Who is with me here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisross, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

It seems like my dirt pedals are the only pedals that I actually care about how they sound.

With boost, delay, reverb, and whatever else, it's always more about functionality. If it has the features and types of sounds I want, I'm good. For instance, the Nova Delay DOES everything I want, but as far as sound goes, it just sounds like delay? Why have I not tried other delays? Because the Nova already DOES what I want (not necessarily SOUNDS how I "want" it to sound)

But then with OD's and (as of recently) distortion, I'm super picky about the sound and tone. Features mean nothing, only sound! A pedal could have 6 knobs and 3 switches or 1 knob.

Anyone else feel this way?

and don't get me wrong, I love my Nova!

2. josh_w

josh_w Member

I don't know that I completely agree as I'm very picky about my delays/verbs, but my dirt pedals are definitely the most swapped pedals I have.

It could be that, generally speaking, delays and reverbs have numerous models that you can select from to find what you like. Each overdrive, again generally speaking, typically only exists to fulfill a single specific niche.

3. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Yup, the dirt is certainly the most important thing for me too. I can obsess a little bit about delay from time to time but not nearly as much as od/distortion. Give me a good dirt pedal and I can make do with pretty much anything when it comes to chorus, wah, phaser, reverb etc.
    Not that its not fun to try to improve the sound in every area but without the solid foundation of a great dirt pedal it doesnt mean much.

4. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

to me, so many sounds are so general.... like tremolo, i have a tremolo, is has enough options for me, and it sounds, well, like a tremolo. on off on off, why get picky about someting like that? So many effects sound exact, unles you A/B them. Especially to your live crowd, they wont notice the difference between a small stone, or a phase 90 etc. Chorus is another general sounding one to me.

5. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I'm like that. I obsess over dirt but as long as the other effects don't sound bad I'm okay. The only exception would be vibe. I've sent a couple packin' because they don't have the sound/feel.