Who knows about vintage Marshall 8x10 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Feb 14, 2008.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I'm taking possesion of one tomorrow--a '73 in execellent condition with original 7442s and wiring harness. It looks like none of the solder joints have ever been touched. This one is 29" wide, but I see one on eBay with a small box 50 watt head and they are the same width, 26". What differences were there between these cabs in their various incarnations? Anybody know? I realize they're kind of rare and not as well known as 4x12s, but hopefully some of you are familiar with them. If so how do you like them compared to the various vintage 4x12S?

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have a pair of Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10" cabs but haven't even heard the 8 X 10" cabs. I know Robin Trower used to use them and Phil Brown still does. Other greats have as well but I can't remember who. They have a reputation for sounding sensational. There is one up for sale here on the San Francisco Craig's List, going for $995.00. I think there were two sizes and some were made for guitar some for bass and some for organ but I am a little foggy on the details. I have also seen two different speakers used. The older versions used the old Celestions that have the three screws on the back of the magnet. I'd be very curious to hear what you think of them.

3. Roe

Roe Member

these are nice cabs. the 7442s are good for breakup - sounds more like a g12m than a g12h

4. telewacker

This is Kimmock's old cab. The story is he downsized vehicles and thus had to downsize cabs. I'm getting it from a luthier who does his work who I use myself and have become good friends with. I also have two 4x10s, 1965 a, and b, as well as two mid seventies 4x12s, a+b, one with the original blackbacks and one with '71 "pre Rolas". The best tone I have ever heard is Phil Brown through Lee Jackson amps and an 8x10, which I believe is the larger cab like this one. I have three Lee Jackson amps, an XLS100, an Ampeg VL1002, and a VL503. These days I'm liking the VL 1002 with KT88s through the Blackback loaded straight 4x12 the best, but I have a feeling that may change when I get this cab.

5. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

has/had one he was selling for $1,000. Hope this helps.

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I don't have all the model numbers in front of me, but there are at least 5 versions of those style cabinets. The skinny one is actually an Organ labeled cabinet, great sounding, 8x10, pretty rare. The larger sized cabinet came with three different versions of 10's, 10 watt, 12 watt, and 15 watt. The 10 watt versions are pretty fragile and blow speakers a lot, but the 12 and 15 watts usually will stand up to a 50 watt head pretty well. They sound great, and a are good compliment to have around. There is also a 4x12 version which is the best sounding 4x12 I think Marshall even made.

7. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have been using a pair Webers in one of my 4 X 10" cabs, in a detuned configuration. One is a Blue Pup Ceramic and the other is a Silver Ten Ceramic. No one would ever believe there are just two speakers in it and it sounds fantastic. My other cab has all original Celestion G10L-35s but I made a custom baffle with a port that is 9" tall and 15" wide with round ends and it sounds great too.

9. telewacker

Interesting. My understanding is that the 7442s are 15w speakers? (I have the frame and date codes for the vintage 12" speakers, but not the tens. If anyone knows where to locate them I'd be much obliged if you could share the information). I use 100 watt heads, but always with Lee Jackson's "attenuator" circuit on. It's more like power scaling in that it works by reducing the voltages to the power amp and these amps really do sound great at any volume. I use a 4x12 all the time and I never get volume complaints. It's great because from room to room or with different bands I sometimes need to be either pretty quiet or pretty damn loud and I can always get my sound. Sometimes if I know it's going to be a quieter gig I'll bring a 4x10 but they don't have the balance and richness of the old Marshall 1960s with vintage greenbacks, although they still sound pretty damn good with the Lee Jackson heads. If I can fit that 8x10 in my back seat I'll bring it to gigs....the slant 4x12 fits in the trunk with about a millimeter to spare. I might have to get a little trailer! :D

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

The codes are 7442 and 7442W. No doubt about it. They are rubber inked on the frame spokes.

