Who is your favorite pedal demo guy on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Its ironic that he mostly talks about other people's pedals. I have to say, he's made me feel less embarassed to use Boss pedals. In my mind they will always be very 80s. Just very dated.

(I've got one JHS pedal and a Soul Food Meat-3 mod pedal. They seem to work just fine.).

p.j. likes this.
  2. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

The JHS videos on cheap pedals literally make anything he talks about go up in price overnight. It's like, look dude, we know about *all* the pedals already. Don't need you making every youtube n00b suddenly want that cheap Marshall or DOD pedal. Pls stop thnx.

uab9253, p.j. and Juneaumike like this.
  3. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Weird thing to say imo, but ok.

4. p.j.

p.j. Member

I loved my Boss AW-2 and still love my Tera Echo and Line Selector.

5. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Member

6. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Top of the list:

Mike Hermans- Very imaginative player. Bought more than a few pedals after watching him play them. Such economy of motion with his left hand. Makes everything look so easy. I want to be able to play like that when I grow up. Big part of the reason I got the Tensor.

Andy Martin- Another great player who makes excellent choices in regards to songs used for demo purposes. His demo of the Hologram Dream Sequence blew my mind, and made me need to own one, lest my life be forever incomplete. He also sold me on the Tensor.

These guys have explored the pedals already and are showing me cool, innovative, and MUSICAL ways in which the pedals can be utilized. Much better imo than watching someone sit down with the pedal for the first time and start twisting knobs. “What does this one do?” I can do that well enough on my own, and it’s not necessarily going to hold my interest or give me the info I need to decide if I want the pedal or not.

Honorable mentions for various respective reasons-

Knobs, GMD, Ugly Casanova, Simon the Magpie, Just Nick, Pete Thorn, Burgs and most of the demoers who post here. Tri pedal Reviews, bunch of pedals, hippie boy (not a demoer per se, but has posted vids I’ve watched and found useful), Collector Emitter. Big Props to Doctor Who, also.

Also enjoy Dennis Kayser, although he kind of has perhaps too distinct a style to appeal to a broader demographic, and doesn’t stray very far from it.

I like Stefan from Pedal Zone a lot, too, very creative, but he “gestures” way too much, I feel like I’m watching an infomercial.

Don’t like guys who have clickbaity titles or make dramatic faces (WOW, OMG!) or follow some YouTube algorhithmic formula. A few have already been mentioned here as favorites. These guys, along with Stefan above, make me feel like they’re trying to sell me something, which yes, they are usually. But I don’t need to be hit over the head with it.

Just rubs the wrong way.

I thought Fuzz Box Girl was cool, too, back when she did her thing.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    uab9253 and hippieboy like this.
  7. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

I love a bunch of them.

The Captain likes this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

You guys realise that demos are not what That Pedal Show are about, right?

Juneaumike and metrokosmiko like this.
  9. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Except for the TPG Pick'n'Mix which is kinda like a showcase of new stuff - also, they might not be about demos but the parts where they play certain pedals are sometimes more helpful than a ton of demos out there.

10. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

Like I said..plus animals at the end!

11. prodrigu

prodrigu Supporting Member

Mike Hermans... no talking, no BS, just some great playing with captions if you are interested to learn more about the pedal and some very tasty playing (although I don't like when he plays covers of hit songs). Basically the guy is trying to showcase the pedal and not himself.

I really like Bill Ruppert too. Just enough talking no not annoy, great playing and video production.

hippieboy likes this.
  12. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Pete Thorn and Ola Englund

Glenn Baren likes this.
  13. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Chiiilllll itttt wuuggggg?

Glenn Baren and NorCal_Val like this.
  14. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I’d be a fan of anyone that doesn’t work for a store/company or gets free pedals. I want honest reviews and not an “overview” of a pedal. I also appreciate when they can tell me what amp they are running the pedal into. Also, mic a cabinet properly! Do not record audio from a cellphone or room mic! Stop shredding or just playing chords the whole video. Play a healthy combination!

Does anyone like this exist on YouTube?

uab9253 likes this.
  15. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Andy and Pete. Two different styles, both great.

16. LPVM

LPVM Member

R.J. Ronquillo
    The dude is a monster player.

LordThurisaz and Glenn Baren like this.
  17. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

For me, the true test is this: who is responsible for you buying the greatest number of pedals? Double their votes if you weren't even contemplating said pedal until you watched the YouTube.

For me: Brett Kingman (the bastard).

18. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

My favorite of all time would have to be Howard Gee’s demos and dive-downs for Catalinbread. Second favorite is Andy Martin, followed by Just Nick.

19. The Captain

The Captain Member

This guy caught my attention recently....

TrueFifth likes this.
  20. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I hit all of those points but I'm new, small and still learning. I did an MXR Chorus pedal review recently and at the end I said I didn't love it and maybe wished that I'd bought a Boss instead. That video got removed from the Everything Guitar FB group for "bashing" - it's funny how everyone says they want honesty but flip out when they get it.

Robot B9 likes this.