Who is your favorite pedal demo guy on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. d10221

d10221 Member

2. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Pete Thorn, then Brett Kingman, then maybe Andy or Mike Hermans.

Glenn Baren likes this.
  3. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

BK has a fairly similar ear for tone as myself, if not in playing style. I can usually know that if I listen to his stuff he'll be aiming for the same kind of sounds that I would be, which is a help. Andy is probably still making the most useful demos for pedals in context though.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  4. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

My favorite is Mike Hermans. However, he's such a good player that he makes pretty much everything sound fantastic. He could demo a Danelectro Pastrami and make it sound like the greatest pedal ever. How he puts together songs with different parts to highlight different aspects of the pedal is really amazing.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

Same characters that most have said. Overall, Andy. He runs through a variety of tones, song types, uses, etc. which is really helpful. It's not a random demo, it's well thought out.

That Pedal Show for its in depth coverage. I like how they will review a pedal type; fuzz, delay, etc. Sometimes they can run a bit long, but the info is good.

I like the Anderton's videos for the various shoot outs, rigs on a budget, etc. to see how things compare and work in a set up.

Ola to see if it chugs and also for the burps.

I like that Scottish guy Collin for various info. He doesn't usually do specific pedal demos, but he has good info.

There are so many terrible demos too. Like the guys that strum a chord twice, then change a setting, or record with an iPhone.

6. Kluch

Kluch Member

have to agree. A ton of great youtube demo-ers out there. Love Pete Thorns stuff, Brett Kingmans are always great. Knobs for that really alternative, "out-there" type demo. Andy's are always good but he tends to showcase just a few sounds. Overall Mike Hermans are generally the most in-depth b/c it's all playing and no talking.

edit: That pedal show is cool if you have a good hour to spend geeking out, but there's way too much talking IMO and generally 10 mins in I just move onto something else.

hippieboy likes this.
  7. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

Johan Sageborn, Paul Gilbert, and Steve Vai hisself :aok

VHS analog likes this.
  8. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

I like Aaron Sternke. His tone, amps and playing is more my style. Has a good mix of rhythm and tasty leads.

I’m not a pentatonic, blues noodler. This makes it hard for me to watch any of the main guys listed here.

I’ve purchased pedals based on the lead guys overwhelming endorsement just to find out it didn’t work for me. It’s crazy how many guys will do a 10 minute review and never strum a cord.

9. McGTR

McGTR Member

Andy Martin at Reverb and the guys at That Pedal Show are my go to's. Lot's of other dudes do it well also from time to time..

10. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I like watching Pete Thorn, That Pedal Show and Andy Martin. Awesome players and very knowledgeable. Josh from JHS also makes some great videos, as does Brian Wampler.

There are also some underrated channels, including:

JayLeonardJ-Amazing player. He's why I own a Quilter Interblock 45.

Shnobel-I always like his pedal shootouts. He's a good player.

Sgtpepper89 likes this.
  11. Joshua Russell

Joshua Russell Member

R.J. Ronquillo is one of my favorites if I'm in the mood for someone who uses different amps and guitars for a lot of his gear reviews instead of the normal DRRI, Marshall, Les Paul, Strat, ETC setup

12. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

I like the Australian lefty guy. InTheBlues

13. Pedalboardoftheday

Pedalboardoftheday Member

Andy
    ThePedalZone
    Living Room Gear Demos
    ThatPedalShow

ChampReverb likes this.
  14. mikebat

mikebat Member

There are a bunch of good ones. I like Thorn’s approach if a track, them isolated guitars, followed by using a looped guitar and twiddling the knobs.

Also, please...always refer back to your tone often without the demo pedal engaged.

15. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

Ok, I'm going say it...Henning Pauly...let the flames begin!

16. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

How did he disparage their playing? I don't see why he should get attacked for not liking Knobs. His criticisms were polite, legitimate and not disparaging. I actually found your reply about pentatonic noodling to be more disparaging than his.

As a pedal demo, I don't particularly like Knobs either. I don't find the demos useful in understanding how the pedal will work in practice or what it will sound like in the music I play.

I enjoy listening to the demos very much and hearing what he can do with a pedal. I enjoy the shoegazy stuff. I'll often put on Knobs demos while I work and listen to them as pleasant gear related background noise. But, as far as a demo that makes me decide whether or not to buy a pedal, I don't USUALLY find the Knobs stuff useful in that regard. If anything, it perhaps supplements the other more traditional demos.

17. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Burgs just feels like i know him. He is a really talented man.

Squatch57 likes this.
  18. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

Sean Gibson (one of our own), Johan Segeborn, Classic Andy (none of this post-classic dotcom Andy). Also not guitar related, but an AMAZING YT music gear channel is run by Alex Ball. He re-creates classic 80's John Carpenter soundtracks with vintage synths and stuff. Also Sam Vilo, while not a great demoist, he is a very entertaining player who has a YT channel.

Kurt L likes this.
  19. billboneys

billboneys Supporting Member

I like your picks. Gotta mention Andy. I think I'd switch Brett and Pete although for me they are so close maybe they tie. Living Room Demos and Joe on Reverb.

20. johnetone

johnetone Member

Collector // Emitter
    Delay Dude
    PSQRCL
    Pedal Nerd
    Dustin Mclaughlin
    Zachary Rizer
    Just Nick
    AndyDemos
    SpiralCaster
    ajwithjetpacks