• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Who Loves the Les Paul Standard Faded?

plumcrazyfx

I just got another one of these before the used market is the only option. These are great guitars and I'm convinced the only reason Gibson stopped making them is the profit margin wasn't big enough (just my opinion, not really worth much). Just compare what these go for compared to the closest thing Gibson still makes and these are a super bargain (AA burst top, 50s fat neck, Burstbucker Pros). The other one I have is a mod guitar from CV Guitars (PG mod) and this has quickly become my go to guitar. I know some will poo-poo it because it doesn't have a long neck tennon, weight relieved etc. Blah, Blah, I used to think that too which is why I got a 58 Historic VOS a few years back. There definately is better fit and finish on the Historic but the tone is the main thing here and the Faded sound great- especially when they're going for 1/2 of what a Historic goes for. I know some don't care for the satin finish, I was weary at first too but I really think it contributes to the great tone. What do ya'll thnk?

Marshall Man

I have one I bought three years ago before they chambered them; I love it! I liked it better than the 68 RI LP I just got rid of. I don't play it much as I'm on a PRS kick as of late.

mary04

I have one and I`m never gonna sell it. I didn`t know Gibson stopped making them. When did that happen?

hawkeye17

I love my 2006 model with the 50's neck. I may have to sell it soon to help pay off a Suhr Standard I'm ordering :/

jtg116

Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time
I have one, it's the value in LP's. My buddies all love it too!

shark_bite

I kind of wish I had one. I have said here many times that I think just about everything made by Gibson these days is crap, but this is quite possibly the one model where the price fits the guitar and the guitar kicks some serious ass. This and the ES-339... liked that one too. The rest I could live without though.

Wasn't there a company who did some aftermarket work on these that was blowing them out? I swear I saw something about that once but when I searched here I couldn't find it again.

yakyak

Silver Supporting Member
I had a CV Peter Green modded one that I stupidly sold to a fellow TGP'er........

whitehall

Never much cared for them. Most of the tops were truly heinous. Every now and then you see a good one. And the porous neck is an acquired taste. I have seen some that were buffed out that were great looking. I think if they had limited the color choice to 2 instead of 3 and put more attention in to the better tops they might still be around.

TikiJoe

My '07 Standard Faded is my go to guitar. It has the CV Peter Green mod also. I'm not in love with the Peter green mod and am thinking about flipping the magnets back to normal.

The guitar has a nice top but doesn't compare with any Historic LP. It is however a player and has a great tone. I buffed the finish with Meguiar's Scratch X and it really looks fine. People often ask me how old the guitar is and are suprised when I tell them it's almost new. The satin finish makes it look old.

I agree these Standard Fadeds are the best value in Gibson guitars. I'm really wanting a 335 however so I may someday let it go ... but not until I have a guitar in hand with equal tone.

rabbuhl

Never much cared for them. Most of the tops were truly heinous. Every now and then you see a good one. And the porous neck is an acquired taste. I have seen some that were buffed out that were great looking. I think if they had limited the color choice to 2 instead of 3 and put more attention in to the better tops they might still be around.
I bought my faded because it was such a great deal for a Les Paul Standard and the BB pros are good pickups. I liked the top but the finish was so thin I did not think it would wear well in the long haul. I sold it to buy an R8 or something similar.

RickC

Nothing wrong with that top!

To my eye, tops on the fadeds generally look more like "real" burst tops than tops on Historics do.

/rick

Marshall Man

My '07 Standard Faded is my go to guitar. It has the CV Peter Green mod also. I'm not in love with the Peter green mod and am thinking about flipping the magnets back to normal.

The guitar has a nice top but doesn't compare with any Historic LP. It is however a player and has a great tone. I buffed the finish with Meguiar's Scratch X and it really looks fine. People often ask me how old the guitar is and are suprised when I tell them it's almost new. The satin finish makes it look old.

I agree these Standard Fadeds are the best value in Gibson guitars. I'm really wanting a 335 however so I may someday let it go ... but not until I have a guitar in hand with equal tone.
I disagree about the Historic not comparing, I have had two Historics and still have one of them (G0) which is a fabulous guitar. I think my LP STD Faded plays just as well, but it does weigh a lot more!

philraumi

This is my '05 Standard Faded. Better acoustic tone than some Historics and Standards I comparded it to. More open, very fast attack, punchy, pronounced mids, twangy, etc... I think I'm in Les Paul Heaven :drool

Has some file marks at the bottom of the frets and the fingerboard. Not very beatiful to look at those. However playability is great!

I maybe change the stock pickups or electronics sometimes, but for now it's all good!

chaos

My 2005 w/ 60s neck is my #1 gig guitar. It does share some time with a PRS Custom 24 and a Reissue '72 Tele Deluxe.

Big B

Don't know what I was thinking this past month but I almost let mine go. Took it to band practice yesterday and fell in love again. Came home and pulled my add off of the emporium and craig's list. Whew, that was close! I wish it was a little lighter (8 3/4 pounds) but for this tone and sustain, I'll live...

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
I just got another one of these before the used market is the only option. These are great guitars and I'm convinced the only reason Gibson stopped making them is the profit margin wasn't big enough (just my opinion, not really worth much). Just compare what these go for compared to the closest thing Gibson still makes and these are a super bargain (AA burst top, 50s fat neck, Burstbucker Pros). The other one I have is a mod guitar from CV Guitars (PG mod) and this has quickly become my go to guitar. I know some will poo-poo it because it doesn't have a long neck tennon, weight relieved etc. Blah, Blah, I used to think that too which is why I got a 58 Historic VOS a few years back. There definately is better fit and finish on the Historic but the tone is the main thing here and the Faded sound great- especially when they're going for 1/2 of what a Historic goes for. I know some don't care for the satin finish, I was weary at first too but I really think it contributes to the great tone. What do ya'll thnk?
How would you compare the tone of the R8 vs the Standard Faded?

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I agree with you about the tops. Most of the ones I have seen were awful looking, very fake. Then again, some of the tops were gorgeous. Go figure. I would buy one of the nicer topped ones if a deal came my way.
I would probably have the guitar disassembled and buffed out to make it a bit shinier.

Steve73

I bought a LP Faded on my last LP hunt, nice guitars. At the same time though as I bought the LP Faded, a local store owner let me trial a used Warren Haynes sig LP (dressed up R8). Well, the Faded went back and I bought the WH LP. No contest. Even though, it was twice the price, the WH LP was 4x the guitar.

For the money though, the Faded's are great guitars.

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a LP Faded on my last LP hunt, nice guitars. At the same time though as I bought the LP Faded, a local store owner let me trial a used Warren Haynes sig LP (dressed up R8). Well, the Faded went back and I bought the WH LP. No contest. Even though, it was twice the price, the WH LP was 4x the guitar.

For the money though, the Faded's are great guitars.
But you ended up selling the Warren Haynes Les Paul too?

Trending Topics