Who made the Roland synth guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LithiumLulu, Nov 18, 2005.

1. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Guest

I just had a chance to play an old Roland G303 guitar synth controller. It played great (as a regular guitar) but there's no sign of who actually made it. It looks and plays a lot like a Gibson. I can take some pictures to post if that will help.

2. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Is it like the one Metheny plays? Greco/ Ibanez made these guitar. It is similar to a Ibanez Musician-series from the same period.

3. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Guest

Yes, it is! Here are some pics of him playing one, but this one doesn't have the trem bar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is there a site where I can put in the serial number to learn more about the guitar?

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

What about those cool 80s synth guitars with the strut that connected the body to the headstock above the neck - anyone remember them?

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

[​IMG]

yeah, the gr-707 were pretty funny looking .. never got to play one though ... weirdest looking one i ever got to play was the stepp guitar .. i am pretty sure it had wired frets ... it was a mess to play though with its rectangular body and gazillion little switch/buttons

remember when metheny had a guitar like the brown one shown above except it had a little box sticking out from the bottom that had the user controls .. VERY funky looking

[​IMG]

anyone remember when al dimeola had a synth controller driving a synclavier built into a PRS? .. was very cool

i am loving my brian moore for synth access and all around playability ... the godins are quite nice too

t4d

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Got one. Sounds OK, plays fairly well as a guitar, but the body shape provides no forearm support or sitdown support. The strut is surprisingly non-intrusive.

The synth functions suffer from mediocre tracking and latency. I just keep it on the wall for occasional experiments.

7. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Guest

Hey, don't go stealing my thread to talk about that silly "Space Axe".

Here's what I've found out: the guitar I was asking about was built in a factory in Japan that also made Ibanez and Fender guitars. So while not strictly an Ibanez it bears an incredible resemblence. It sure is a sweet playing guitar, even if it doesn't have single coils. :D

8. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Guest

Wow, thanks for the info. It sure is a nice guitar, I hope it stays around here for a while.

9. einstein

einstein Member

that was shawn lanes fav guitar of all time stock pups and all period .
    it was destroyed by a jealous girl who couldnt compete with it. true story