Who is the Most Tasteful Guitarist?

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Who cares...

Everyone knows that it doesn’t matter how the notes are placed...

For great soloing all that matters is taking 5 of your favorite notes appropriate for the song or not.... showing everyone how fast you can play those notes over and over with no regards for rhythm or cohesive patterns at all.
faster faster faster

Jynx

At this moment in time; Julian Lage.

Ask me again the next time one of these threads pops up for a completely different answer.

jkl

Mick Ronson.
Big time and easily. Ronno is someone that if you know who he is, then he is you favorite guitarist/muscian ever. ( short of Hendrix anyway. RIP to the Spider with platinum hair)
If only they hadn't knocked their whatever it really was going on between them in time for Ronno to finally take his place beside Bowie before his passing. He belonged beside Bowie... As good as his solo and other stuff was, they were both at their best when they were together, and they both knew it... He was the ONLY person that was Bowie's equal on that stage, and combined...
That they HAD just started to work together again when he died... And from the same damn cancer that would take Bowie himself...
Again, IF you know who he is, then there is no need for another word. If you don't... Start with Ziggy and work forward and backwards from there...

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Too many. To me tasteful is more lyrically based than cool lick based although both approaches are valid.

Given this criteria I'm going to add Dave Mason and especially Jim Messina.

SlaminSam

Silver Supporting Member
Start of with the Obvious (in no particular order):
BB King
David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Don Felder

Not so obvious:
Sam Vilo

There is no best, but I love how all these guys play and write!

Johnnie2

Barry Bailey, though I suspect not many may be aware of him. There are many here I`ve not heard of. He was unique and perfect for his situation.

SpudWahene

I guess a lot of people have a different idea of what tasteful means. There are some great guitar players listed, but not exactly tasteful.
Knopfler.

madprofessor

Gold Supporting Member
Warren Haynes is ridiculously expressive - but still on earth compared to Gilmour. I concur that G. Harrison is underrated. Rev Billy G. is not getting enough love here.

That said, tastiness is hard to rate in absolute terms.

Break123

Sorry, should have posted a video of andy timmons who i really admire he has absurdly amazing feeling and tone when he plays

RED!

So many great guitarists - I will go with Jeff Beck’s playing on Emotion and Commotion.