Who just saw Van Halen at the LA Forum? I DID!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 67blackcherry, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Yup - last night of rehearsals, "friends and family" show - maybe a few thousand people there, and the band KICKED ASS.

Set list
    You Really Got Me
    Running with the Devil
    She's the Woman (new tune)
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Tattoo (new tune)
    Everybody Wants Some
    Beautiful Girls
    Ice Cream Man
    Chinatown
    Dance the Night Away
    Hot For Teacher
    Blood and Fire (new tune)
    Eruption
    Panama
    Jump

Kool and the Gang was great - Van Halen was awesome (not quite as good as the Fair Warning / Diver Down / 1984 tours I saw but still....) and Wolfie did a fine job. It's late - I'm beat - I'll finish this tomorrow and give y'all a full rundown.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy photo - I really wish I had done the early upgrade to an iPhone......

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Was a great show! I had a blast. Here's a good one:

[​IMG]

3. Redmaz

Redmaz Supporting Member

Nice. I'm jealous. I guess I'll just go back to cranking up the new CD, which I've been doing non-stop since Tuesday.

4. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Member

I was there too! I video taped the whole thing. Uploading YRGM right now.

5. JPF

JPF Member

It sounds and looks as though EVH has successfully gotten back up on the horse - no mean feat in itself. I'm going to pony up and buy the new album.

6. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Good call. I agree. The record is good. You won't regret it. Some smoking playing on it. Eddie is back.

7. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

No Fair Warning songs or am I misremembering what songs are on there?
    It's hard to believe it's been 30 or 31 years since I saw them.

8. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

9. cram

cram Member

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I'm gonna assume that is not the entire song list. They should just stop with YRGM, ICM (replace with Stay Frosty) and Jump already. Let's hear some Drop Dead Legs, DOA, Take your Wiskey Home, Loss of Control!

11. shg

shg Senior Member

Same old same old. He's been doing that solo for quarter of a century.

That said... he hasn't played it that well in a long time. That's the cleanest Ed's played in ages.

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I got to say as much as I hate hearing them play YRGM I've never heard them do it better. The band just sounds great and tight as hell. No need for Michael Anthony's backups here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5lz_hanEI

13. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Nothing off Fair Warning, Women and Children First, and Diver Down.....bummer.

The band seemed to be really focusing on staying in the groove; tempos were (I thought) slow at first but then it was just....."ok, got it, you guys are just laying down a groove".....Alex sounded great, he was right in the pocket all night - Wolfie's playing was great, Dave sounded fine....he missed a few notes but that's par for the course for him, he never was Freddie Mercury or anyone like that. Very entertaining, he had a huge smile on his face all night too.

Ed's playing......Pete, help me out here....would you say he's playing a just a bit bluesier these days? He's not really doing any of the wide intervalic stretches and weird chromatic end of the world "I'm Eddie Van Halen and I rewrote the book" type of stuff like the solo on "Girl Gone Bad" yet he still has that awesome sense of melody. His tone - big and thick, he used the wah sparingly all night - it sounded great. Was Eruption on par with the 14+ minute solo on the Largo MD Diver Down dvd? IMO, no. Was it substandard like it has been in recent years? Absolutely not. He looked good, he's put on some weight, he didn't blow a fag all night long (maybe he quit?) there was chemistry between Dave and himself - he looked like he was having an absolute blast up there, big smile all night long.

Kool and the Gang - very risky but a great choice. Celebrate (Good Times), Jungle Boogie, Ladies Night, Get Down On It, etc etc....I'm 48, the audience was for the most part my age - some older, some younger - and everyone was digging it. There was a lot of energy, folks were dancing and having a good time, they were singing along..... the band did just fine.

Buy the cd and see the show, you won't be disappointed.

14. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

15. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Member

16. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Everybody Wants Some was on Women And Children First. Hopefully they'll switch up the set from night to night. Too many damn good songs to just play the same set for the whole tour.
    Thanks for the review!

17. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

Sorry, but Dave's "dancing" and creepy smile are very disturbing

18. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Member

My short review. I saw them once with DLR (Diver Down Tour) and pretty much every tour with Sammy. I was worried because Eddie always seemed to play better when he was drinking. (He sucked the tour he was "sober"..so) I've also seen DLR at a HOB here in Anaheim a few years back and I knew he still could deliver. I was a little bummed MA wasn't back, but knew that wasn't in the cards with him still friends with Sammy.

Although that was a short set list (I certainly hope people that pay for tickets get a longer show) they were great. I didn't miss MA's background vocals, Wolfie and Eddie filled in fine. But god, Eddie was great! I went with 3 Non-Halen fans (two sisters and wife) and my sister kept looking over at me amazed with Eddies playing and even my wife asked for some VH for her iPod last night. DLR sounded good too, and the staging was good. No real bad spots outside of being behind the stage, and the video screen is well used.

Glad I have a ticket for San Diego too!

19. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Seriously, give DLR a mic stand or something! They sounded great (esp. Eddie) but watching Dave has me cringing.

20. will132

will132 Member

Was thinking the same thing while watching it,