Who makes a good vox ac30 clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jTreu, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jTreu

jTreu Member

Are there any amp builders that make a good solid ac30 or ac15 clone around 1000? Top-boost is not a must, but i would prefer a head over a combo.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Man how many times do we have to tell you VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX VOX:AOK

Look I am yanking your chain, but Vox did just release the new AC30CC lot of people giving it the :AOK and it is in your price range.

3. jTreu

jTreu Member

Yea i was thinking about the CC but it got a few bad reviews on here and i havent gottent to play one yet, but i did get ot play a '66 AC30, all orginal, got to crank, it with a '68 Gibson ES-335 at GC, i tohught id died and gone to heaven, god that tone is orgasmic. Too bad it was $3900:(

4. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Valvetech Hayseed 30 - apparently

5. Richards

Richards Member

I too am looking, but I don't know of any at that price range, repeated names for the "best Vox AC30 clone" on this forum have been,1) Bad Cat Black Cat/ Trem Cat, 2) Divided by 13 ERT 33, 3) Valvetech Hayseed, 4) Bogner Metropolis, 5) 65amps London and many more, has any magazine done a shoot out of boutique amps for best el84 tones , el34 tones, 6L6 tones,??? e.t.c. I am still looking for my vox clone as well, I do own one but want another to gig live with... and I am sure all the amps listed above and others not mentioned are all good amps. Must find a store in the U.s.A that has a good selection of boutiques to go and try out!!!(hopefully in new york they do) In Canada eh, we don't have such places as of yet, (that carry a wide variety of boutique amp lines.)

6. jTreu

jTreu Member

I guess I'll have to try the CCH next itme im at GC, how voxy is the valvetech, cuase it uses 6v6s, so it cant be too voxy can it?

7. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

The Valvetech Hayseed has EL84's.

Wordsonyou has one - email him

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

The Valvetech site says their amp uses 2 x 6V6 for power tubes. Do they only offer this model now, and not the Hayseed any more?

9. jbow

jbow Member

The 6V6 model is the original Valvatech, the Hayseed "Vox" type amp is available upon request.

J

10. ahellam

ahellam Member

top hat makes a great one. the standard vox ac30 ri (not the cc, i havent tried them) are great.

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    You may want to check out these threads:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=678423
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52630
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55369

- AC30/6 TBX-RI
    As far as I know, the AC30/6 TBX-RI is still the closest clone of an original JMI-era AC30/6. I don't think anyone is building an exact clone of the three channels, and now that the TBX is out of production, I don't think anyone can claim that title. A good condition used TBX will run about $1500.

For current production amps, and depending on your budget, I'd look at:

- Mayfly BC-30
    http://www.mayfly.ca/bc30.html

"Normal channel with volume and shelving tone control.
    Top boost channel with volume, treble, and bass controls."

"The BC30 Electric guitar amplifier is about tone and reliability without compromise. We started with a great sounding classic amplifier, the VOX AC30 and made it our own.

"We improved the tone and touch response by adjusting the preamp gain and voicing. We improved the cut control to better dial out any upper harmonic harshness. We improved the normal channel by added a shelving style EQ. We made the circuit quieter by carefully designing the layout and grounding paths.

"We custom designed our own output transformer. We carefully selected the resistors, capacitors and tubes for the best tone and reliability. We increased flexibility by adding a master volume control, a standby switch, a speaker impedance selector, and an optional effects loop. We improved reliability by solving one of the classic problems of the AC30-heat dissipation.

"We reduced the bias current, reduced the plate voltage, oriented the tubes and transformers above the chassis, and drastically improved ventilation. We added other reliability features, such as output tube current sensing resistors."

- Vintone Acey Thirty
    http://www.vintone.com/aceythirty.html

"The amp has two channels; Normal and Bright. Each channel with a low and high input. The Normal channel has great warmth and smooth overdrive which 'Cleans" up nicely when backing down the guitar's volume knob. The Bright channel incorporates the infamous 'Top Boost' to provide higher headroom and gain. Also a very interactive Tone Stack to dial in the sounds that have eluded you for far too long!"

"The ACEY-THIRTY is tube rectified, unlike many other versions of this amp. This increases sustain and interaction between the amp and the player. It is very sensitive to pick attack, palm muting and other playing nuances.

"The tone stack is built true to the 1964 schematic with period correct values . Many changes to this circuit have occurred over the years. The 1964 version is considered by many to be the very best."

- Valvetech Hayseed
    http://www.valvetechamps.com/

I understand Rob can customize the Hayseed to include several AC30 circuits (e.g. '62 AC30/6 top boost, or AC30/4, and options like master volume, 1/2 power switch, and effects loop.

- Snake River (built by Scott Humphrey of Crispy Cream)
    http://www.treblebooster.com/snake_river_guitar_works.htm

The Snake River might be considered a 'best clone" in the sense that it has 3 AC30 channels (Pentode/ Triode/ Cathode Follower), but not 3 from a single era AC30 amp. Better to think of it as having one channel of 3 different era AC30s available:

Pentode - AC30/4 with EF86 front end
    Triode - AC30 non- topboost
    Cathode follower - AC30 top boost

- TopHat King Royal
    From threads here:
    "King Royal is its more "Brilliant" sounding top boost channel, its really alive, and mid scooped in a very musical way, while still retaining AC30 qualities, The Tophat King Royal is more true to the AC30 upper mid thing, more bark and chime."

"I think the King Royal has got the most Upper Mid character like an AC30"

- Also, forum member "MASCO" has built himself an AC30 clone (2 channels, instead of 3), but I'm not sure he's in production. You might want to contact him.

12. bjm007

bjm007 Member

If you don't want to get a real old one, I'd go with an AC30HW. Really sounds great with some good NOS tubes in there ;)

13. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Hayseed head is $899 add reverb $75. It is a 63 TB clone, except no trem channel. PTP wired
    Rob

14. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

That's like saying Dolly II is a clone even though it has no wool :horse

15. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Oh, I see now, I guess the HW aint a AC 30 clone either since it has no bypass channel, or the new CC is not a clone because it uses solid state reverb and trem,
    Gee my bad....
    Rob

16. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I have a AC type head I build.TB but no trem.Mercury Magnetics transformers,.09 aluminum chassis,1/8" G10 turret board.I don't have the camera at the shop today but can post pics tomorrow if interested.I don't do a line of amps just one offs but this one has been popular.
    Sorry for the shameless self promotion.

17. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

You want the AC-30 without the ludicrous high prices and lousy ventilation on the tubes? Try the Laney VC-30 series amps. It nails this AC-30 sound. You can get them used for around $500 or less

18. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Ouch!!!....FWIW I'll take the Hayseed any day w'ot the trem.....Trem for me is not a must maybe a bit of Rev instead.....:D

19. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I'll 2nd that and add that if one loves trem I don't think the trem on ac30 is the way to go (cough...brown fender...cough again).

Hayseed is a great clone imho. Sounds like many a JMI that I have owned. Through a 2-12 old silverdog cab it is indistingushable from the JMI's actually.

As for the CC getting bad reviews on TGP can someone point me to where? The CC has been getting glowing reviews from almost every person that has bought one. The only reason to not buy one imho is if you are afraid of PCB construction.

20. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Couldn't have been said better there wordsonyou, especially about the trem. Nothing sounds like a brownie.