Who loves the Empress Tremolo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Play by Tone, May 16, 2006.

1. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I do, I do I do.

Put it in Tube mode and just strum along. Awesome throb, almost sounds like a rotating speaker. Mr. Bragg did an excellent job with this one. Never thought I'd have this much fun with a Tremolo!

2. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I too am in total love with the tube setting on my Empress tremolo. It's just beautiful with a clean or barely breaking up tone.

3. abuloso

abuloso Member

Can't wait for mine. Ordered mine on the last day of presale prices. Love all the clips especially "rhythm in 5". Nice and warm sounding.

4. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

where can i find information about this pedal?

5. maestro_nl

maestro_nl Member

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, anybody know what's up with the Empress site?

7. abuloso

abuloso Member

Its been down since last week i think. Apparently emails to his address keep bouncing back too. Hope everything's ok.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Jeez, that's not a good sign at all - Could we have another booteek pedal company w/a shorter lifespan than WayHuge?

Bummer.. every single one of my amps (OK - not the bass amp!) has trem, but I was gonna get one of these anyway, in support of the Kanuk brotherhood of pedal-makers.. I've been into Diamond lately- absolutely world-class stuff..

9. drolling

drolling Member

Did you order yours direct? I'd be worried:worried

10. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

Man, I hope that's not the case... I can't see why he would be having trouble, apparently these have been doing well.

I got #23 near the end of May. :AOK

11. abuloso

abuloso Member

Yep... but now the its gone up to CAN$250, Still a good price. Or you could get the Cusack. Great pedal too, I'm gonna A/B both of them tomorrow in a live band mix and throughout the weekend.

12. abuloso

abuloso Member

BTW, I think I've still got his email so whoever who wants to get one can PM me and hopefully can get through to him.

Or maybe he's just getting way too many orders that he's just taking a short break.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I don't know what's going on with the website. I talked to Steve, via email just the other day - must have been right before it went down.
    I ordered a trem a couple weeks ago and got mine last week.
    Absolutely love it, great sound and features. This trem rocks!!

14. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

Apologies for spreading this across two threads, but does anyone have any thoughts on how this compares to the Cusack Tap-A-Whirl?

Cheers!

15. kp8

kp8 Member

I lost my empress "manual" .... anyone have thiers scanned in? I forget how to use the tap tempo and set the rate and do the rate switching. I've been using it straight up and want to explore more that this can do, but for the life of me i can't find that photocopied sheet that he sends with the pedal.

16. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Seriously, do a search. There's TONS of info on this :)

17. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

Um, that's what I did... I didn't find out enough information on what I was specifically looking for, so I revived some old threads.

18. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I've been using the Empress trem for a few months, and I'm mostly pleased with it. Sonically, its up there with most really good tremolos, but doesn't seem to have the depth of a good tube amp tremolo. Still, very good tone/effect and being able to boost the volume to compensate for the "off" cycle helps a lot.

The optional rythm patterns seemed like a great idea, but I spent a lot of time experiementing with them, but still don't use them. Although they haven't worked out for me, people doing more agressive tremolo effects may really enjoy this feature.

The tap tempo function works great for more "straight" tremolos, but I wish it had a setting that would work for 3/4 time. One of the country bands I play with does some waltzes, and I have to set the tempo manually.

There is a two speed mode, which allows you to preset a fast and slow speed. When you hit the tempo switch, the Empress will gradually change between the two speeds. Its a wonderful effect BUT to use this mode you have to disable the tap tempo switch. Major bummer for me. Personally, I would gladly trade the multi-rhythm settings for the ability to have tap tempo and the 2 speed feature.

The unit does not work with a battery, nor does it ship with a power supply. I don't mind that it doesn't work with a battery, but I feel for the price, they should include a high quality power supply. If you have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power supply it will work fine.

One concern is that all 4 knobs are mounted on plastic shafts, which extend very high off the pedal. I see no reason to use plastic shafts on a pedal that is subject to bumps from my clumsy feet, and think it was a very bad design choice. I can't imagine that the cost of a metal shaft pot would be much more, and would be far more durable. I may try to trim the top of the plastic shafts down, and finding shallower knobs. I'm sure I'll break one of these suckers sooner or later.

Overall, I am pleased with my Empress tremolo. It works well, sounds great, and aside from the plastic pots, I think its a great pedal. I would probably recommend trying the Cusak first, however, if durability is a concern.

BTW, the web site is back up and running again.
    http://www.empresseffects.com/tremolo.php

my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation,
    Dave

19. TYY

TYY Member

I love my empress. It sounds great (almost as good as my old fenders) and is very versatile. I agree about the flimsy pots (why are they so damn tall?), but I chose it over the Cusack because it has a standard manual mode if you want it (no holding and waiting to adjust speed), the waveforms are perfect for my tastes, and the two speed mode is cool. The rhythms are useless to me, but so are all of the funky waveforms on the cusack, so that was a wash.