Who is your favorite acoustic player?

JmpOne

I tend to enjoy guitar more in the context of songs, rather than folks that play purely instrumental pieces. Some artists I've enjoyed:

Darrell Scott
Richard Thompson
John Martyn

A curious thing is they've all had Danny Thompson (no relation to Richard) playing bass with them. Has he been cloned or something?!? :))

SupremeDalek

Doc Watson - a god (everything)
Tony Rice - a god (Pizza Tapes w/ Jerry)
Bill Nershi - a prophet
Todd Scheaffer (Railroad Earth)
Dave Bruzza (Greensky Bluegrass)

My list of acoustic inspirations is enormous, but this list are my big ones.

andrekp

Doc and Tony Rice immediately come to mind, but really there are a lot of really good acoustic players among the singer songwriters and bluegrass people.

I think I am the only acoustic player that really dislikes Tommy Emmanuel. I think he just over stylizes absolutely everything he plays to the point of disrespecting the songs. It’s like if the Harlem Globetrotters were in the actual NBA and every serious game got broken up by someone clowning around on the ref, or tossing buckets of confetti into the crowd.

GA20T

I think I am the only acoustic player that really dislikes Tommy Emmanuel. I think he just over stylizes absolutely everything he plays to the point of disrespecting the songs. It’s like if the Harlem Globetrotters were in the actual NBA and every serious game got broken up by someone clowning around on the ref, or tossing buckets of confetti into the crowd.

I don't really disagree. Seems like a super nice and talented fellow, but I once had really good seats and told a friend I had a headache (I did, thought it would make it much worse) last minute rather than attending the show. Always felt the same way about Chet TBH.

zombywoof

I only recently discovered, to my eternal shame, Jorma Kaukonen...
I first saw Jorma with the Airplane in 1968 at the Fillmore East. But that first Hot Tuna LP released in 1970 was an amazing eye opener. I never looked at an acoustic guitar the same way after that. It also knew from that moment on I just had to get me a Gibson J50.

Last edited:

zombywoof

Does anybody else remember this coming together of two amazing players? Unfortunately, all we ever got was the Crosscurrents LP released in 1969.

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
…a few faves not yet mentioned…

Willy Porter

James Nash

Larry Keel

Joni Mitchell

Stephen Stills

s2y

I enjoy the flat pickers and fingerstyle players. Not quite into the delta blues.

I have to give Andy McKee a very solid nod because he sent me down the rabbit hole. He also saved me from quitting guitar after a really nasty band experience.

asintoras

There are so many, but with steel strings:
Tommy Emmanuel (saw him live), Joe Robinson, Mike Dawes, Bireli Lagrene, Tony Rice, Luca Stricagnoli (saw him live), Michael Chapdelaine, Lucas Imbiriba, etc...
Stl stuck on Micheal Hedges. Admittedly dont listen to much acoustic.

This woman made a big impression. Not sure Ive seen better anywhere.

Interesting you mentioned Roxane Elfasci. She is a classic player and I have also made my rendition of that same arrangement:

Now, from the classical and flamenco guitar side, some of my favourites are:
Matt Palmer, Grisha Goriachev (met both and they are incredible), Tariq Harb, Julian Bream (RIP), David Russel, John Williams, Paco de Lucia, Marco Tamayo, Anabel Montesinos, Kasuhito Yamashita (most incredible technique ever!).

Last edited:

goose1441

Tony Rice takes the cake for me. I love at the end of the Shady Grove track on the pizza tapes Jerry laughs and goes "oh gosh, oh jeez, try to restrain yourself Tony". That about sums it up for me.

Among the younger players, it's tough to beat Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings these days.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom