Who is your favorite pedal demo guy on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Interesting to see all the different views. I guess that's why the variety exists!

My favorites are Jay Leonard J and JJ Tanis

I do also enjoy Mike Hermans and Andy's reviews. They are always vey professional and thorough but I'm not a fan of Andy not using a pick. Many demos have the same dull "thwack" to them. Mike Hermans is a fantastic player but his playing and demo songs gets very same/same predictable sounding.

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I don’t watch those guys for pedal reviews exactly though, I look at TPS as a show about pedals. There’s useful stuff about specific pedals, sure, and I have skipped to the relevant part sometimes which is generally not that hard to do looking at the visual clues, but they’ll do a show about Klon Clones, not about the Tumnus or whatever. Random example, but also one that actually influenced a purchase I made.

sonic1974, Simon and Someotherguy like this.
  3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I’m fine with average Joe playing, but average Joe video making often leaves much to be desired. That is, if there’s any time for playing left after the unboxing part. I dont need a fantastic production or anything, but so many of them are so unwatchable and full of uninformed jibber jabber that I generally just skip to the pros. Some of the pros do indulge in jibber jabber, but it’s informed jibber jabber!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I like that pedal show, shawn tubbs and pete thorn. I don't like brett kingman as his style is grating to me, does a good job explaining features, I just don't think his playing. Mike Hermans on the other hand, does great videos but he's too smooth as I can't relate as I'm a harder hitter. It's a weird thing. How a pedal reacts to him is very different when I play it. Maybe I just suck!

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  5. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

Pete Thorn, Brett Kingman and lately Rabea Massaad. Also really enjoy The Pedal Bored for comparisons (same with TPS).

6. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

Way to make me feel old.

My first demo videos were watching fatback playing his tele and lentz through skreddy and bjfe pedals. Killer tone and playing! Must have been around '05 or '06?
    I haven't seen @fatback post for a long time though...
    I wonder if anyone remembers earlier demo's than that :/

Glenn Baren likes this.
  7. indeedido

indeedido Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Pete Thorn, Brett Kingman, Mike Hermans videos are so produced you don't hear what the pedal/gear actually sounds like. Everything sounds the same. The playing is phenomenal, but it is eq'd/mastered in a way that is sounds nothing like the pedal they're playing. I prefer a raw demo like gearmanndude where I can hear the tones. I'm not auditioning and evaluating players, I just want to hear the gear.

8. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

Andy Martin - PGS/Reverb.com
    GearManDude
    Dan and Mick - That Pedal Show

9. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Brett Kingman
    Pete Thorn
    Ola Englund
    Leon Todd
    Rebea Massaad
    Simon Smith
    Dennis Kayzer
    Shaun Tubbs
    Killer Tones Texas
    Mr Excane

10. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Member

Gearmanndude because he rarely wastes time says what the pedal is cranks it and go. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to make a product video but 5 minutes of preamble and I'm lost.

indeedido likes this.
  11. Telejester

Telejester Member

Best: Andy from Reverb

Worst by a huge huge margin: Rob Chapman, makes everything sound like sh1t.

Juneaumike likes this.
  12. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

That Pedal Show guys are soothing to listen to and their demos are, while pretty self indulgent and sometimes downright ponderous, are kinda inspiring. But Josh from JHS is my hands down favorite.

I mean a pedal is a pedal and the demo is going to largely turn on the gear you are using at the time, the settings, and your playing style (to say nothing of the recording gear used) so there's no good way to instantly see how they translate to your rig and style.

But Josh is a wealth of knowledge and I get a lot of useful info from his demos. And they are usually pretty funny.

Glenn Baren and p.j. like this.
  13. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

I like Andy the best, because he covers a lot of ground in a small amount of time and keeps it interesting.

You can expect him to give you the important specs of the pedal, demo it using multiple guitars, run the range of the pedal's capabilities, and even hear some good tunes you may or may not have heard.

Just don't expect him to use a pick.

14. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Pete Thorn
    Andertons
    TP Show

15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Pete Thorn and Don Carr (from Sweetwater).

16. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Andy, Mike, Nick, Brett Kingman, gearmandude. I like them all for different reasons.

ChampReverb likes this.
  17. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

My favorite is Living Room Gear Demos. No talking, a realistic dry tone, and playing not limited to blues noodling.

Mike Hermans is my least favorite because he makes everything sound the same.

Seriously my favorite. I'll take a Megadoble (that's what they call a double cheeseburger here) over any boutique burger any day.

18. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Doing a demo video seems so easy yet fery few get it right, just:

1- mic your amp
    2- shut up
    3- play and run through all the knob settings

Here's a personal list of dealbreakers

1- the "two stupid guys" format
    2- talking, especially too much talking, especially blabbering the product copy that we've all read by now
    3- playing only with a backing track, not isolated
    4- looping something instead of playing. it's annoying.
    5- only play lead / only play chords
    6- spend all demo on one pickup
    7- out of tune

ciclosonico likes this.
  19. GMGM

GMGM Member

Pete Thorn is tops IMO. He starts with the sounds, does some minimal explaining. I especially appreciate the way he incorporates the looper while manipulating the controls. This makes it much easier to not be distracted by the performance. Pete is apparently doing a clinic tour for new PT15 amp. He'll be in my town next week - definitely looking forward to that. I actually got a chance to try the PT15 a couple weeks ago, and it does not disappoint (it better not at that price!).

Andy / Reverb is up there too. I think I preferred when he was using "standard" guitars and amps though. But I don't blame him for playing more types of gear. Heck, he's not only promoting pedals for reverb, but now guitars/amps as well.

That Pedal Show is one of my favorite "shows". I pretty much watch them all. But the long 60+ minute format where they compare 6 different pedals is hard to digest.

Brett K seems likeable as well, however his tone always seems soooo bright. Brittle actually. I have a tough time relating to any of his demos because I know that I could never make that sound work for me.

I can't stand the white coily cable guy and his "clean" amp.

I don't mind Anderton's for entertainment. But Rob's endless metal noodling (no matter what kind of non-metal gear is being demo'd) - has me skipping forward a lot. Practice those scales at home!

Rabea and his 'sounds like' series with the guy whose name I am forgetting is new for me. He's a great player, and seems able to demo gear in a variety of styles. And even when he's just shredding - it's listenable - not just scales.

Glenn Baren likes this.
  20. p.j.

p.j. Member

I like Josh also. He is funny and doesn't take himself too seriously. I have never tried one of his pedals, though.

The Captain likes this.