Who makes a great JTM50 clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by haslar, Nov 14, 2005.

1. haslar

haslar Member

I'm considering building a 2-head setup, each being a single channel amp, with a single 4x12" G12Ms, using a Headbone to switch between heads.

Lead sound: Soldano Avenger 50W is a strong contender.
    Clean-ish Hendrixy sound: I'd love a '67 JTM50.

So:

Who makes a great JTM50 clone?

I've listed so far:
    - Germino Club40
    - Cornell 45/50

Price IS an issue, unfortunately...

... which is why I've just emailed Nik @ Ceriatone, and he's just replied:
    "Hi Richard,

Sure thing we can do this.

Now, technical:

1. The plexi 50 we have has HT of 325-0-325, while JTM45 is 350-0-350.
    Which would you like?

Both should work OK.

2. Can you send me a schematic of it? Im sure I have one here or can
    find, but maybe you got one that is more accurate than others."

So it seems Ceriatone have never built one before, so I wonder if can they can produce an amp that can compete with renowned builders like Germino or Cornell?

I cannot provide Nik with a JTM50 schematic, unfortunately. But isn't it basically a JTM45 preamp section, along with a 2xEL34 power amp, and a SS rectifier?

Last: I don't know what Nik is talking about when he mentions "HT 325-0-325, while JTM45 is 350-0-350". Does he talk about plate voltage?

Thanks
    :dude

2. rockytop blues

rockytop blues Member

I'll be willing to bet Rockytop will build you one at a decent price.

Thanks, Jesse:cool:

3. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

4. haslar

haslar Member

Jesse: email sent.
    :)

5. MK.II

MK.II Member

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that a JTM50 is a JTM45 preamp section with EL34s and a tube rectifier, not a SS rectifier.

Sorry, I don't know what the numbers mean.

Wallace Amplification makes a JTM50 clone. The last time I talked to Brian (Wallace) he said that he was making them. That was about 7 or 8 months ago. Don't have any idea about the price of one. I have his Marstran trannies in my reissue JTM45 head. They sound great.

http://www.wallaceamps.com

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

7. muddy

muddy Member

http://www.soultoneamps.com/products.html

i've got micky's revo-45 coming in a month, and if ANYONE can do a jtm45 justice, he can! billy gibbons is playing his londoner 18, and if that's what billy chooses to use, you can bet that it's a stellar amp. my revo-45 is coming with all the non-jtm trimmin's that bring the amp into the 21st century, but he does make 'em straight up too, if you want.

[​IMG]

ml

8. Brian Wallace

Brian Wallace Member

Hi haslar,

Nik is talking about the secondary AC voltage before rectification. The plate voltages should be 450VDC for a JTM45 and 420VDC for a JTM50 or early JMP 50W.

Hey Mel,

Yes, I'm making a JTM50 style amp. I'll have that amp, my BKW45 and a new 66 45/100W amp at the Detroit guitar show this year. Come on out and check them out.

9. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Not to further confuse you....but I and many others feakin LOVE the Germino Club 40. I've had mine about a year and a half and have never left the honeymoon stage. Good luck on your search.

10. MK.II

MK.II Member

Hey Brian,

I haven't made it to the last two shows but I'm hoping to make it this time. I've already started trying to get some guys together so that we can ride in one car. We'll see what happens! BTW, the amp sounds great!

11. jmp2204

jmp2204 Supporting Member

I recently got to spend some quality time with several examples of Brian W's work at my home, which made it a great way to test things out. In regards to a jtm 50, Brian totally rebuilt a friend's basket-case 67 jtm 50 with his trannies and I wound up getting to play Whitey for a while.

It had a really great smooth crunch that came up quickly (by 3 on the vol 1 knob) with a Duncan 59 in a korina WannaVee. Riding up the knob brought a bit more volume, but added more gain. Not a buzzy gain, but a It never got mushy or unfocused; the bottom end never wandered. And Whitey was LOUD, too. I think it probably sounded like it did when it was new. I want to have a clone made as soon as I can!

I also got to sample brian's trannies in a 66 Jtm 45/100 and it was outstanding as well. Brian is a Marshall Zen-Tech and he even got my 74 50-watter back with her original OT. Having played thru his work in a variety of amps, I was really impressed by each one.

12. tjs

tjs Senior Member

For a "Clean-ish Hendrixy sound", you can't beat the Club 40.

13. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I highly recommend Rockytop for an accurate JTM50 clone.

14. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Not to squash your idea, nor to cost anyone a sale, but you might consider ...

If I were wanting to have an amp like a JTM50 reproduced like this, I think I'd somehow find the extra $$$ to have it done right by a builder who's done it before and whose final product is acknowledged to be excellent. I think that would be the best use of your money. I know it's more expensive, but sometimes it's worth it.

Kiwi

bluesbreaker59 likes this.
  15. haslar

haslar Member

I emailed Jesse, but still haven't had any reply yet...
    Can anyone confirm his email address please?

I agree.
    Even though I have no doubts Ceriatone produce great clones, I find it a bit worrying to have to send widely available schematics to an amp builder...

The Germino Club40, while not an exact copy, sure does look tempting, as does the Cornell 45/50.

Jesse's take on the JTM50 woudl probably be cheaper, and more accurate a repro I guess.

Now, delay & price will get into the equation.

Also, if anyone ever A/Bd the Germino and the Cornell, I'd love to hear from you!
    :dude

16. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Jesse At RT did my JTM 45 and it has some great tone.

17. Roe

Roe Member

the cornell is not a clone - different trannys, tonestack and prescence controll