Who makes a good -reasonably priced- 5E7 Tweed Bandmaster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by krisharmony, Jan 5, 2008.

1. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

I would really like a 3x10 Bandmaster but the only ones I can find are over $2000 and I'm just not willing to pay that much. I'm thinking under $1500, preferably $1200, preferably $1000.

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

You can occasionally find a used Victoria 35310 on fleaBay for $1200 - $1400. I sold one there a couple of months ago, and another one popped up a couple of days after mine closed.

3. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I bought a used Headstrong tweed bandmaster of ebay a few years ago for 1200. It was a store demo that did not sell so it had hardly been used. Great amp from a builder not particularly known for tweed repros. It compared favorably to my Victoria tweed super.

4. krisharmony

5. jbever

jbever Member

I saw that Marsh Amps offer a 5E7 kit on their website. I have no experience with that builder, but the kit would be doable. FYI

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Why not just save up and wait until a used Victoria pops up? If you get a kit it's not going to be worth anything to anyone. At least if you buy the Victoria at a good price you could play it as long as you would like and then sell it for the same price.

I bought a Victoria Super last summer for $1200, I kept 2 months and then sold it on Ebay for $1470, it's nice when you can do things like this.

7. krisharmony

I may end up doing this eventually.

8. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

:confused:

9. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

you can get a kit for 565 from weber although i wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't have previous experience. but for 415 you can get a champ kit first, learn how to put an amp together, spend the 565 on the super kit, and for under 1000 you get a fun yet addicting experience and 2 amps.

10. Trout

Trout Member

A lot can be said for buying new warranted amps vs used.

Victoria's 5E7 is absolutely beautiful. Richter now has her new high power 310 5E7 out a few hundred less than Vic, and there are a lot of very reputable builders out there that assemble and upgrade kits at great prices.

I would save a while longer and get one of the better ones, but then again, once I let the moths out of my wallet to buy an amp, I never re-sell it. I'll let the kids do that when Im gone and they sell off the estate.

Trout

11. krisharmony

See this is what I'm thinking. I'm graduating from school here in a few months and once I have a full-time job I'm hoping I won't have to sacrifice my current gear for new stuff. But on the otherhand the prospect of having an amp almost for free (buying used and selling later) is nice too.

But I can't seem to find the Richter amps. The website is down and the only one I could find googling is one on ebay for $2500!

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Yes, that EBay listing is the one she has for sale now. As one of the lucky few who owns one of Sara Richter's 5E7 amps, I must say it is a superb investment. I have the head version, but am confident that the combo she's now selling is at least as toneful. I would have spoken up earlier, but the price is out of your asking range.

- Thom

13. rastaman

rastaman Member

Do yourself a favor and check out http://www.sdgvintage.com/sdgvintage/default.asp I'm not sure if he makes what your looking for but Steve is the man when it comes to amps. His amps, knowledge, and customer service are second to none.

14. krisharmony

I was checking those out but he doesn't make a Bandmaster/5E7 unfortunately. I like all the options he offers though.

15. rastaman

rastaman Member

Send him an email, see if he will.

16. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

Keep an eye out and you can probably get a blackface Bandmaster in the $600 range. Then get a 3x10 cab and you have the real thing...

17. krisharmony

That's not the same circuit though is it? Blackface vs Tweed.

18. Trout

Trout Member

Nope,, not even close to the same circuit.

You know, SDG Vintage might be fairly reasonable on a 5E7, I would write him. He does build other similar sized amps not to much over your current budget.
    Or Maybe ask him about building up the working ready to mount chassis, then later on get a cab from Mojo or Better Built Workshops

Piece it together over 6 months or so and spread out the cost. Bargain shop for the speakers, and whatever else you might need.

Not a bad option actually.

Trout

19. cameron

cameron Member

a BF and Tweed bandmaster are not even remotely similar . . .

20. groove_king

groove_king Member

Check out:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TWEED-BANDMA...ryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a 5E7 repro built by a guy here in Australia. It's a simply stunning amp - great tone at all volume levels. The amp in this auction looks pretty much like mine, construction-wise. I know it's a few more beans than you were willing to go, but if you can afford it, you'll have one of the coolest amps for life.