who knows the Weber Thames? (ceramic)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Boogs, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Boogs

Boogs Member

Ok, I have my Carvin X100b sounding so damn good through my Emi Wizards that am now ready to play around again with the Classic 30. It's doing it's thing, and is extremely versatile, freeing up the the little beastie for a more specific sound.

I am 93.761293% sure I want a Weber ceramic Blue Dog in the little beastie, as I got to try one in there recently (thanks Snakum!), and it frankly kicked ass. However, I am a little curious about other Webers, especially the Thames.

So, who knows this speaker? What manner of "chimey" do we have here? Complex high end? Is it gritty or defined? What about the low end? I know, so many questions, so few prizes! ;)

I did the search thing, of course, and found out that a couple of people like the Thames, but couldn't find a description per se. Thanks in advance guys! :BEER

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

3. 62sg

62sg Member

Hello..Boogs
    The 'Thames' is a great speaker...British bright & ballsy. Highs may be a bit much for some...but I found them to be rather smooth, not piercing. The lows are not as deep as the 'Bluedog'....but are well defined. I also found this speaker to be very reminicent of many 'WHO' tones...{won't get fooled}, and 'Rush' {fly by night}and sounds very good in a 2x12 closed back cab.
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

4. Boogs

Boogs Member

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds pretty good - would you, or anyone else, describe this as a "defined" speaker, or is more about high impact? (...if you know what I mean) I am really tempted to get this for the sake of experimentation, even though I know how damn good the Blue Dog will be in the amp, but I want to make sure it will be good for crisp cleans. Raucous overdrive would be bonus points material.

Thanks again,
    David

5. 62sg

62sg Member

David...you would definitely get the crispy cleans & overdrive, as the Thames by nature is a more aggressive speaker. When comparing it , say, to the Bluedog, it is not as 'defined', at least not in my opinion. BlueDogs are an incredible speaker.
    Thanks..
    John

6. Boogs

Boogs Member

Thanks again, much appreciated. Decision time!

peace,
    David

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

Whispering . . .

{{{{{{{{ 50 watt ceramic Blue Dog, light/medium dope}}}}}}}}}

:D

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

Doh!

Yep, that speaker smokes (I actually tried the 30 watter). Just gotta be sure, though. ;)

You what really sucks? The 12F150 clip on their site is smokin' as well! :dude

9. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

Just make sure you give the Thames time to break in. I got one to replace an EVM12L in a combo amp. It sounded horrible, no lows, no punch or sparkle. Sold it right away. Later I found out that these speakers need a period of time to break in before they sound good. As far as I know anyway . Perhaps others have had better initial experiences with this one. It is definately a different speaker than an EVM 12L to say the least. Probably my bad. Live and learn.

Steve

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

From what people say on the Weber boards, the Thames is Weber's take on a Fane speaker, so the Who and Rush tone comparo is probably pretty accurate if you'retalking their Hiwatt sounds.

11. Boogs

Boogs Member

Thanks guys!

jazzgitter - too bad about the break in scenario, hope you got most of your money back.

CitizenCain - thanks for the tip, I'll troll the Weber boards and see if I can find anything more there.

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

I do like the Weber Blue Dog, very much. But are you thinking of going with one in an X100? That's gonna put a lot of stress on a single speaker of that power handling.

I'd suggest you take a good look at an Eminence Tonker. That would be a great match for a 1x12 X100.

13. Boogs

Boogs Member

Oops, sorry...guess I wasn't clear enough - I'm not thinking of changing the X100b rig, but the Classic 30.

The X100b is going through Emi Wizards (2x12), and I am *not* changing that anytime soon. It's just amazing for cleans, and overdrive is chunky and powerful. It is a powerful amp though, so I appreciate your advice - but the Wizards should be good at 150rms/300peak.

anyway...

I have played a Blue Dog in the Classic, and it was wonderful - ultra defined and 3D. I was just wondering about the Thames, since it's not referred to very much. I have a matching cab for it, and will use two of the same speakers, if I can find something that's perfect (and not the Wizard, though they also sound damn fine in the Classic). I *might* go with all Cannabis Rex's as well, as I have one and like it a lot.

peace,
    David

14. el34power

el34power Member

Hmmm i have a 50 watt ceramic blue, med dope. and from what i read on the thames it should sound nothing like the dog! I find the dog to be darkish/gravelly, "chewy" even. The thames sounds "cuncussionish":confused:

15. hasserl

hasserl Member

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I was just a bit concerned about you spending the bucks on the BD only to have it fail on you from overpowering it.

Good luck with what you settle on for the Classic 30.