Who makes a good 5E3 without breaking the bank?

Zuper

Silver Supporting Member
Jim at Lil Dawg is great and his amps are very reasonably priced. I have one of his early D-lux builds and it has been rock solid.

drmatty

Check out the Cox amps if you can find one. Mercury magnetically transformers, great components and used for about a grand. Kind of hard to find though.

FFking

Im a bit of a ceriatone fan boy. They have a tweed deluxe and a dumblized version called the tweedle that are very affordable. Top notch craftsmanship and customer service.

Can save a few bucks by ordering from ceriatone USA if you are in the states or order from Nik at ceriatone Malaysia.

Can get a kit, full working head cab, or 112 combo without speaker and anything in between.

Head cab is under $800.

http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_67&product_id=61

Broomz

There's a fender reissue handwired on eBay for $1400. Don't know if that breaks the bank but I have one and love it.

GrungeMan

I don't get that. Why don't they just post a price? I would understand different pricing for ordering in quantity but it seems like the one off price should be known.
Too many variables that the customer has to chose from; what speaker, tranny's, cab covering...all changes the price hence no price until customer has chosen. Good kits I might add. Marsh amps is another kit or assembled amp business.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
If I was looking I'd just keep checking emporium and eBay for a brand name (lil dawg to tungsten to Victoria) that is used that you can afford. Do not get a weber because components are not as good a resale will not be very good. The others I mentioned can always be sold for what you bought them for used. And don't buy Sligo either. Poor wiring I seen more than once.

Darl

Do you guys consider $950 US a good sell price for a new, well built high quality 5E3 clone? Plug and play ready? Solid knotless pine finger joint cab. 12" WGS or Weber speaker. Classictone transformers. Modern JJ tubes. F&T caps.
That's not bad. 850 I think is a very nice price for such an amp. It's been my experience that it's tough to find cheaper for a new build. Of course if a privately built amp gets traded around a few times with each guy knocking a little off his purchase price to move a nice no-name amp, yeah you can find them for 600 bucks.But to buy a new one from the builder, it's hard to find them for below 800, I looked for a while.

Darkness

Have a Li'l Dawg D-Lux with MM
Trannies and NOS glass. I'll happily put it up against the other builders out there. It will more than hold it's own. Such a fantastic amp. Jim is an excellent person too.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
Look used. I sometimes see sub $500 kit builds that people would put together, hate the 5E3 thing, and move it on. I got my Carl's custom 5E3 in a somewhat unattractive black tolex and oxblood Mojotone cabinet for $425 postpaid this June. What an amazing little amp! It's made me a little tweed fender crazy. I bought a 59 Bassman LTD chassis and housed it in a head cab. That and an efficient 2x12 has become my gig rig, leaving my Mesa Mark I + 4x10 at home. Makes me want another one, like a Super or a Champ or Harvard or such.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
MuchXS over on the Tele forum does an amazing job. Great price and you won't find a better built amp. Do a search on him.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Unfortunately Frenzel's "FM-5E3DP" shares only a very vague resemblance to a 5E3.
A difference that can only be appreciated by plugging into and cranking one up, with a build quality surpassing almost all and a price that everybody on TGP can afford.

bobotwt

Peter Mather of Nashville? I think I've been to his shop. Nice guy, nice stuff.
I think Peter moved to Virginia. It stinks as he did great work and I didn't have to worry about shipping amps and cabs.

Josh

swiveltung

I think over $900 is getting too high, but not surprised. I bought an early clone... I think it was a early Swart..? years ago off Ebay (new) It was very nicely done and I think it was $600...probably because it was an unknown at that time. It's easy to get $600 in parts building an amp though...
Jointed tweed cab= 200
Chassis and small parts= 100
Speaker=75
trannys=125
tubes=80

westmike

Gold Supporting Member
My Lil Dawg D-Lux can take both 6V6 and 6L6 power tubes. That's pretty handy if you want a little more headroom. I bought the completed chassis and built the headbox to save some cash. Jim is great to do business with and his prices are very competitive. I love that amp. The build process was actually fun because Jim sent lots of progress reports with pics. You should at least check his site before you spend your money.

Trending Topics