• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who is the Most Tasteful Guitarist?

SRGlenn

Gilmour chooses great notes, Luke does too, Carlissi made all those solos that were simple, melodic and perfectly fit every song and gave them the emotion

Maggot

Silver Supporting Member
The most tasteful guitarist is the one you've never heard because every note was so friggin' tasteful that you didn't experience it at all.

jaytee32

Nice.
On Tougher Than the Rest it's Steuart Smith. What a beautiful solo.
Nice ... Steuart Smith is fantastic. A few posts back I had mentioned Richard Bennett - both Richard and Steuart play on Rodney Crowell's "Jewel of the South" album that I've been listening to a whole lot the last couple weeks. Give "Thinkin' About Leaving" and "Ladder of Love" a listen for some very tasteful guitar work.

marvin cobain

Lots of great names here.

I especially appreciate players who are tasteful but have chops available to them, so the tastefulness seems like a choice rather than a reflection of limits in terms of technique.

You want taste? Here's someone not obvious whose playing is as tasteful as they come. Take a listen to Guy King.

I have never heard him before and I'm impressed. I wasn't expecting much from his Michael Bolton look, but that's indeed tasteful playing. And I was expecting also a weak and unbluesy (I suspect that unbluesy doesn't exist as a word but who cares) voice like Robben Ford, but he can sing too. Thank you.

crazyboutguitars

Gold Supporting Member
Nice ... Steuart Smith is fantastic. A few posts back I had mentioned Richard Bennett - both Richard and Steuart play on Rodney Crowell's "Jewel of the South" album that I've been listening to a whole lot the last couple weeks. Give "Thinkin' About Leaving" and "Ladder of Love" a listen for some very tasteful guitar work.
And let’s not forget Kenny Burrell.

Mad Wombat

They've been said already, but my first reaction was:
B.B. He played just enough, and it was always perfect. He could say more in 10 notes than most others could in 100.

boot

Tho' late to the party, with many, many fine artists already mentioned, it never ceases to amaze that Shawn Lane doesn't get the love he so deservingly should: with a rich tone preceding Eric Johnson's attempt at duplication, technical mastery on par with Holdsworth (yes, really), complex compositions and impossibly epic melodies, the late, great Shawn Lane was FAR ahead of his time: BALLS, TASTE, BRAINS and FINESSE - he had it all...

Random1643

Gold Supporting Member
I really did read the whole thread; it's just gone on so long my sorry synapses can't deal with it. So apologies for potential repost, but one tasteful guitarist is Amos Garrett.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
The great Robben Ford
There is no singular “most”....but when I think of tasteful...the architecture of Robben Ford’s playing / improvisations are truly impeccable and inspiring.

To my taste, Robben is about as close to a “perfect” model of musicality as one could be.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom