Who is using the Boss RC-30xl loopstation

earwax

so who is using this pedal with some success? I am interested in a boomerang but I like Boss footswitches for looping and they are pretty rugged boxes. Also my local music shop has one in stock. Was hoping to hear from current or past owners of this pedal.

tobereleased

I like mine.

I keep my looping mostly pretty simple, it's more of a practice tool than a performance tool for me. When I'm looping in a live situation, I generally just do drones so that I don't have to worry about the drummer and loop getting out of time with eachother. I've seen plenty of people use them for solo acts, but I've found that a lot of loop based performances have become very formulaic, so I generally avoid that (there are exceptions of course - Splatt does great things pushing boundaries with looping, and this Joe Gore video explores how to not make more conventional song looping boring).

I'm particularly fond of the fact that it can do full stereo, but can also sum to mono if I need to - I have stereo delay and reverb running into it, and this means I don't have to change much when I only use one amp instead of two. Another important selling point for me was a mic input with phantom power - I've used this to loop acoustic instruments with a condenser mic from time to time.

I did find that adding an extra footswitch helped my use - just to clear the loops without having to lean over. I also pretty much ignore the effects - they're somewhat gimmicky, and I have other pedals that are better for getting effected sounds.

What are you wanting from a looper? Will it be a performance tool? Will you be playing with a full band?

earwax

Thanks. That's a great rundown. I only ever play with a drummer and I have recently found the RC-3 is a little limiting. I would like to get two separate loops going and alternate between them. So for that limited scope I think the Boss will do. I don't have much interest in loop effects right now besides being able to fade a loop out.

tobereleased

Thanks. That's a great rundown. I only ever play with a drummer and I have recently found the RC-3 is a little limiting. I would like to get two separate loops going and alternate between them. So for that limited scope I think the Boss will do. I don't have much interest in loop effects right now besides being able to fade a loop out.
Yeah, it should be able to handle that - particularly if you get an external pedal, that makes switching loops a lot quicker and easier. I just bought a cheap electric piano sustain pedal to use for this.

It's also nice that there's usb, so you can load tracks from your computer if you want, or you can save your loops onto your computer. I once actually used my pedalboard as a "sound desk" for a local ukulele orchestra gig (single large diaphragm condenser plugged into the RC30 for most of the ukeleles and vocals, bass ukulele running through the rest of the board, the sound system only gave me a quarter inch input to play with). The RC30 has enough looping time that I was able to record the entire second set, and send it to the group.

earwax

Do the two loops run independantly of each other? Can you make the second loop longer than the first?

tobereleased

It doesn't bother me. I don't use separate loops for different parts of songs, I just use them to have removable layers.

If I was more of a performance looper that could be an issue, but for practice and/or songwriting it's not an issue.

One work around would be to completely remove the looping for part of the song - not every sing segment needs multiple layers.

tobereleased

It does have the mic input so that's pretty cool over the boomerang.
Yeah, that was a must-have feature for me personally.

Just think, if you ever get a talkbox, you can route that through the looper to keep it going to your amp rather than straight to front of house. :p

earwax

Does a regular boss power supply work with the rc30? Anyone know the power requirements? The manual doesn't seem to be clear.

tobereleased

It needs 198 mA at 9V, if I recall correctly. I have mine running from a 200 mA output of my decibel11 hotstone deluxe. Any decent power supply should be fine.

It can also run off 6xAA bateries, which they actually supply (at least they did when I bought it). I prefer to run off a power supply though.

Trending Topics