who is using ableton live 7?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Jamar, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

i've recently investigated ableton and it looks like the recording program for me. i write my own stuff, like to use reason, sing and play guitar. I've been using an older version of cubase for a while. it does the job, but doesn't really inspire me. i feel like ableton would help me track idea quicker and inspire me a bit more.

are any of you guys using live 7? what are the pros and cons? what system are you using it on? do you use live in conjunction with another program?

2. stump

stump Member

I use the Lite version, 4 tracks, and really like it. I think the Live 7 version just adds additional tracks. The loop capability is nice as I use Acid Pro for most of that type of stuff.

3. rdba

rdba Member

i do!

i love it, because it's so easy to use!!

cheers

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I tried and gave up on Digital Performer before going to Live6 and then Live7. I'm a big fan - very intuitive to use, lots of interesting bells and whistles, seems fairly powerful without beating you over the head with it. It specializes in being loop based, but it works fine as a DAW for recording audio and MIDI. I've never done a loop on it yet, just treat it like a fancy tape recorder with great editing and copy-pasting.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 17", 2.16 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, not super powerful, but it does the job. The rest of the chain is in my sig below...

5. matte

matte Senior Member

have been using live as a rewire, inside of dp, since 2003.

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Finally getting my feet wet in A7 after meaning to switch from ACID for years.

7. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

the rewire capabilities look handy. 6 doesn't have the ability to rewire does it? i have reason 4 which i like and use a lot, but I have an older version of cubase that doesn't let me rewire. i like live 7. session and arrangement views. seems super handy for writing. i've read that live 7 can be a resource hog. is this true? i have a 2ghz macbook with a gig of ram. it looks like i might want to up the ram just to be safe. any opinions?

8. matte

matte Senior Member

i've been running live as a rewire since 4.03.

9. nangillala

nangillala Member

I've just bought a TC Konnekt Live Interface, which comes with Live Lite 6 and offers a free upgrade to 7. But why use it? I use Reaper and I'm very happy with it. I tried some other sequencers like Logic but I don't miss anything in Reaper (well, the elastic time feature of protools would be nice :) )

Florian