1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who Likes Red Hot Nasty.....

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wreck1, Aug 1, 2006.

1. wreck1

wreck1 Member

ok so the title wasnt the best. anyways i just got a used digi 001 set up with a g4 mac. pro tools. what else would anybody reccomend me getting to use as far as the actual recording process goes. i already have a marshall 4x12 cab, "00 Komet 60, bogner uber, prs guitar, fender p bass as well as music man bass, mapex kit that ive done a lot to, great cymbals with the set. so far i have an akg evolution 2000 mic, and a art tube pre which cmae free with the deal. the main thing im worried about are bass and drums. im thinking of sennheiser md 421 u5, i heard its great for the kick and bass. and getting the senn drum mic kit. what are some good overheads in the 200-300 range, also im looking for a piece to get a good bass sound, i hearg GT brick is great, is there anything else? would the 421 be good for micing the kick?
    any reccomendations on anything regarding this set up would be great!

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

How's about 5-10 years of recording experience... <g>

Seriously:

Accurate monitoring.

Pair of SDC mics.

Handful of 57s.

Dedicated kick drum mic.

Pair of complementary LDCs.

Two channels of high quality mic pre.

A good comp/limiter.

Small Mackie or equivalent mixer w/some pres for other things.

This will allow you to make recordings that are very nice.

Get the best you can afford, and you'll be just fine...

Loudboy

3. wreck1

wreck1 Member

i was looking for more specifics, i have 5 years recording expereince, im just getting back into it and not sure of whats new or hot thats out now.
    what does everybody think about using 421 to mic a kick???

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

This stuff has been done to death - search over at Gearslutz for the best mics in your price range.

I like 421s, but I think there's better choices for kick. My personal fave is the AT ATM-25, which also works well on bass guitar.

Loudboy

5. Nick from WMC

Nick from WMC Member

The Sennheiser MD421 is great on toms, and sometimes on guitar cabs. As for the kick, an AKG D-112 will give you a lot of punch, or an Electrovoice RE-20 will give you a lot of boom. Different tools for different jobs. Loudboy is kind of right about the recording experiance, how you place the mics are just as important as which mics you are using.