• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who makes a good 3 to 4 channel amp?

jimw427

Gold Supporting Member
Looking into a good 3 or 4 channel amp that has a good range of drive possibilities. Looking to run one clean or pretty clean, what at break-up, on for a good classic rock crunch, and on for either more heavy gain or leads. Something maybe like the Boogie Mark V or Marshall JVM I think, I know the Egnator has a roadmaster with 4 channel but not really heard much about them. Trying to get all of my drive needs out of a amp with preset channels. Any suggestions..... Jim

tele_jas

My favorite is the Mesa Roadster or Road King (v2). Fender cleans, tweed or British crunch and two recto channels. I usually dialed one of the recto channels for classic rock and the other full out recto brutality.

I know the Egnator has a roadmaster with 4 channel but not really heard much about them. Trying to get all of my drive needs out of a amp with preset channels. Any suggestions..... Jim
It's actually called the Tourmaster. Had one. Sold it. 'Nuff said.

beckerman

My favorite is the Mesa Roadster or Road King (v2). Fender cleans, tweed or British crunch and two recto channels. I usually dialed one of the recto channels for classic rock and the other full out recto brutality.

This is almost how I use my Road King.

Channel 1 - 6L6's, Tweed setting, clean'ish'
Channel 2 - EL34's, Brit setting, cranked
Channel 3 - 6L6's, Raw setting, low gain
Channel 4 - EL34's, Vintage setting, around JCM800 gains levels

cardinal

Check out a VH4 if you can. It can do all of that very well, but it'll always have it's fairly unique voice, so definitely good to test drive before spending all that cash.

My only real gripe with the amp is that I wish I could replace channel 4 with a duplicate of channel one or two. Between those channels, you get great punchy cleans, awesome fat and dynamic edge of breakup, and nice crunchy high gain stuff. I set up channel one for edge of breakup and roll back the volume knob to get it clean, but it'd be cool to just have a second channel one to set up for clean from the start.

LSchefman

There are several really excellent ones on the market. For me (YMMV) the Mesa Mark V is a winner.

But the caveat is that we all have different tastes, play different rigs and styles, and in the end, all anyone can suggest is gear for you to audition personally.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Bogner XTC
Carol-Ann Triptik
Glaswerks SODII
Diezel Herbert or VH4

justinfranx

I own a Mesa road king series 1 2x12 combo ( currently for sale in the imporium but only because I want the head version) I absolutely love it!! You can get a great clean sound, channel 2 is like a Marshall, channel 3 and 4 are American recto sound but have different voices and can also be tamed. 4 channels, 3 modes in each channel. You can select between series or parallel effects loop, 6l6, el34 or both and cabinet switching for each channel.

I know this sounds kind of overwhelming but I don't necessarily need all of these features at once, I play around and find the tones I like. When I get tired of that I just play with the settings again and it's like having a new amp. This comes in handy for a guy that has owned nearly every high gain amp out there because this amp can cover ANY tone you need!!

Trending Topics