Who loves Ampeg VT-40s, V-2s, VT-22, V-4 amps??

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
Yep, I got the V-4 Rigs when I was a young stupid teenager, I wised up in my 20s and got a Marshall - so much better tone ;)

goodtone

Ampeg user here. Lovely amps with a very cool & unique sound. Either you like em or not and I like em!!!! Always wanted to try two Ampeg reverb rockets in stereo ..... I have a Gemini ll & a VT-40 4x10 combo with new Jensens. I like your idea of incorporating the two celestions . Might have to try that ! I've dealt with Dennis at Central Jersey Music Service in Edison N.J. and yes he knows his Ampegs . Dennis knows his business. You can reach Dennis at 732-572-1911 . Enjoy that Ampeg ! I love VT-40 amps and I'll never let mine go . Congratulations to you sir .

Dr.Tom

V4's,V2's, Gemini's:there the best:

Regards,

Tom
Amps:
1965 Pro Reverb;1966 Vibrolux Reverb ; two 1968 Super Reverbs ; two 1968 Vibrolux Reverbs ;1968 Princeton Reverb ; 1968 Deluxe Reverb ; 1968 Bandmaster Reverb ; two 1969 Bandmaster Reverbs ; Hiwatt DR-103 Custom 100 ; Vox AC15 2x10 ; Vox AC15TBX ; Marshall DSL 401;Mesa Boogie Mark IV ; 1964 & 1965 Ampeg Gemini 1's ; 1970s Ampeg V4 ; two 1970s Ampeg V2s; Early'70s Ampeg SVT ;Ampeg SVT4PRO ; Vox AC30CC1 ; 1965 Gibson Falcon ; Fuchs ODS 50 Head & 1x12combo; Fuchs 100W TDS Head ;Avatar 2x12-Celestion Blues ; Avatar 2x12-Celestion Golds ; Reeves Stage/Studio MarkII;Reeves 2x12 Cabinet ; VHT Pitbull 45

steadygarcia

I just got the V-4 that I bought from Bob Stirner on the emporium. Brought it home last night, plugged it into my 4x12 cabinet this morning, and I'm still trying to pry my jaw off the floor. It's the most gorgeous chimey-est, ballsiest sound I've ever heard. I can't believe it. Simply outrageous. You can understand why the Stones were so into these amps in the late 60's and 70's. It actually really sounds Exile-era Stones, but with way more balls and presence than comes across on the recordings, although I'm not entirely sure they recorded with Ampegs, I do know they toured with them. Huuuuuge cleans, but it roars when you hit the guitar hard. It even has reverb, I didn't realize these heads had reverb. It's circa '75, so it's a pre-master volume model, which I am happy about. Also probably the heaviest head I have ever lifted by far; it's gotta weigh around 75 or 80 lbs? I also own a B-25B and a Gemini I, but the V-4 is amazing. I love Ampegs, I really do.

soulohio

i did my bi-monthly search for ampeg threads and this came up....hehe i got dewey's old VT40...this amp is like a drug, the caviar of ampdom....i try and play it sporadically cause it makes me wanna sell all my other amps (Two Oranges, a Crate V16, SF Champ and I just acquired an Airline with dual channels and power sections!)...anyhoo....this amp puts me in Queens of the Stoneage and Stones heaven..... it is just too goood....

but maybe there is a Marshall Superlead out there with me name on it....

oh and do use those vintage Celestion 10's! they are the tone hammer!

FFTT

Buying my '64 R12R was the worst decision I ever made.
Plugged it in and it immediately took me into the Keefer Zone.

The original low efficiency CTS drivers cut the amp's power in half
of it's full potential, making it just terrible for anything but studio use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neLZPUcirSY

I mean the sound is just so broken up and distorted, who would ever want an amp like this?

Last edited:

rouss

Alright im ready. I want my first ampeg anybody know where I can get a low priced one that may need some cosmetic work etc

Tony Foran

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a really clean 72 V-4 and I'm having the tech return it to stock. The last guy had a bias pot installed and lowered the voltage a bit and installed 6l6s.

I'm going back to high voltage and 7027s. What I'll do with it then, I don't have a clue. :nuts

TheClave

Still own two full V4 stacks. Ampeg made a plug in master volume for these amps. Goes into the extention amp jack in the back. The instuctions said to put the volume knob on 10 and use the jack. This is how I used them for over 30 years. I believe it is a 20k pot. Later I will open one again and measure it and get back.

rouss

Can any body think of a good speaker to put in a smaller ampeg (jet,gemini) , To give it a more VT40 tone

mtm105

Any love here for the TriAxe series??

It's the closest I own to a vintage Amp. VT-60. The gain channel really sucks, IMO, the middle is OK, but the clean is SUPER Fenderish.

I pulled out the Celestion and Replaced with WGS ET-65. The bigger the Cabs I add to it, the better it sounds.

I only paid $199 for it at GC. I'm guessing someone had bought it, returned it, they might had fixed something and were desperate to get rid of it. 2 power EL34 and 5 pre-amp tubes for that price isn't a bad deal.

I sense it has been toured rather hard. But it's also seemingly fragile in components. So it's best left sitting because I fear the more I touch it, something's gonna give.

Lullabies

Got a '76 Ampeg VT-22 .. amazing amp. It is the clean I have always been looking for and LOUD only issue is it is heavy as hell at 88 pounds. So travelling with it is a pain which is why I am currently looking for a smaller vintage Ampeg to travel with but still has that Ampeg sound.

Also crank a VT-22 and throw on a fuzz and you will bring a building down!

EDIT- I just saw an Ampeg Gemini GV15 for 150 bucks ! but they sold it quick

Last edited:

AL30

My VT40 is a thing of beauty. What tool fits the weird bolts it's put together with?
You can usually pick up a cheap screwdriver/bit set for a few bucks that have these (or something close) in them. I've got a few sets that I grabbed for $5 or so.

Finding a bit that works is much easier than finding the screws. John Deere sells clutch head screws and they were also used on old cars/tractors so maybe a swap meet/flea market will have them.

AL

Trending Topics