Who is your favorite pedal demo guy on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Sadly. there are fan boys of products to contend with. I'm a fan boy of certain products, but I don't get upset if a pedal I like gets bashed by someone else. Everyone's ears and rigs are different.

hippieboy and uab9253 like this.
  2. Kluch

Kluch Member

Every one of his videos is relatively long, with a good deal of ranting... that said sometimes I will sit through most of it just to hear his take on things because despite his general ramblings he does put each pedal he tests through it's paces

3. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Honesty comes at a high price these days. Everyone wants to be a censor.

PedalCrazyFool and uab9253 like this.
  4. fuchs

fuchs Member

Jesse Davey is responsible for me buying pedals.

ChampReverb likes this.
  5. uab9253

uab9253 Member

All I said was that it was a little understated for me and wondered if I'd like a Boss more. It may have been about that group not liking people sharing their own videos as much as anything. I get that here - someone can ask about something I've reviewed, and there'll be pages of links to demos of other YT channels, but if I linked my own review of that product, truly trying to be helpful, it's a guarantee someone here will scream SPAM and/or report it to the mods. I don't even make money off my channel. It's the weirdest thing, so I've learned to just not do it, no matter how helpful I think my video may be to someone.

Robot B9 likes this.
  6. weedzzz

weedzzz Member

Andy Martin.

I like that he plays music that is really relevant to the product, that’s not to say any pedal or guitar can’t be used to anything, but he has a very good grasp on the demographic that the item might most likely suit. I’m sure Rob Chapman is a nice guy but are many people watching something like a Rickenbacker or Jazzmaster review to see how it works as a shred guitar?

I like Mick and Dan from TPS too. It’s a bit long winded at times and i can sometimes zone out of their long videos but that’s probably more to do with me than them, but they’re very informative in all things pedal related, so i appreciate what they do.

There’s another two guys that are pretty good but i can’t remember their channel name off the top of my head, its a pretty long name. Two Australian guys.

radioboyeric and sonic1974 like this.
  7. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Pete Thorn and Mike Hermans. Andy has cost me a lot of money too.

radioboyeric likes this.
  8. Maggot

Maggot Member

Most of the time I can't tolerate much talking in demos. I like Pedals and Effects, and even That Pedal Show, but seldom watch them.

My all time favorite demos are the animated Basic Audio Fuzz demos. There's no one player on all of these, often it's @splatt or @wrightdude but not always. Cool guitar pieces set to offbeat footage by @basicaudio.

Among people who do a wide variety of pedals I prefer demos by people who have a similar right hand attack to me. Andy Martin, Mike Hermans, etc. do excellent demos, but their right hand attack is too dissimilar to mine. To me, their demos always sound like them, which is great if you play like them. Lately, I like JayLeonardJ because his right hand is more aggressive, like mine, although he's far speedier and more skilled. I also like JustNick for when I'm ready to hear some long form stuff with some talking.

9. mojo_pin

mojo_pin Member

big fan of Mike Hermans and Andy

monty likes this.
  10. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

Andy Martin was pretty much the first one I found regularly. He, in a way, got me into pedals. I also discovered very quickly that it isn’t as simple as I thought to dial in a sound. I quickly bought a Catalinbread Echorec solely based from his review and ability to get Pink Floyd. I quickly realized that pedal had a learning curve for pretty much a first pedal.

Mike Hermans definitely sold me on a couple pedals as well. I love his approach to doing a demo. No talking, just words on a screen while he plays. He really shines with modulation effects and the cleaner side of things.

I have no complaints about Brett Kingman or Schobel although I haven’t watched too many reviews of theirs. Knobs does great with weird effects.

There’s also another guy I cannot remember what his name is but he does some good reviews too. His camera angle is usually pointed focused at the headstock with him in the background.

11. ajoep

ajoep Member

Shawn Tubbs (great demos and a wonderful player)
    Young Mark Lattieri when he was doing pedal demos for J.Rockett Audio (i bought the Blue Note back then because of him)
    And of course Pete Thorn

radioboyeric and Glenn Baren like this.
  12. a person

a person Member

Howard Gee

p.j. likes this.
  13. LockerRoomTalk

LockerRoomTalk Member

Pete Thorn is unmatched in the YouTube demo space. He does exactly what you should do with a new pedal; he writes a new song. This shows the possibilities of the pedal off better than any knob twisting demo could ever do.

Demo review turn-offs: sloppy, unimaginative blues noodling, lots of talking in thick accents, and anything to do with the praise and worship crowd.

CJReaper likes this.
  14. wilsonov7

wilsonov7 Member

I like RJ Ronquillo's channel because when he demonstrates a pedal, he almost always has some really good backing tracks so I can hear whatever pedal he is playing through in the context of a full band mix. He also plays some really oddball guitars that I like.

15. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

Pete Thorn is a nice guy but I find his reviews irrelevant. How many out there are running a custom built amp, custom built guitar into a home studio mixing board? He makes everything sound good.

16. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Pete Thorn, Shawn Tubbs, Greg V.

17. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

18. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

The eyes of Joe Gore will track you down!

-bEn r.

p.j. likes this.
  19. monty

monty Member

Oh yeah, forgot about Andy. That guy could sell me on a tuner for a kazoo!

mojo_pin likes this.
  20. PB+J

PB+J Member

I find most of them pretty useless. They talk way too much, most of them, so the ratio of gab to information is poor. They tend to be very polished players bearing out the old cliche that a good guitarist can make anything sound good. So I find almost all for them irritating and not very useful, unless you are the kind of person who is persuaded by "he sound good, so I will sound like that!! But it's been fascinating to watch how "pedal demo guy" has emerged not just as a paying job, but as a kind of as a low level celebrity thing. Bravo to the pedal guys for carving out a space in the guitar-tainment industry