1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who knows anything about Taylor's?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Stormin, May 14, 2006.

1. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Hey all,

I'm not a frequent acoustic player, but I have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get any Taylor I want at an unbelievable price (someone's calling in a favor for me).

I was looking into either an 714ce or an 814ce, but I'm not real sure of the differences the woods make for the tone. I'm pretty sure I want a Grand Auditorium size with electronics, but it's not cast in stone.

Any recommendations or other help you can offer?

Thanks,

Stormin!

2. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I used to have a 814ce, but with brazilian rosewood and englemann top. The main difference between the 700 and 800 series, aside from cosmetic, is the cedar top on the 700 and sitka spruce top on the 800. You should probably try to play both and see what you like. However, that being said, I think it's probably fair to say the if your primarily a flatpicker, you'd probably be better off with the spruce topped 800, since a lot of cedar top guitars don't handle hard strumming as well. If you're a fingerstyle player either will work fine, but the cedar top might be a little richer sounding. Also, cedar topped guitars (not as strong/stiff a wood as spruce) usually require light gauge strings, so once again take that into consideration.

Check out James Goodall's site for his personal view and description for topwoods. http://www.goodallguitars.com/woods.htm

While you're there, check out his guitars too! I traded my Taylor for another electric after getting my Goodall.

3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Goodall website as a tonewood reference. Sizewise, there are a few things I've found:

Larger bodies are generally more percussive, and usually have excellent bass & treble response. However, this usually comes at the cost of losing some midrange definition & warmth. They definately project more volume, which make them great for strumming and flatpicking. Subtleties in fingerpicking can be lost on them, though as bigger guitars usually aren't as responsive as smaller guitars.

Smaller bodies tend to be better for fingerpicking & intimate playing. They also tend to have richer mids, and a much, much warmer feel. They're generally more responsive to dynamics and softer touches. However, they won't have the massive bottom end of a jumbo or "oomph" of a larger bodies guitar. They're also a lot easier to play - I know quite a few people that play smaller bodied guitars because they simply can't get their arms around a jumbo.

If you're playing at home in a small room and you prefer to fingerpick rather than strum, you probably find a smaller bodied guitar more to your liking. However, if you're playing at a church or a coffee house, you just might want that added "oomph" that a jumbo can provide. FWIW, I have an older 712CE with a cedar top, which is a smaller Grand Concert sized Taylor. For what I use it for (Keaggy & Hedges type of stuff), it's absolutely perfect.

That said, I think the single most important thing you can do is try to think about the types of music you'll be playing on it. Then pick the size and woods that are best suited for that style. Good luck!

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

One of the "cosmetic" issues I've found I don't like about 6xx and 8xx guitars is the bound fretboard. Not a huge issue, but I can feel the difference, and prefer unbound fretboards. Not an issue with the 714. Personal thing, I hate the ES electronics. It gives way too much of the "neck" tone of the guitar, and tends to make it sound like an electric guitar. If you can, and if you have to get the electronics from Taylor, go with the Baggs stuff. From the Taylor factory, the Baggs stuff is best sounding IMO. I recently got to hear/play a KK sound pure western system, and I gotta say, it's only a matter of time before all my guitars have one. It sounded outstanding. Round, clear, still not perfectly acoustic, but if ya gotta plug it in...
    If you're calling in a local favor on a stock guitar, don't sweat it. I'd go for the 714 if I wanted to play it, the 814 if I were just gonna look at it, no electronics if I could help it.

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

What kind of music and style and application?
    Also do you prefer a deeper sound or a brighter sound?

6. Den

Den Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely get out and get my hands on some different Taylors. There's a lot to choose from with different tones and looks. During my acoustic shopping last year, I liked the Doyle Dykes models, 714ce, some of the new dreads and there's a new body style out now that's supposed to be the cat's #$#%#%! They also offer some short-scale models that are cool. Lot's of choices.

You may want to spend some time at the Taylor guitar forum as well ... lots of great info there.

In the end (without a special Taylor discount opportunity), I fell in love with a Goodall Concert Jumbo in rosewood and spruce. If I were looking at a Taylor, I'd guess I'd favor that wood combination.

Congrats and good luck.

7. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

8. Den

Den Member

Agreed ... the ES system left me cold in the Taylors I tried. I installed a Bags iMix in my Goodall and couldn't be happier with my plugged in sound.

9. royd

royd Member

I think any of the 14 series is a reasonable choice. Personally, I like cedar tops but from some companies they do have less headroom than spruce.

I like the ES system which is essentially a mag and some top mounted transducers. I use a Sunrise (mag) and a McIntyre (top mount) in my Lowden and think I get a huge sound from my guitar. FWIW, I prefer a magnetic pickup to an under the saddle every time and when you add a top mounted traqnducer I think you get the best amplified acoustic sound you can get.

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Depends entirely upon you're playing style really. No use recommending a 615C to someone who plays fingerstyle...

If given that option, I'd have to ask does it apply to the RTaylor line as well. If so, that is definitely where'd I'd start looking, without a doubt.

Peace,

jb

11. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

I agree. I have a Taylor and I probably wouldn't buy another one but I got the opportunity to play one of the RTaylor's and It could easily find it's way home to my house.