustain, and ever-so-gently work his vibrato to coax feedback as the note played on? That is Taste, to me.

Last edited:
Sir?

You are asking my POV on tasteful guitarists?

I assumed the Conventional Wisdom answer, which I am totally comfortable with, is Gilmour. Jeff Beck is my guy, but he is a vocalist who plays guitar and enjoys taking risks that one could argue are more in your face vs. tasteful. Gilmour always stays tasty.

Of the Bygone Greats, any list that didn’t start with Charlie Christian would have to be questioned. The whole reason he is Charlie Christian and one of the Top Three Most Influential Guitarists of the Modern Era - along with T-Bone Walker and Mother Maybelle Carter - is because of his taste and how he took a horn soloist approach to becoming the first Lead Guitarist.

If I am going to offer a personal choice, the one that comes to mind today is Peter Green on The Super-Natural. Hearing him will notes to sustain, and ever-so-gently work his vibrato to coax feedback as the note played on? That is Taste, to me.

Awesome! Is there a book on the subject of matter that be obtained?

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
When I think of Charlie Christian.... I think inventive, musical, groundbreaking and hugely influential - not really tasteful, per se

In fact, he had chops to spare - especially for the time

Guess it depends what qualifiers you’re using to categorize as “tasteful“, I guess
(which for me, is usually melody and simplicity over technique and speed)

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
so basically, from what i’ve read of the thread, is, every known guitarist is the most tasteful guitarist.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Pevar is a good call - he is also a real nice person. If you enjoy his playing, you would probably enjoy Steuart Smith as well . You are probably already familiar with him, but if not, he performed with Rosanne Cash and Shawn Colvin and others and he is just so very tasteful. Live he is amazing to watch -so effortless.
Jeff is awesome! Very good bottleneck slide player. Here's a nice one with an allstar lineup.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom