Who knows about the Fender Tremolux?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kgmessier, Mar 16, 2006.

1. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

I've been reading Dave Hunter's "Guitar Rigs" book -- very interesting and informative -- and listening to the accompanying CD with various rig examples. One of the tracks features a Tele (?) into a cranked tweed (?) Fender Tremolux. I know nothing about this amp other than what I heard on that track, but I can tell you the sound was to die for.

What can y'all tell me about this gem?

- Keith

2. Greg

Greg Member

I have one - it's a '58 or '59 with a replaced OT. I don't know much about electronics, but I understand that the first version of the Tremolux (5E9) was a tweed Deluxe with a tremolo, but the subsequent versions (5G9 and 5G9A, which is what I have) are different. Something about the phase inverter and tremolo. I do know that it sounds great with all the guitars I've ever played through, though!:AOK

Let me know if you have specific questions.

3. kanderson

kanderson Member

I used to own a 65' Blackface Tremolux head. It's basically a Deluxe with a tremelo. I think they quit making them around 66'. I didn't have the piggy back cab that went with it, I used it with an old Fender 2x12 (big oversized heavy cab) and the sound was so smooth! Man I could kick myself for selling that head years ago. Anyway, it didn't have reverb, but the tremelo more than made up for it. It's 35 watts so it's plenty loud enough to cut through a band or play a small club. If you get a chance to try one or buy one, definately do it... great amps!

4. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Greg is right. There are a number of different versions of it. The very first tweeds were actually almost the same as the Deluxe 5E3 with a PI bias-vary tremolo. That's the 5E9. I just ordered a 5E9-A clone which is the same circuit but featuring a 5U4 rectifier instead of the 5Y3 that comes with the Deluxe 5E3. Never played any Tremolux yet. Still one month to get my amp.... Take a look at the Fender Amp Field Guide (or something like that...)

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Nice amp. Bought one in '72 and sold it to my brother in '76. I'm not sure what version is was - '55-60 tweed model.

6. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Man, from all the positive responses on this amp it seems to be something of a sleeper.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The few lucky souls I know who have these (the later tweed version) rave about the tone. One guy in particular claims that the bigger box gives a distinct sound. Sure wish I had the bucks to find out for myself.

9. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

I believe that's the later blackface circuits, right? Early tweed Tremolux use a pair of 6V6 just like Deluxe 5E3. Also like the Deluxe is the four input, normal and bright volume and a master tone.

This BF Tremolux also make me wonder a bit....

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Yes, those links are the BF versions. I should have read the earlier posts and realized you were talking about the tweed versions. All the tremolux models are rare, though, and all of them great amps.

11. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have had two. The tweed version, which was pretty cool. The early 60s blonde head/cabinet was my favorite.

12. myles111

myles111 Member

No.

The Deluxe is a 6V6 based amp and this amp is 6L6 based but about 30 watts or so. There was a short lived EL84 version but it was around for a very short time.

I am talking about the blackface head version here by the way.

The blonde ones:

Year:
    1961-1963
    Model:
    Tremolux
    Model No:
    6G9, 6G9-A, 6G9-B
    Config:
    Piggy-back
    Control Panel:
    Brown forward facing w/ white labels, controls numbered 1 - 10
    Front Conrol Layout:
    Bright: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass - Normal: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass - Speed, Intensity - Pilot Lamp
    Rear Conrol Layout:
    Ground Sw, Fuse (2A), Power Sw, Standby Sw, Speaker Jack, Ex. Speaker Jack, Tremolo Jack
    Knobs:
    White round, unnumbered
    Head:
    8" x 23" x 8 3/8" (20.3 x 58.4 x 21.3 cm)
    Head Hardware:
    Brown plastic "Fender" or black strap (63) handle, 4½" chassis straps, corner protectors, cab hooks
    Cabinet:
    17½" x 27" x 11½" (44.5 x 68.6 x 29.2 cm)
    Cab Hardware:
    Brown Plastic "Fender" or black strap (63) handle, 14" tilt-back legs, corner protectors, knurled studs, glides
    Head/Cab Covering:
    White Tolex
    Head/Cab Grille:
    Maroon (61-62) or wheat (62-63) grille cloth
    Logo:
    Grille mounted, flat, chrome & black, script "Fender" (head and cab)
    Weight:
    Head & Cab: 61 lbs. (27.7 Kg)
    Weight:
    ?
    Speakers/Load:
    6G9, 6G9-A: ported "tone ring", 1 x 10"/8 ohms
    6G9-B: sealed, 2 x 10/4 ohms (8 ohms each in parallel)
    Speaker Model:
    Jensen P10Q or Oxford 10K5
    Effects:
    Tremolo
    Output:
    30-35 Watts
    Preamp:
    Bright: 7025
    Normal: 7025
    Power:
    6G9: 2 x 6BQ5
    6G9-A, 6G9-B: 2 x 6L6GC
    Bias:
    Fixed Bias, nonadjustable
    Rectifier:
    GZ34
    Phase Inverter:
    12AX7 (long-tailed)
    Other:
    Tremolo: 12AX7 (bias vary)
    Comments:
    Some early Tremolux cabs were fitted with a 1 x 12" baffle

The Black face ones:

