Who is the next "guitar hero"?

reyleon

Who, in your opinion, is next in line as the next great guitar player? I mean household name, take the world by storm guitar player. Are they signed, unsigned, young, old? Discuss.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody who would qualify as "household name, take the world by storm" would have too much mediocrity in order to satisfy the general public.

s2y

Andy McKee maybe? The finger style acoustic crowd didn't quite get the "less is more" memo that modern rock bands have been using.

I think a lot of it is the that mainstream has created fairly generic musicians. Not a lot of people pushing the limits like back in the day. I get that Yngwie is inherently offensive, but the garage band mentality has perhaps run its course. Why see a garage band if you're already in a garage band??

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
After watching a JD Simo video earlier today playing with Jack Pearson, JD seems to be getting even better than he was. Of course hanging out with Jack doesn't hurt.

JeffK

Gold Supporting Member
The world today isn't looking for a guitar 'hero', and probably wouldn't shine a light on any likely candidate. There is still good guitar-based music to find; it's just not the dominating music of the day.

The world today isn't looking for a guitar 'hero', and probably wouldn't shine a light on any likely candidate. There is still good guitar-based music to find; it's just not the dominating music of the day.
Yes. I cannot believe there was a time when every song had to have a guitar solo in it. Thank god that is over.

taez555

Has there been an actual household name guitar god since Hendrix? Maybe Eddie Van Halen. But beyond that..... most "guitar gods" that we think of are still only known in the guitar community.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Has there been an actual household name guitar god since Hendrix? Maybe Eddie Van Halen. But beyond that..... most "guitar gods" that we think of are still only known in the guitar community.
John Mayer. He is a pretty household name and a generation or two of kids have picked up the guitar because of him (and Taylor Swift).

taez555

John Mayer. He is a pretty household name and a generation or two of kids have picked up the guitar because of him (and Taylor Swift).
John Mayer it is then.

He passes the.... "has my mom heard of him".... litmus test for household name guitar god.

There you go.

/thread.

Trending Topics