11. telewacker

Well I got the 8x10 and it's pretty much mint, with the original cover too. I haven't pulled the back yet but the guy I bought from is a good friend and he says the original wiring harness is intact and there are no unbroken solder joints. The speakers are 7442s with the three screws on the magnets. The problem is I don't really like the sound. It's extremly bright and thin sounding, too compressed and not at all efficient. There are no issues with any of the driver's integrity...no buzzes or voice coil rubbing, etc. Compared to my 4x12s it's not even close. I'm dissapointed but at least it's so damn clean I should be able to get more than I paid for it. Oh well...:confused:

12. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Member

In the mid '70s, I was in a band with a guy that had an 8-10 Marshall, not sure of model or year, but looked old then. Used an also older 50w Marshall head with a LP deluxe. He got such a sweet, singing sustaining tone that I was never able to get with my 100w + 4-12 Marshall. Which component contributed the most to the sound is hard to say, but it was a great combination!

13. telewacker

As I mentioned before Phil Brown uses one and gets tremendous tone. Maybe there's a difference in speakers between this cab and the one you heard and Phil's. I'll spend more time with it today.

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

I would bet that you could dial most of the brightness out and add some thickness with the amp. Compression you probably can't change. You might find that you have to get farther away from a cab that big to get the full effect. Measure the the total resistance to make sure you are matched.

15. ROKY

ROKY Member

I traded a guitar for one probably 13 yrs ago-- I've never gotten around
    to putting speakers in it !! :eek:.:jo.:messedup.:crazy.:NUTS

I've heard they can be excessively bright; maybe that's why I've sort
    of dragged my feet on putting speakers in mine all these years

That and the fact that it would fairly unwieldy to throw in the backseat
    for gigs. There were less speaker choices at the time and I don't
    think eBay existed, yet [to try and find period correct speakers].

NOW.. we have :

Weber,Eminence,Scumbacks,& even Celestion has a decent 10"er .

I really should just do it this year and load the damn thing ..

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

I can't speak for the Marshall 8X10, but I am totally in love with the sounds
    I'm getting through my '73 Ampeg SVT 8X10 cab with the Hot Cat 100R.

The deep chambered SVT cab design along with the original CTS AlNiCo's adds such a wonderful whomp to the sound at nearly any volume while still delivering plenty of sparkle and chime.

17. telewacker

Not even close to the same animal.

18. telewacker

OK, after spending some more time with the cab I'm getting it to sound pretty good with the XLS head. It is a bit darker than the VL and less aggressive. Also it has Sylvania 6CA7 "Fatboy" power tubes that are warmer and woodier than the big bold crisp KT88s in the Ampeg. This cab definitely breaks up sooner and is less efficient. I needed to cut back on the gain in the OD channel and roll back the highs as well as tailor the mids...these amps have a 5 way mid selector switch with a lot of variation. My feeling is these may either be a lower wattage speaker or they may be a little tired? Hard to imagine judging by the pristine exterior, but maybe it was well used but well cared for. It does have the original cover. It's hard to tell without comparing it to another 8x10 cab. I'll still use the 4x12 for gigs but I'll keep this cab for recording and practicing. It definitely has it's own thing.

19. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Back in 89', my drummers dad was holding one for a drug dealer for whatever reason. It was prolly stolen! We had it for a while, and my deadbeat bass player used it for his rig. It was good for that. :D I was jammin' a Randall RG120 at the time. :D

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

From your description of the Marshall, there's no way it could get the depth of tone of the SVT 8X10.

I'm pretty sure that's because the SVT cab is 16" deep and the drivers can easily handle my Hot Cat 100R dimed as well as an SVT head.

I'm sure the CTS AlNiCo drivers also make a difference in the tonal response.
    This cab sings with a great amp like the Hot Cat 100.

It's true the tone is more compressed, compared to my semi-open back Vintone 2X12, but the tone it gets is also much easier on the ears.

Sorry to hear your new cab didn't meet your expectations.