Who makes a good 6l6?

WillLane

I have used some Tungsol 6l6 STR a while back in my VK and also suggested them to a chap who I am doing a tube change for. But that is because I do not know any better.

Looking for new production stuff mostly. What about JJ's? Tungsol 6l6G?

The VK is a Fender clean, Marshall dirty voiced circuit. The amp for that chap is a Peavey Prowler, which is very similar from what I can hear and read.

HandOfTheHost

I second the TAD suggestion. I also like JJ's 6L6's. They have a new 5881 that I am curious about but have not heard. Anyone try those yet?

swiveltung

I like the TAD's also. Or the old Winged -C-. Surprisingly, I like the old Sovtek wafer base tubes also!

gldtp99

I buy these, many quads at a time-----I've never had an early failure------ the sound is as good, or better than any other 6L6GC type produced today----- they used to be less than $10 per tube but it looks like that is a thing of the past:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/T-6L6WXT+SOVT

Recently a customer brought me a 50 watt, 1 x 12 combo, Brownface Fender based (w/Reverb) amp I built 6 years ago that he'd taken the orig Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes out and had been running GT Chinese tall blackplate 6L6's----- then he'd replaced the Chinese GT's with a pair of mixed old production 6V6GTA's (not recommended for this amp).
He still had the orig Sovtek 6L6WXT+ so I put them on the tube tester, they tested good---- I checked bias and let him play the amp----- he was very happy with the "upgrade" vs the tubes he had been running----- This "upgrade" being the exact same pair of tubes that I originally installed in the amp when I built it many years ago----- these tubes were still in good operating condition and made the amp sound wonderful.
I have TAD short Blackplates, JJ 5881's, JJ 6L6GC, and many types of matched pairs of ANOS old production 6L6GC's on hand but I thought the customer would be best served by using the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes.
The amp is sounding wonderful----- the same as when I first built it............. gldtp99

Last edited:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
My tech installed a pair of 6L6 TAD tubes in my Pro Reverb. When I got it back, it emphasized a high frequency hum that was truly annoying, and made the midrange sound quacky. Both may be a result of more definition but less warm smear.

So I took them out and sourced one more NOS GE tube from eBay to go with the last one I had here. Matched? Close enough.

My sound is back. The Pro Reverb's strength to my way of playing is its warmth and being able to make the middle position (both pickups on) sound chimey instead of quacky.

TAD may make an impressive tube - no rattle, very clean, internals look overbuilt. But for feel, I gotta stick with the old stuff.

sickboy79

Need to try some TADs one of these days. I'm a HUGE fan of Winged C/SEDs but, alas they are no more. I also liked the Tung Sol a lot too. I mostly use NOS 6L6s these days. JAN Philips 6L6WGBs specifically. My favorite 6L6 style tube for sure.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Them Chinese made TAD's, bought from a reputable dealer are the shizz. I like the short bottle ones

Stites

I gotta back the Sovtek WXT+ tubes. They have done well in my Ultra even with its naturally cold bias. The propaganda reads that they were designed to the same specs as the RCA 6L6GC "Blackplate" tube.

Plus, they have a nice blue glow to them when you work'em.

71strat

www.audiotubes.com

6L6GC Sylvania made

New Old Stock original box. These 1960s tubes will sound great in your Fender amp or home hi-fi! Sylvania labels along with some made for RCA, some OEM labels, some unlabeled. These have been amp tested in addition to testing for plate current and Gm. Probably the best price/performance tube of any NOS 6L6 tube you will find anywhere!

MATCHED PAIRS JUST $99.00!

$49.00 single

In Stock

Trending Topics