Year:
    1963-1966
    Model:
    Tremolux
    Circuit:
    AA763
    Config:
    Piggy-back
    Control Panel:
    Black forward facing w/ white labels, unnumbered
    Front Conrol Layout:
    Normal: In, In, Bright Sw, Vol, Treb, Bass - Vibrato: In, In, Bright Sw, Vol, Treb, Bass, Speed, Intensity - Pilot Lamp
    Rear Conrol Layout:
    AC Outlet, Ground Sw, Fuse (2A), Power Sw, Standby Sw, Speaker Jack, Ex. Speaker Jack, Vibrato Jack
    Knobs:
    Black skirted w/ chrome center, numbered 1 - 10
    Head:
    8" x 23" x 8½" (20.3 x 58.4 x 21.6 cm)
    Head Hardware:
    Black strap handle, 4½" chassis straps, corner protectors, cab hooks
    Cabinet:
    17½" x 28" x 11½" (44.5 x 71.1 x 29.2 cm)
    Cab Hardware:
    Black strap handle, 14" tilt-back legs, corner protectors, knurled studs, glides
    Head/Cab Covering:
    White (63-64) or black (64-66) Tolex
    Head/Cab Grille:
    Gold (63-64) or silver (64-66) sparkle grille cloth
    Logo:
    Grille mounted, flat (63) or raised, chrome & black, script "Fender" (head and cab)
    Weight:
    Head & cab: 63 lbs. (28.6 Kg)
    Speakers/Load:
    Sealed, 2 x 10"/4 ohms (8 ohms each in parallel)
    Speaker Model:
    Oxford 10K5 or CTS 10" ceramic
    Effects:
    Tremolo
    Output:
    35 Watts
    Preamp:
    Bright: 7025
    Normal: 7025
    Power:
    2 x 6L6GC
    Bias:
    Fixed Bias, adjustment pot
    Rectifier:
    GZ34
    Phase Inverter:
    12AT7 (long-tailed)
    Other:
    Tremolo: 12AX7 (photoresistor)
    Comments:
    The Tremolux was discontinued in 1966.

13. dudleys100

dudleys100 Member

I have a 1962 Tremolux head. It has a very similar sound to my vibro king but slightly smaller sounding. I have been using it through a Marshall 4-12 cab so it definitly has not been used in the normal situations especially since it is a 16 ohm cab. But either way, this amp sounds wonderful. I have had two 67 blackface Bassman heads, a super reverb, vibrolux, Devilles, and many other boogies and marshalls and while this one has its own sound, I would say it is one of my favorites. My vibrolux custom reverb was similar but this is quieter and fuller sounding. It is kind of like a bassman but breaks up earlier and has more of a smooth overdrive when pushed in comparison.

Not a ton of clean headroom, but definitly enough for most purposes.

I am currently re-tolexing it and redoing the grill cloth as some bonehead had replaced the tolex with grey and PAINTED the original wheat grill cloth black!!! Sad I know. I put in some JJ 6L6's and it sings.

14. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

Time to dig that '64 Tremolux out from behind the row of main gigging amps and put it through its paces. It's been a while and this thread"s made me curious.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

The Victoria Trem de la Trem is the 5E9-A circuit.
    Victoria puts a 15" in a Pro sized cab but will do a 12" like the original 5E9-A if you request one.

16. shakeyjakey

shakeyjakey Member

I have a 59 Deluxe and 59 Tremolux

VERY different amps..I had a friends original 59 Bassman here for a few weeks and I liken my 5g9 Tremolux to a 'baby' Bassman.

Combined with an original Jenson P12Q it is a wonderful amp, beautiful tweed cleans.
    Much tighter sounding than the Deluxe.

I usually stick my White Falcon through it but last night I tried my Firebird.
    WOW.. Bird was tuned to open F...that baby was singing like a summer bird.

Pretty rare I understand.

17. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

So everything I have read claims the blackface Tremolux uses 6l6 tubes. Even few shops across the country that I had called said they all had 6l6's.

I just recently picked one up and the tube chart reads :

Deluxe-Amp AA763
    L- GZ34
    6v6
    6v6
    12at7
    12ax7
    R-7025

Why does mine have 6v6's? Any one else ever see a 6v6's tremolux? If my tube chart was actually just a typo, will having a 6v6's in there hurt the amp? The original owner just bought a new set of Tung-Sol gv's and threw them in..no re-bias. Is the amp safe?

Also, the Trem doesn't work. It did, briefly, at an incredibly low volume. Now I can't hear it at all. Easy fix?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  18. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I have a tweed one, from '56 or '57. I had a tech work on it about 15 years ago, recap etc.. He said he couldn't find a scematic that matched it so he did the best he could. Apparently it's one of the transition models we always hear about. Soundwise it's like a Deluxe but tighter and not quite as much gain, also a bit louder. I attribute the volume difference to th bigger box, same size as a Pro, and the fixed bias instead of cathode bias. The tremolo sounds great but it thumps, the tech couldn't stop that. This amp came with a Mojo Tone 12" but I didn't like it. I tried an alnico Tone Tubby with it last night and that's what I'm going to go with for a while at least. TT's are awesome! I think it would also sound great with a neo Jensen. I have one of those in a tweed Deluxe and it's very nice, loud and light.

19. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

Date the amp with the two letter code on the tube chart. There is a site to help do that; I don't remember what the URL is. I have a BF Tremolux head and cab and the code dates it at Dec. 1964. I never heard of a BF mid-sixties Tremolux that didn't take 6L6's. Instead of taking a chance with 6V6's and not biasing it I would strongly suggest you take it to a qualified tech.

20. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

NI- September '64, Production: "5". Has anyone seen a "transitional" Tremolux that takes 6v6's? Or perhaps my tube chart is a typo? Shouldn't my tube chart read "Tremolux AA763"? Instead it reads "Deluxe-Amp AB763"

My Blonde Bassman was apparently from the Same year...NB. February of '64 seemed to still be a time of the Blonde..